MGP17 First Look at MotoGP17 (?)

Leading up to the MotoGP weekend in Argentina, Milestone have posted a few images (probably) showing content from the new game. Unsurprisingly, the images look rather disappointing.

17814690_1156689244457556_6198039917017199434_o.jpg

17834024_1156689687790845_8036473464324926062_o.jpg

For as much as can be told from the five screenshots posted, there looks to be no major improvements over last year in terms of 3D model quality, textures or track surroundings.

He does a 1.41.6 on his second atempt.
Keep in mind that :
- he hasn't played a MotoGP game in a while
- it's his first laps in the new game
- he's not used to the new Catalunya chicane
- he's just testing it, not trying to be the quickest

I bet he (and a lot of us) will again be playing our career mode using the worst bike, starting last, giving a 5s head start to the AI and still be first in 3 laps :(

A career mode not that deep, a clunky UI and lots of unnecessary loading screens, bad menu music, average physics, wrong tracks layouts and bike/rider modeling, poor customization, dated graphics, no dynamic weather, no flag to flag, no ride through, no jump start, wrong tire selection and tire wear, no injury/breakdown system, a dumb AI ... I could forget ALL THAT if only I had a little bit of challenge in race ...

Robo46 just posted his first impressions :
I haven't watched the video yet but I know he's a good player. I liked his league videos for VRTG, Ride and Ride 2.
He's the only guy who makes videos who knows what he's talking about. I don't like youtubers, they're cancer. He's just a chill guy though.

The game is like VRTG with major sound improvements, slight tracks remapping and a deepened career mode. That's it.

Anyway, I played a bit with "FavouriteTracks" attribute in SkillsCatalog, I added Catalunya to Rossi's properties and made him as bad as Miller. It worked fine, I think it can be used to randomize AI even further in some tracks.

Oh and PSA : lots of people playing on console already report a bug in manager career mode : they are not getting money from sponsors after each race. No idea if it's gonna affect the PC version as well but keep an eye on that.

EDIT : About AI lap times, on another video I found the AI pace on the hardest difficulty in Catalunya.
AI Qualif : 1.41.9
AI Race : 1.42.8
Decent player : around 1.41
So yeah, thanks once again Milestones ! ...

Last edited:
Got my hands on the game at midnight release and clocked in about three hours of gameplay between then and getting up for work two hours ago^^ Here's a few of my impressions (I'll start with the positives):

POSITIVE:
  • The Manager mode is actually fairly refreshing. It does have a nice feel to it that you make decisions affecting your team, and you can actually see that effect. (Example: I hired a new crew member, and my teammate improved from being dead last to qualifying 29th and finishing 31st - not much of an improvement, but it's something.)
  • From what I can tell so far, the bike handling is closer to Ride 2 than to VR:TG - which is a good thing. With all assists off, the bike will wobble around the racetrack like Dovizioso on his way to Mugellos first corner. You can also notice this when making contact with another rider down the straight - both bikes might start hopping around. Still not life-like, but certainly an improvement.
  • The bike models are at least a small improvement over the last iteration of the game. While still not fully accurate, they do seem more true to their real-life equivalents. In addition, the engine sound is really, really the biggest improvement. From last year's ridiculous screaming to a fairly accurate representation of real bike sound, this adds a lot to the immersion.
NEGATIVE:
  • It's been mentioned before, we all expected it - the tracks are horrible again. While you do notice some improvements here and there, it's plain to see that mostly, the models are the same as last year, or at least very close. Again, the tracks are Milestone's biggest weakness.
  • The overall presentation is boring, lifeless and dull. Codemasters have shown what you can do with a fully licensed world championship game in terms of presentation, but Milestone are lightyears behind that. Yes, there's now a variety of four different celebration scenes in the Parc Fermé, but other than that, nothing changed at all. No podium, nothing. A huge disappointment, seeing as this has been requested by fans for years now.
  • Another one of Milestone's everlasting woes - the AI. For a second I thought about mentioning it both as a positive and a negative, but it ends up being down here. Why? Well: On the highest difficulty setting, AI riders will look for overtaking opportunities (at least against each other) and fairly cleverly change their line to go for such an opportunity. But: Against the player, the AI is as horrid as always. They lack all forms of spacial awareness, would rather crash into the player or force them off track than to take evasive action or cede a position.
Conclusion:
I would really love to be able to recommend the game. But as it is, it's only a small improvement over VR:TG, and if you're on a budget and have either MotoGP 15 or VR:TG, it's absolutely not worth it. The only improvement in Gameplay is the new manager mode, which is fun, but long-term motivation is a question yet to be answered. All other aspects that we here at RD have been discussing for years have largely been neglected, save for the sound.

So, all in all: It's another nice arcade game well suited to milking the franchise and making lots of money off of casual gamers who want the licensed bikes and tracks; but for someone who's looking for a real motorbike racing simulation, unsurprisingly, MotoGP 17 is not the way to go.

ok guys maybe have discovered a bug i'm note sure, but have played the gran prix option and starting the qualifing on mugello,first lap and at "san donato" curve failed the breking point i'm gone away and when i restart have damaged the bike so i'm gone to box to repair, but surprise there no option to repair the bike so i must finished the quali with the bike damaged, i had not tried with vrtg the gran prix but someone of you had the same experience?

ok guys maybe have discovered a bug i'm note sure, but have played the gran prix option and starting the qualifing on mugello,first lap and at "san donato" curve failed the breking point i'm gone away and when i restart have damaged the bike so i'm gone to box to repair, but surprise there no option to repair the bike so i must finished the quali with the bike damaged, i had not tried with vrtg the gran prix but someone of you had the same experience?
I didnt have this issu but I tried to damage bike during a race with heavy damage option but it works after 200kmh crashes :D

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 107 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 282 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 411 40.0%