PC2 First News of Project CARS 2 DLC Packs Revealed

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 2 DLC and Pre Order Details Revealed.png

Well the game isn't out until around September 2017 but already we get our first look at some of the DLC due to be added to Project CARS 2 post go live later this year...

DLC or additional paid content is now seen as an essential way to extend the life expectancy and financial position of a game long after the original release, be it on console or PC and regardless of genre. Some love this new found industry policy and some yearn for the days of buying a physical disk in the shop and having the full and final package available from day one. However in 2017 DLC content post release is as inevitable as a poor Jeremy Clarkson pun or a misjudged Ferrari pitstop strategy, and Project CARS 2 will be no different from it's immediate PC and console rivals in that respect, with fresh news of some upcoming DLC packs that should be made available for the game once it releases toward the end of 2017.

Coming to light as part of the pre-order details surrounding the title, fans have now been made aware of two new DLC packs due to be added to the simulation and they contain a nice mix of iconic road and racing cars.

Following on from the trend started by Assetto Corsa, one of the packs coming to Project CARS 2 will focus on cars of a Japanese origin, with four attractive sounding machines from the land of the rising sun due to make their way to the sim, mixing up desirable road and race machines of both the real and concept car variety. The Japanese pack has come to light as it is due to form part of the package available to players who purchase the 'Project CARS 2 Ultra Edition' and as such individual DLC pack prices and release dates remain unannounced at this moment in time. You can check out the details of the cars due to be included below -

Japanese Car Pack:
  • Nissan’s infamous Group A R32 Skyline GT-R
  • Nissan’s sublime 280ZX GTX race car
  • The Euro-spec’ Honda Civic Type R, a modern day hot-hatch
  • Honda's 2&4 Concept Car—get a feel for the future with this 13,000rpm collaboration between automotive and motorcycle design that screams performance
As part of the same 'Ultra Edition' pre order deal, details of another exclusive release package have surfaced in the form of the Motorsports Pack DLC, however this collection of cars will not be released for the general public to purchase and will instead release as exclusive content to players who buy either the Ultra Edition, Collectors Edition or DLC Season Pass licence. Again containing four cars, the 'Motorsports Pack' is limited to some incredible racing cars of years past, from the 1974 Jaguar E-Type to the very recent TCR specification Opel (Vauxhall over here in Blighty) Astra TCR, a first official inclusion of a TCR specification car in a modern racing simulation. You can check out the contents of the exclusive 'Motorsports Pack' DLC below -

Motorsports Pack (Exclusive to Season Pass owners and/or Collector’s, and/or Ultra Edition owners).
  • The 1974 Jaguar E-Type V12, Group 44—beauty, speed, and an absolute motoring icon
  • The Panoz Esperante GTR-1—a ’90s GT stalwart
  • The Audi 1991 V8 DTM—a DTM legend with 460hp @ 9,500RPM
  • The 2016 Opel Astra TCR—a 300hp Touring Car monster
Additionally as has become normal practice in the gaming industry SMS will be making available a 'Season Pass' opportunity for gamers who anticipate purchasing all the DLC for Project CARS 2. Much like with other modern games, the Season Pass will be priced at a lower cost that purchasing each DLC individually and will make available all new DLCs plus some exclusive content mentioned above immediately upon release of the relevant pack.

Season Pass
"Project CARS 2 will be fully-supported post-launch with new, bold additional content featuring dozens of cars, as well as many tracks that will enhance and extend the overall experience. All these additional contents will be available to Season Pass holders the instant they are released at no charge"

