First Lap of Autodromo Hermano Rodriguez

Chris

Premium
In just over two weeks time, the Formula One circus will descend on Mexico for the first time in 23 years.

The Grand Prix will take place around the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez; a 4.3 kilometre track with a layout that remains largely unchanged since the last time a Grand Prix was held here. The main alteration comes at the expense of the absolutely epic final corner, Peraltada, which is essentially a more consistent radii, longer and faster version of Monzas' Parabolica. The change sees Peraltada cut in half as the track weaves it's way into a stadium section and under a grandstand before entering the second half of the Peraltada and blasting to the finish line.

Sergio-Perez-2014.jpg

Hometown favourite, Sergio Perez, will be keen to impress in front of what will be a sold out Grand Prix venue especially after his inspired drive last time out in Sochi to claim 3rd place after holding it for a vast period before losing it on the penultimate lap, all before reclaiming it on the final lap after the dramatic shunt between Kimi Raikkonen and Valtteri Bottas.

With the next race taking place in Texas, the previous years Grands Prix have been well attended thanks to a large influx of Mexican fans crossing the boarder to watch their underdog hero. However, now that they've got their own Grand Prix, concerns have been raised that this years US Grand Prix may not be all that well attended as those same Mexican supporters will prefer to go to their own race instead of the one just over the boarder a week earlier, combined with the fact that Formula One has been trying yet struggling to gain traction with Americans over the past few years.

Over to you!
Do you like the new Mexican Grand Prix layout? Can Sergio Perez deliver another fantastic performance in front of his passionate home crowd? And should the Texan Grand Prix be concerned that a large portion of their usual audience may not attend this years race?

Last edited:
What a perfect T-cam angle !!! :inlove:
Codemasters, you hear that ? :sneaky:
Track ? Doh... 6/10.
Too Mickey Mouse to me.
Bring back Mosport. :x3: And Spa. :rolleyes: '67. :D

edit:
This is artificial modern track. I recon there could (I really hope there won't be) some serious problem with old school run off areas and some suspicious looking walls way too close to the track. I pray for a sunny weather at least.

Last edited:
Alert, alert!!! The F1 hooligans ruined another classic track.
After the Österreichring, Hockenheim, Fuji, Spa now they ruined another classic track. Gone is the Peraltada, gone are the esses. Now it is a 90° left, 90° right and a few kinks. Pity.

Alert, alert!!! The F1 hooligans ruined another classic track.
After the Österreichring, Hockenheim, Fuji, Spa now they ruined another classic track. Gone is the Peraltada, gone are the esses. Now it is a 90° left, 90° right and a few kinks. Pity.
The esses are still present in the current layout, turns 7 through to 11.

A bit flat, I am fan of elevations and blind corners, but still looks good to me. And enjoyable for spectators at least.

They just killed it.
Yea but what you don't realize is that for modern racing that version of the track would provide completely **** racing. Since cars are more reliant on downforce than ever, having aload of high speed corners in succession will kill what little racing there is left.

If they removed the wings, sure you could say the ruined it, potentially they ruined it for motorcycle racing, but face the reality, the changes made it will help F1 racing there. I will stick my neck out and suggest the racing will be very good there, even in the first year, for F1.

Shame they modified it after the double apex right hander. It always looked more of a challenge in the 90's because it looked so damn bumpy. I enjoyed the Indycar races there and I think one year they did use the Peraltada but with a chicane before it to try and keep the speeds down a little, like @gamer19 mentions there was a wall of concrete on your left all the way around (not sure what they did, built a housing estate!?) EDIT: Found a vid of 2007 Indycar. That year they did miss out the stadium section and used Peraltada, shame the track was so heavily altered on that corner. Should still be a fun circuit though......pity those Honda drivers, those long straights are gonna hurt....

Last edited:
This shows how much of the layout they changed. The reality is, it's not changed drastically, besides the Peraltada.
http://parentesis.com/imagesPosts/AUTODROMO 2.jpg
So I think people are remembering a false nostalgic memory rather than how the track actually was.

Remember modern F1 cars can't follow well through tight, fast corners. So having it remain and become an 'F1' event wouldn't make sense. It had to be changed. The circuit as it used to be was never remembered as a CLASSIC anyway, so I'm a bit confused as to why so many people seem to care now Tilke has touched it.

The old and new layouts are on par with each other, where both of them were/are fantastic. They've done a great job of bringing the place up to date with the requirements of a modern day circuit.

Yes, many would say modern circuits are bland, but this surely isn't one of them. A great transition.

Tilke strikes again. Just how many tracks will he be allowed to destroy before someone stops him. Can count his good creations on one hand.

This shows how much of the layout they changed. The reality is, it's not changed drastically, besides the Peraltada.
http://parentesis.com/imagesPosts/AUTODROMO 2.jpg
So I think people are remembering a false nostalgic memory rather than how the track actually was.

Remember modern F1 cars can't follow well through tight, fast corners. So having it remain and become an 'F1' event wouldn't make sense. It had to be changed. The circuit as it used to be was never remembered as a CLASSIC anyway, so I'm a bit confused as to why so many people seem to care now Tilke has touched it.

Come and join us in the anti-Tilke circle-jerk.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 98 12.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 74 9.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 79 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 51 6.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 108 13.7%