Finding out whether your FPS are CPU or graphics card limited

Do just take the "unreal is cpu intensive" unmeasured blah-blah statements.

Do this:
  • get framerate in a reproducible way that you like
  • go into the BIOS and downclock your CPU by 1/3rd, repeat benchmark
  • download an overclocking utility for your graphics card and use it to downclock your GPU by 1/3rd, repeat benchmark
  • for added fidelity, do same for:
  • RAM
  • graphic card RAM

I don't have time right now but I'll post mine later.

We need a reference thread about hardware-to-fps anyway.

Do we know if ACC is single rendering thread bottlenecked like AC.
Hard to gauge based on the current unoptimized state of the game and lack of in game rendering stats monitoring.
ACC_GraphicSettings.JPG

ACC_RaceSettings.JPG

ACC_Limit_Test_1.JPG

As you can see the fps dropped below 60 fps while using vsync. So something was limiting Cpu or gpu!
The GPU load was quite high but not in the moment I took the Screenshot! (race start, last position).
ProcessExplorer shows 4 big threads. One in the cpu limit (8 thread CPU, 100/8=12.5% per thread) with 11.88% or at least fluctuating against the limit.
A second one is very close and then it drops.

Looks better than AC! But still you'd only really need 4 cores.

What should be interesting to know:
What's the CPU load for someone having the recommended config !
All I saw for now is mostly .... GPU and Fps matters

If this recommended CPU ( including all other recommended hardwares ) is also very highly used ..... it should not be astonishing that most all other configs will have some problems.
Of course optimization is still needed and will surely happen .... but how important is this optimization needed ?

• Deleted member 197115

1080Ti cannot sustain stable 60fps on 4K, and this is flat screen. VR will get much worse.
Yes, it needs lots and lots of optimization.

• Deleted member 197115

Can you sustain 60fps in 4k in pcars 2? For me the graphics look pretty similar and acc definitely runs better in fullhd on my 1070!
Yes, rain was an issue but manageable with small adjustments to some params.
ACC struggles during the day, no opponent cars, dropping FPS in turns.

60 fps this 60fps that...
I don't know about you guys, but even on 60Hz monitor i'd strive for more. The FFB at 80-100fps is noticeably sharper and below 50fps latency makes it start to feel mushy.

/just throwing it off, since GPU/CPU performance is not only about the fancy pixels.

edit: OK i jumped the gun a bit, sorry. It only happens when you are CPU limited.

Last edited:
60 fps this 60fps that...
I don't know about you guys, but even on 60Hz monitor i'd strive for more. The FFB at 80-100fps is noticeably sharper and below 50fps latency makes it start to feel mushy.

/just throwing it off, since GPU/CPU performance is not only about the fancy pixels.
Well for my eyes it stutters until the fps reach a constant 120+ which is mostly impossible to achieve with my hardware (i7 2600k and GTX1070).

I am as annoyed as you are about that topic though and already saving up for either 144hz or gsync in early 2019 :p

Hang on, I'm certain I've read that the physics and FFB updates in AC are completely separate from the graphics updates. Is this somehow different in ACC? (Seems really unlikely.)
If not, then the graphics FPS are unrelated to the FFB latency and we're talking placebos here ;)

Hang on, I'm certain I've read that the physics and FFB updates in AC are completely separate from the graphics updates. Is this somehow different in ACC? (Seems really unlikely.)
If not, then the graphics FPS are unrelated to the FFB latency and we're talking placebos here ;)
I think it was in AC, but in ACC im not sure. I mean physics in general will be disconnected as it runs at 333hz or more, but the hardware output might be tied to framerate. I 've felt some differences when testing graphics in ACC. And just by limiting framerate in options the feel of the FFB is different, but ill try again to check for placebos.

edit: aww crap it only happens when you are CPU limited ... so yeah you are right, i got confused.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Stefano mentioned that physics is 333hz but all I/O is 110hz. I have no idea if it's synced on rendering thread, would be silly to do that nowadays.

IMHO forget gsync, there are signs that freesync monitors can run with Nvidia. Idk what will happen but there is a possiblility of Nvidia failing to keep this hostage situation up.
I read some stuff about it but currently you need a second gpu (amd then ofc) or an amd cpu. Both not really in the planning!
But maybe it will come the day yeah :)
I'm more towards high refresh rates anyway but I want uwqhd and they don't get higher than 100hz at the moment and I guess at just 40hz more I might still be bothered by tearing and stuttering.
Tested 144hz at a friend's and it was perfect without any syncing!

I read some stuff about it but currently you need a second gpu (amd then ofc) or an amd cpu. Both not really in the planning!
But maybe it will come the day yeah :)
I'm more towards high refresh rates anyway but I want uwqhd and they don't get higher than 100hz at the moment and I guess at just 40hz more I might still be bothered by tearing and stuttering.
Tested 144hz at a friend's and it was perfect without any syncing!

Take it as you want, but on my Alienware 144Hz with Gsync, it runs just incredibly smooth.
And I suppose it is the effect of the Gsync, because I don't run the game at 144 fps.
I am more at 80-100 fps (I could reduce the graphic options from epic , but why should I do that after all ?).
What is sure is that the game is very very smooth at all fps and with AIs too. (same with assetto corsa). I don't have much experience with hz, fps ..., but I am convinced that this is behind the Gsync in action , and it just works great.
I made a great choice choosing a Gsync monitor, just because the simulations are running equally smooth from 30 to 144hz (native refresh rate). I like that !!!

