GT Omega PRIME Aluminium Profile Cockpit

There are used cars cheaper than these few bits of steel ^^

More seriously, is it preferable to have a single screen or a triple screens on this type of setup ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There are used cars cheaper than these few bits of steel ^^

Yes, perhaps !
Add options and the price goes high too quickly.
What's more : every vendor sells the same aluminum profiles. Prices should go down.

Seats are expensive too. Who needs an FIA approved one on a sim rig ?

More seriously, is it preferable to have a single screen or a triple screens on this type of setup ?

No idea but Chris Haye seems to have one in this video.
I would stick to a single screen, and add VR in the more or less close future.

Upvote 0

BP

Premium
Seems I'm slightly ahead of the curve LOL (planning on replacing the seat soon, but it's funny they finally dropped a 80/20 rig right after I upgraded from their wheelstand rig)

IMG-4543 small.jpg

Upvote 0

BP

Premium

Depends on who you ask, but triples are in my opinion the best ratio of comfort, visibility and immersion. A single screen, even the biggest best ultrawide, is compromising seeing cars properly positioned in your peripheral vision, not to mention it'll only render in single screen mode A.K.A. you're gonna get "fisheye effect" stretching/distortion on the sides of the screen. The drawbacks to triples are they require the most PC horsepower depending on resolution and it takes up the most physical space.

I've had lots of fun on single screen for years, but it's no comparison once you've experienced properly setup triples.

My original rig 4 years ago:

2017-03-07 11.54.01.jpg

Upvote 0
Depends on who you ask, but triples are in my opinion the best ratio of comfort, visibility and immersion. A single screen, even the biggest best ultrawide, is compromising seeing cars properly positioned in your peripheral vision, not to mention it'll only render in single screen mode A.K.A. you're gonna get "fisheye effect" stretching/distortion on the sides of the screen. The drawbacks to triples are they require the most PC horsepower depending on resolution and it takes up the most physical space.

I've had lots of fun on single screen for years, but it's no comparison once you've experienced properly setup triples.

View attachment 421801

Last edited:
Upvote 0

View attachment 421801
Industry standard cable management :thumbsup: ;)

Upvote 0
It's good to see companies like GT Omega, Trak Racer etc. moving into more serious rigs, however Aluminium Extrusion sim rigs need more innovation.

I recall looking at a similar looking silver Heusinkveld 160x40mm Sim Rigs nearly 5 years ago in early 2016, and this rig looks very similar.

Upvote 0
It's good to see companies like GT Omega, Trak Racer etc. moving into more serious rigs, however Aluminium Extrusion sim rigs need more innovation.

I recall looking at a similar looking silver Heusinkveld 160x40mm Sim Rigs nearly 5 years ago in early 2016, and this rig looks very similar.
You can buy all the parts from Motedis, I recall that they also have complete kits.

Upvote 0
It's kind of tough for companies to stand out from the crowd with aluminum profile. Because they're using standard parts, about all you can really do is offer better adjustability, innovative mounts, a different seat, and change the colors.

Upvote 0
There's room for innovation in the profile-built rig market. Color, for one. So far, it's black or silver. I've seen some gorgeous, custom rigs in a variety of colors.

Another area would be space-frame type construction with 4040 profile. You could do a Formula style layout, among other things. I've seen 1 or 2 space-frame type rigs; they're gorgeous and look nothing like these cookie-cutter designs.

Yet another area is seat mounts. Most commerical mounts are sloppy and have play/vibration. Linear bearings with 40-series profile allows tight mounting with adjustability. I'm surprised no one has done this, either.

How about convertible rigs? Moveable/flippable assemblies for wheels, flight sticks, rudder pedals, etc. Most Sim enthusiasts would welcome an expanded use for their rig for flight and space sims. There's plenty of innovation here, for a company that wants to pursue it.

Finally - for a really out-there idea - how about a projector-based all-in-one rig. Profile + flexible screen material could allow you to do a true, 180-degree, seamless wraparound screen. Couple this with a 4K projector + appropriate (anamorphic?) lens, and you'd have something rivalling the $500k commerical flight sims. How gorgeous would that be? In theory, profile-based rigs could make this fairly easy, with everything precut and ready to go.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
^^ a space frame 4040 rig is probably cheaper too as it uses way less aluminium

160x40 gives no benefit and weighs a ton in to the bargain.

My 8040 based rig is super super rigid — and could be made more rigid with some extra braces rather than putting it on 160x40 extrusion.

You could probably use 4040 for the base and with some extra bracing make it as rigid or more so.

I’d rather add the weight to brace the wheel uprights - the base itself being that rigid is a waste of time.

Upvote 0
I’d like to upgrade to an Aluminium Profile rig one day, I even looked into ordering all the sections from various suppliers but couldn’t be arsed to work out exactly which bits I’d need and which brackets etc. I think it came in at under £300. £560 is too much for me, I’m happy with my GT Omega ART setup for now.
Also the RS6 seat is too thin on the cushioning!
Get the RS9 if you are into races that last more than 20 mins...

Upvote 0

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 86 19.5%
  • €151-500

Votes: 120 27.2%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 72 16.3%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 38 8.6%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 43 9.8%