For those of you interested in the limited edition 'Ultra Edition' Project CARS 2, the game is available to pre order on all platforms now and contains the following features:
  • Limited to only 1,000 copies
  • Includes the full Project CARS 2 game in an exclusively designed, premium-packaged Steelbook™ case, the world’s most sought-after collectable packaging
  • A 1/12 scale resin model car of the gorgeous McLaren 720S in one-off SMS-R Stealth Satin
  • The McLaren 720S Sketchbook: Take a unique journey through the development of this ground-breaking supercar. Exclusively created in partnership with the design team from McLaren, the book lifts the covers on the making of the 720S, including never-before-seen early sketches and models, clays and renders, and guides you all the way through to the final production of McLaren’s new supercar
  • The Project Cars 2 Art Book: A beautifully crafted book that takes you behind the scenes to reveal how the raw excitement of the racing world has been brought to life in the virtual realm. Featuring exclusive images taken throughout the development process, the 200-page book demonstrates the immense attention to detail that is the hallmark of the game, whilst showcasing the stunning new cars and true-to-life locations that make this the world’s premiere motorsports game
  • The Esport Live VIP Pass: Present this pass to any Slightly Mad Studios, or Bandai Namco staff member at Project CARS Esports live events anywhere in the world, and you will be treated to the full benefits that come from being a Project CARS VIP. Meet the team, jump to the front of the queue, or maybe even pick up some free swag!
  • An individually-numbered, embroidered Snapback cap
  • A stunning Project CARS 2 poster signed by the SMS team as well as the real-world drivers who make up Team SMS-R
  • A Project CARS 2 Sticker Sheet: Unique and stunning Project CARS, SMS-R, and Esports imagery and iconography
  • The exclusive Japanese Cars Pack. Revel in iconic JDM machinery with this added content that features four cars from iconic Japanese manufacturers Honda and Nissan:
  • Nissan’s infamous Group A R32 Skyline GT-R
  • Nissan’s sublime 280ZX GTX race car
  • The Euro-spec’ Honda Civic Type R, a modern day hot-hatch
  • Honda's 2&4 Concept Car—get a feel for the future with this 13,000rpm collaboration between automotive and motorcycle design that screams performance
  • The Season Pass: Project CARS 2 will be fully-supported post-launch with new, bold additional content featuring dozens of cars, as well as many tracks that will enhance and extend the overall experience. All these additional contents will be available to Season Pass holders the instant they are released at no charge
  • The Motorsport Pack*: Exclusively available to Season Pass holders, this exclusive, bonus pack of fan-favourite race cars includes:
  • The 1974 Jaguar E-Type V12, Group 44—beauty, speed, and an absolute motoring icon
  • The Panoz Esperante GTR-1—a ’90s GT stalwart
  • The Audi 1991 V8 DTM—a DTM legend with 460hp @ 9,500RPM
  • The 2016 Opel Astra TCR—a 300hp Touring Car monster
    *This content is not available for purchase, and only available to Season Pass holders, and/or Collector’s, and/or Ultra Edition owners

Project CARS 2 is scheduled for a release around September 2017 for both Xbox One and PlayStation 4 as well as on PC via the Steam network.

Project CARS 2 - 3.jpg
Project CARS 2 - 1.jpg
Project CARS 2 - 21.jpg

Want to know more about Project CARS 2? Fancy chatting to fellow game enthusiasts about what is known so far, or simply just to speculate on what the game could feature on release? Well look no further! Head over to the Project CARS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved with the community discussion right now!

Like the look of the first announced DLC's? Any car strike your fancy particularly? Will you be digging deep in the pockets for the Ultra Edition of the game? Let us know in the comments section below!

Honestly, I'm not very surprised. Like Pcars 1, I think Pcars 2 is going to be a milking machine, improved just enough to satisfy the buyers and promoted sales. I am definitely not buying this on release, maybe after a few months, if it turns out it's actually a good game. But right now SMS is promising more than they can implement properly. Just plain marketing at the moment.

• Deleted member 113561

Bad Marketing already, not to mention that the game might be badly optimized... again.
And you say that because you already tested the released version of Project CARS 2? ...

P.s. Project CARS 1 is excellently optimized - AMD GPUs running on low FPS was AMDs fault - it is common knowledge that at that time AMD was pretty much not optimizing game drivers

Last edited by a moderator:
Announcing DLC`s before release and not even showing more things, well, then im not going to buy it and im going to play it the other way :)
I hope that doesn't mean what I think it does.

Anyway, I'm really not bothering with this. The milking machine in full motion right before my eyes. I'd be foolish to part with my hard earned.
Especially since a title I bought years ago is seeing some rejuvenation and TLC by S397. I'll stick with the free updates from them until they release a paid DLC pack which I will glady pay for as they've already given without showing a need to receive yet.
Support the Devs that are passionate about the sport and the hobby. Not these suits interested only in your money and first born...

Note that although AC is my sim of choice I am not an AC fanboy and hope the PC2 experience will be a positive one. I've given PC1 more than 130 hours of my life. Mostly about 110 hours of utter disappointment, so those are the only to titles I will mention in my somewhat lengthy rant. PC2 started peaking my interest especially after an article I read on PRC indicated that the physics in the current build apparently mimics the feel of RFactor2 - I'm not a fan of RF2 but it has good physics and that sounds really positive especially combined with something as visually stunning as PC right? I am a bit concerned that its starting to look like a GT\Forza contender based on the sheer volume of content that they are planning on pushing, so we will wait and see. The weather and water simulation looks extremely promising given that is one thing PC1 did very well... But day one DLC was also part of the whole PC1 experience if I recall correctly starting to make this look VERY similar to how PC1 started.