This thread certainly has been an interesting read!

Just a quick note on people experiencing varying performance on similar hardware: CPU and GPU are not the only factors at play here. Your memory speed (not size) also tends to impact games heavily. Games love fast, low latency RAM, even to the point where the same RAM speed can show different performance levels based on their timings. People sometimes tend to think that buying fast RAM and plugging it in will have it run at whatever speed it shows on the box, without instead entering the BIOS and simply changing the RAM to it's XMP profile and the voltage it says on the packaging. For those who avoid overclocking, this could be a step to look into, as if you're not overclocking and not monitoring your memory speeds, you could well have never entered your motherboard's BIOS tuning section ever. :D I've sometimes seen upwards of 20% increases in frames due to this so it's well worth looking into or at least checking anyway!

___

Anyway, in my case with the venerable old i5-2500K @ 4.4 GHz I'm running into some iffy frametimes in AI races causing visual judder despite the game reporting a close to steady 60 fps, which I'm 99.9% sure is down to a CPU bottleneck. I tend to opt for a vsync'd 60fps as the minimal input lag introduced when using it in combination with a one frame render ahead limit annoys me much less than stutter and especially tearing, which only really disappears in racing games and sims at 120 fps and above, not something I can hit all that often at 1440p with a GTX 1070 in the very few GPU limited games I now have without bringing down settings.

In most gaming cases I'm CPU limited, and with temps still holding very steady after a thermal paste change about 3 months ago there's not a whole heap I can do to get a smooth running full grid AI race. I'm content if games can hold above 60fps as a minimum, but drop below that and I start getting annoyed. :p

Unless there are some huge optimisations in the physics part of the engine (the bit that is causing this for sure, other UE4 games for the most part give me no problems), it could be ACC that finally pushes me into an upgrade. AC did get a big AI physics optimisation update just before that hit 1.0 and had steady improvements throughout it's early major updates, but I suppose after nearly seven great years with this chip I guess I needed something to finally get me to consider moving on. While I've certainly had some less than ideal experiences with other modern games (Battlefield 1 was a nightmare!), considering I've put over 1200 hours and counting into AC it's probably natural I'd want a better experience with the sequel! :D

I've considered the cheaper side-grade option to a i7-3770K, the absolute best my current motherboard can support, as the hyperthreading there would no doubt help the situation, but with my motherboard showing some signs of age it's probably best I put this rig into retirement, taking only the 1070 with me.

I'm very seriously considering jumping ship to AMD as Ryzen has impressed me with its reported price to performance ratio, and despite still trailing Intel in single-threaded performance by a little, I'm experiencing more and more games making use of more than four threads which will probably only increase as time moves forward, and in general use strong multi-threading is finally starting to break out a gap over strong single-threading, especially when multitasking or doing anything related to video.

I'm thinking I'll probably go with a 2600x for now. The temptation is there to go all in and get a 2700x for the extra cores and threads, but with prices for good DDR4 sticks still ridiculous and showing no signs of dropping in the near future, I need to cut my spend somewhere, and having learned lessons from cheaping out on motherboards and PSUs in the past, I'm not gonna cut any corners there. My OC'd i5 could well have better single core performance compared to any Ryzen chip right now, but I don't foresee this being a huge problem for any racing titles at least unless I want to fire up older gMotor sims for a quick spin, and even then I should still stay above 60 fps. R3E and RF2 are the only modern sims I could see having issues, but even then I think with my rather low limit I should be OK, and in RF2's case that is sure due for a whole heap of optimisation on DX11 anyway.

With the AM4 socket also sticking around for another two years at least compared with Intel's current socket, which is probably on its last legs, I've also got plenty of future options to work with and could very easily to upgrade to 8 or possibly even a theoretical 12 core, which I believe could well be necessary if I'm to also jump into VR in the future which basically requires a beefy CPU alongside a good GPU to run at 90 frames in CPU heavy situations.

Whenever I get this done I'll update the thread with my findings as it seems the jury is still out on Ryzen being worthwhile for games compared to Intel. So long as I can hit a smooth unwavering 60 with vsync though, I'll be a happy chappy. Anything better is a bonus!

Last edited:
Your memory speed (not size) also tends to impact games heavily. Games love fast, low latency RAM, even to the point where the same RAM speed can show different performance levels based on their timings.
Citation really needed here, because that's against any thing i've read for the past years, and also completely contradicts my own tests when i was OC-ing my system. Besides few special cases ram speed was never a factor for me XMP or not. If you have a link to a memory benchmarks that can show significant performance changes with ram speed please share.

Anyway, in my case with the venerable old i5-2500K @ 4.4 GHz I'm running into some iffy frametimes in AI races causing visual judder despite the game reporting a close to steady 60 fps, which I'm 99.9% sure is down to a CPU bottleneck.
Not really, a normal cpu bottleneck will just slow the fps down, not cause judder. If you run steady 60 and see problems it's down to drivers, background services or other crap.
I have pretty clean system and stress testing CPU in ACC brought me down to 45-55fps in places, all pretty smooth (on 144hz screen) except for input latency.

Last edited:
Reactions: dud

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back