Finding the right monitor

Hi,
Right now I am using a Dell S2716DGR 2560x1440 144HZ gaming monitor with G-Sync, but it is a TN panel. I would really like to get a monitor with the same specs but in a IPS Panel and maybe a little larger. I drive almost always in chase camera mode now and with my new RTX2080 card I have had frame rates as low as 51 FPS in real busy times. Usually my frame rates average in the high 80 to low 90 range with settings as high as they go. [ Ultra-High ] But in some real busy scenes they have dropped into the low 50's. Even with frame rates this low the visuals are still amazing. What would you guys suggest if money was not an issue? I am getting 98-99% usage on the GPU and in the high 60's-low 70's for the CPU usage so those numbers are in what I feel is a sweet spot. I am concerned that if I get anything with a refresh rate below 144HZ I won't be able to keep my frame rates above 50 FPS. All comments, good, bad, or ugly are welcome.
Thanks,
Roger

Last edited:
LOL! You guys should have told me how dumb I am. After some more study the light came on. FPS is determined by the CPU and GPU. The monitor has nothing to do with it, it just limits what can be displayed.
If I buy a monitor that has a refresh rate of 120 I will get FPS of up to 120. Just because I have a monitor with a refresh rate of 144 does not mean that I will get a frame rate of 144 FPS. I never had that figured out until today:) So since I am happy with my present FPS, I will buy that 34" monitor, yea.

After pulling my hair out over FPS, input lag, and stuttering in Assetto Corsa, I try not to ever even think about refresh rates and FPS. :sick: If the game looks and feels ok, I just quietly move on.
Good point and I agree. Yesterday I disabled AA in the options page and let the version built into the RTX card handle Anti-Aliasing and that seems to be the answer. FPS is almost doubled now so there must have been some kind of a conflict going on. I am now confident that the new 34.5 monitor will look and feel good. You are so right, that is all that really matters:)

LOL! You guys should have told me how dumb I am. After some more study the light came on. FPS is determined by the CPU and GPU. The monitor has nothing to do with it, it just limits what can be displayed.
If I buy a monitor that has a refresh rate of 120 I will get FPS of up to 120. Just because I have a monitor with a refresh rate of 144 does not mean that I will get a frame rate of 144 FPS. I never had that figured out until today:) So since I am happy with my present FPS, I will buy that 34" monitor, yea.

Well I bought the new monitor. I got the Alienware AW3418DW and it is great. This thing is a monster! When driving the logging roads of Oregon I turn the mirrors off so I can see more. The picture quality is as good if not better than my Dell S2716DG. At first I was a bit turned off by the picture quality but then I found TFT Central and changed those factory default settings to the recommended TFT Central settings and, WOW, what a difference. The colors and picture quality came alive and my frame rates are staying between 110 and 120. None of the light bleed or dead pixels or flickering that has been reported by others. So far I have only played ATS, Project Cars, and Dirt Rally on it and this 34" screen makes all the difference in the world for me. Highly recommended. Best Buy price matched it at $849.00 (regular $1,299.00) and plugged it in and made sure everything was good before I took it home.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back