My 2c worth RANT:

Seeing that I own PC1 (pre-ordered) with all the DLC purchased (thinking that if I invested in SMS more, they would have more resources at their disposal allowing them to spend the time and effort to actually fix the bloody game instead of "fixing" it and selling it as PC2 - which still remains to be seen). THAT really P!SSES me off. WTF... and here we go with the well documented track record of SMS that precedes PC2.
  • Build a racing sim tested by "1000s of simracers and real race drivers" OMG the best thing since, I don't know,...The big bang or maybe Christ resurrecting Lazarus from the dead? But they release a broken game with day one DLC. On the day of release, it is poorly optimized, physics are weird, some graphical issues, but at least its pretty (if it runs). It struggles to get 60FPS on GTX980 SLI, I7 2600k@ 4.2Ghz with 32GB of high end gaming RAM (and then we won't event ask anyone with an AMD based GPU how their Project Cars power-point presentation went...) = Community freak out.
  • FFB is as poor as hell, requiring a doctorate in astrophysics and a direct link to your ancestors in the spiritual realm to get any decent feel out of it, provided you can spend hours trying to figure out what all those sliders do and what they actually mean. Thank God for Jack Spade...
  • Then they release the first fix and guess what, they optimize the way the rain drops run across the body of the car? (= community freak out), but who gives a damn about poor performance and weird car + AI behavior, texture corruption and any other pre-alpha QC issues because that looks better now right?
  • Then we got DLC with some very nice cars and many other fixes. Still can't take the BMW LMRv12 around LeMans worth a sh!t without the textures and filters going fuzzy though. This has been a known issue in the game from day one and I'm not the only person who contacted SMS support about it - still waiting on a response from them.
    Seeing that google and the community is your friend instead of SMS who gladly accepted my money and should at least bother with a response to an official support query, I found that the only "fix" is to disable AA using that particular track and car combo (making the game even prettier :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: ).
  • Then a couple of months after release... Sorry guys no Nintendo support... flipping the bird to those Kickstarter backers who actually paid to have this on Nintendo (irrespective whether the platform could handle it. Lesson: Don't promise something unless you are 100% certain you can deliver especially when people pay upfront to back your game based on that particular expectation) A refund is NOT good enough because those customers will never come back even having moved on to other platforms.
  • 2 Years down the line PC still has weird car physics behavior not to mention "interesting" AI issues. This is 2 years after release folks...
  • Oh BTW triple screen as we had promised in our Kicksetarter campaign (which obviously failed dismally and we ran out of money - OOPS, sorry about that) Will not see the light of day in PC1.
  • LAST STRAW: Just after the PC1 release "Guess what guys PC2 is coming to a friendly neighborhood Steam server near you with TRIPLE SCREEN SUPPORT + all the other features that didn't make it into PC1 (read PC2 paid Beta testing program). BTW we are starting another Kickstarter campaign so, we would like some more of your money allowing you to engage in another involuntary (but really intimate) prison shower experience, whilst you are picking up some PC2 branded powdered soap in the process" You may feel some slight discomfort.
    Another monumental WTF moment.
All this being said, no current Sim is perfect, that's a given and seeing another sim like GTR2 is possible but probably unlikely.
  • PC has its shortcomings mentioned above. At least it has some nice tracks and cars. In VR it looks bloody stunning. Especially in a full on thunderstorm.
  • AC has issues around the community wanting "standard features" like a proper career mode, weather and day night transitions and not getting it, but IMO the physics are good (just stick with the current tire model) and the VR experience is not too shabby either.
In conclusion... I may wait for many, many, many stellar long term reviews and one hell of a Steam Black Friday discount before I consider supporting SMS again. But I really do hope that I am wrong and that they get it right this time although I wont back this horse until I am indisputably proven wrong.

Post Edit PS: I personally don't have an issue with DLC, even day one DLC (which is always a risk). I bought all the PC1 stuff didn't I? I have a problem with a potentially similar picture emerging based on one that left me and a number of other people feeling disappointed, disillusioned and ripped off. PC1 isn't all bad, aint all good either so the waiting game (for me at least) is best.

euer31 rightfully pointed out in a later post that it was not Kickstarter but a crowd funding campaign... My bad (Tomato..."t'may-toh")

Last edited:
Guys to those saying about milking, if you were the producer of this game and you had, say, 100 or so unique cars (they say 170 but i think this inclues versions of some of the same), how many cars would you be putting into the base game and how many tracks? This game is going to sell for 45 or 50 euros I pressume, like the first one. If you make a simple division, do you think it is worth your time and effort as a game designer to offer that kind of ridiculous price per car and track?

Please, spare us the crocodile tears, especially when you then go on to fork money for DLC in AC (fairly cheap), DLC in R3E (very expensive if you want to own the whole gama, but licensed series) and i m not even going to mention iRacing, because it's in a different league with its multiplayer mode. Not to mention 3rd party mods, which are in general worth it, but they re still not cheap, they deserve the support imo.

But then you want to pay less than 50cents for each car, i m not even putting the newly scanned tracks into this deal. When you look at it in this light, DLC is a MUST if a developer that respects his work, wants to keep himself in the business and feel that at the end of the day, all this was worth it.

Hmmm...DLC pushing before any real sign of the quality of the finished game is a bit worrying. I like the game plus DLC offers when the quality of the game is already known. For example, the higher quality reviews for Forza 6 and Forza Horizon 3 were out long before the games were released and buying the game plus DLC at a reduced price was good with me. If I know the game is high quality and going to offer plenty of hours of play value then I'm ok with it. Sadly the pCARS1 experience says that might not be the case.

The pack itself looks OK and it is only 1000 so hardly being forced on anyone. It's no different from similar offerings for Fallout 4 or HALO and almost every company uses the limited time/number weapons of influence to boost sales. There are always super fans who want this stuff. If people knew the game was already great and would work well on day one they'd be more successful with this and get less backlash.

Note that although AC is my sim of choice I am not an AC fanboy and hope the PC2 experience will be a positive one. I've given PC1 more than 130 hours of my life. Mostly about 110 hours of utter disappointment, so those are the only to titles I will mention in my somewhat lengthy rant. PC2 started peaking my interest especially after an article I read on PRC indicated that the physics in the current build apparently mimics the feel of RFactor2 - I'm not a fan of RF2 but it has good physics and that sounds really positive especially combined with something as visually stunning as PC right? I am a bit concerned that its starting to look like a GT\Forza contender based on the sheer volume of content that they are planning on pushing, so we will wait and see. The weather and water simulation looks extremely promising given that is one thing PC1 did very well... But day one DLC was also part of the whole PC1 experience if I recall correctly starting to make this look VERY similar to how PC1 started.

My 2c worth RANT:

Seeing that I own PC1 (pre-ordered) with all the DLC purchased (thinking that if I invested in SMS more, they would have more resources at their disposal allowing them to spend the time and effort to actually fix the bloody game instead of "fixing" it and selling it as PC2 - which still remains to be seen). THAT really P!SSES me off. WTF... and here we go with the well documented track record of SMS that precedes PC2.
  • Build a racing sim tested by "1000s of simracers and real race drivers" OMG the best thing since, I don't know,...The big bang or maybe Christ resurrecting Lazarus from the dead? But they release a broken game with day one DLC. On the day of release, it is poorly optimized, physics are weird, some graphical issues, but at least its pretty (if it runs). It struggles to get 60FPS on GTX980 SLI, I7 2600k@ 4.2Ghz with 32GB of high end gaming RAM (and then we won't event ask anyone with an AMD based GPU how their Project Cars power-point presentation went...) = Community freak out.
  • FFB is as poor as hell, requiring a doctorate in astrophysics and a direct link to your ancestors in the spiritual realm to get any decent feel out of it, provided you can spend hours trying to figure out what all those sliders do and what they actually mean. Thank God for Jack Spade...
  • Then they release the first fix and guess what, they optimize the way the rain drops run across the body of the car? (= community freak out), but who gives a damn about poor performance and weird car + AI behavior, texture corruption and any other pre-alpha QC issues because that looks better now right?
  • Then we got DLC with some very nice cars and many other fixes. Still can't take the BMW LMRv12 around LeMans worth a sh!t without the textures and filters going fuzzy though. This has been a known issue in the game from day one and I'm not the only person who contacted SMS support about it - still waiting on a response from them.
    Seeing that google and the community is your friend instead of SMS who gladly accepted my money and should at least bother with a response to an official support query, I found that the only "fix" is to disable AA using that particular track and car combo (making the game even prettier :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: ).
  • Then a couple of months after release... Sorry guys no Nintendo support... flipping the bird to those Kickstarter backers who actually paid to have this on Nintendo (irrespective whether the platform could handle it. Lesson: Don't promise something unless you are 100% certain you can deliver especially when people pay upfront to back your game based on that particular expectation) A refund is NOT good enough because those customers will never come back even having moved on to other platforms.
  • 2 Years down the line PC still has weird car physics behavior not to mention "interesting" AI issues. This is 2 years after release folks...
  • Oh BTW triple screen as we had promised in our Kicksetarter campaign (which obviously failed dismally and we ran out of money - OOPS, sorry about that) Will not see the light of day in PC1.
  • LAST STRAW: Just after the PC1 release "Guess what guys PC2 is coming to a friendly neighborhood Steam server near you with TRIPLE SCREEN SUPPORT + all the other features that didn't make it into PC1 (read PC2 paid Beta testing program). BTW we are starting another Kickstarter campaign so, we would like some more of your money allowing you to engage in another involuntary (but really intimate) prison shower experience, whilst you are picking up some PC2 branded powdered soap in the process" You may feel some slight discomfort.
    Another monumental WTF moment.
All this being said, no current Sim is perfect, that's a given and seeing another sim like GTR2 is possible but probably unlikely.
  • PC has its shortcomings mentioned above. At least it has some nice tracks and cars. In VR it looks bloody stunning. Especially in a full on thunderstorm.
  • AC has issues around the community wanting "standard features" like a proper career mode, weather and day night transitions and not getting it, but IMO the physics are good (just stick with the current tire model) and the VR experience is not too shabby either.
In conclusion... I may wait for many, many, many stellar long term reviews and one hell of a Steam Black Friday discount before I consider supporting SMS again. But I really do hope that I am wrong and that they get it right this time although I wont back this horse until I am indisputably proven wrong.

What I hated about pCars is that you would complain about a bug and nothing would happen. Then someone would make an innocuous comment about another user or criticise SMS and the whole might of the Forum moderators would come down and permanently ban the user from the forums.

Everyone keeps talking about the way the name game looks and being able to run it in 8k and I even heard 12K????? So far though no word on fixing all the physics issues you mentioned from pCars1.

I too pre-ordered pCars (first and last time) and bought all the DLC. Once I tried Assetto Corsa I just uninstalled pCars and made the switch to AC permanently.

The same bashing here that pCars sells graphics and DLC's then go to rFactor2 to say sh*t about its graphics and buy AMS DLC's...

We all get that people in here are astrophysics and just want to have a F1 real simulator at hon to drive in their chair with their Logitech g27 (as I do). But you can just not buy. Not enter. Not click. Have a life. Play what you want. F*ck. Fap. Whatever keep you calm.

But damn, haters gonna hate.

I won't buy that packs because of the price. Other way i will probably get that SnapBack and add it to the collection. But I prefer saving that money difference to other stuff. Good for them if they sell them all (they will). A company needs and want money. That's why you create a company.

Im not a big fan of DLC's, but i think its okay if its beeing used like in Assetto Corsa, where you get new Content after the Release (in my opinion AC is a good example, not only how they use/sell the DLC but also how its made, what you get for the price, like 7 cars for 7€). But what SMS is doing, makes me hate DLC's, its okay if you say you get this and that car pack (like: " there will be a Japanese Car pack, but we dont know which cars yet") but if they even announce the cars which will be in the pack, then its just money making, there are still 4(!!) Months left, shouldn't this be enough time to put those 4 cars in the game as Standart content?! This is just one of the few reasons which makes me dislike the whole PCars franchise...
(To be fair, that McLaren model would be a reason to pre-order this whole pack :D )
Ps. Im sorry if my english has some mistakes^^

I'm totally fine with DLC if it's clearly produced after the game launches. Let's say Dirt 4 adds a new location or two after 4-6 months, I'll gladly pay for that.
It's when they announce DLC packs long before release you get the impression these things are basically just locked out of the game to make you pay even more that's BS.

• Steelbook™ case, the world’s most sought-after collectable packaging
  • A 1/12 scale resin model car of the gorgeous McLaren 720S in one-off SMS-R Stealth Satin
  • The McLaren 720S Sketchbook
  • The Project Cars 2 Art Book
  • An individually-numbered, embroidered Snapback cap
  • A stunning Project CARS 2 poster signed by the SMS team as well as the real-world drivers who make up Team SMS-R
  • A Project CARS 2 Sticker Sheet: Unique and stunning Project CARS
I see the target audience is about 9 years of age. :D:roflmao:
Maybe we could do sticker swaps on here. Anyone got the 650s in yellow? Swap ya for my 488 in Red. :rolleyes:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 119 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 161 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 304 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 434 39.5%