Finding out whether your FPS are CPU or graphics card limited

Do just take the "unreal is cpu intensive" unmeasured blah-blah statements.

Do this:
  • get framerate in a reproducible way that you like
  • go into the BIOS and downclock your CPU by 1/3rd, repeat benchmark
  • download an overclocking utility for your graphics card and use it to downclock your GPU by 1/3rd, repeat benchmark
  • for added fidelity, do same for:
  • RAM
  • graphic card RAM

I don't have time right now but I'll post mine later.

We need a reference thread about hardware-to-fps anyway.

Now that we have a new build, I'll run some retests in the coming days to see if there's any substantial improvements.

Judging by the people talking about poor performance in VR even with 8700Ks + 1080Ti's, I imagine it's the same story in terms of optimisation for now though. It's no big deal as optimisation generally only occurs late in development when all the content is finished. :)

or like any normal person you can just use msi afterburner to check what usage you are getting on your gpu, if it's less than 99% with unlocked frame rates then you are cpu bottlenecked

Or you can use Riva Tuner ( comes with AfterBurner ) in conjunction with HWINFO
and have totally configurable OSD with more useful info. ;)
LL

• Deleted member 379375

This is a long thread so I don't know if this has been posted.I did have a quick scan but couldn't see it mentioned.

Once the game is up and running it appears in the SteamVR application list (settings/preferences) .That allows you to enable the onscreen heuristic app charting GPU and CPU occupancy.

BTW, I can now absolutely confirm that just replacing an i5 with an i7 from the same generation and with the same frequency while leaving everything else exactly the same (and far from what would be considered higher end) makes an incredible difference in framerate in ACC, at least when it comes to racing the AI.

Will have more soon.

BTW, I can now absolutely confirm that just replacing an i5 with an i7 from the same generation and with the same frequency while leaving everything else exactly the same (and far from what would be considered higher end) makes an incredible difference in framerate in ACC, at least when it comes to racing the AI.

Will have more soon.
So far, like by how much difference?

@JoelGL I didn't have a lot of time to test it, but with 20 AI, an improvement from around 35-38 fps with 100 % CPU usage (making it completely unplayable due to immense lag, despite the framerate) to 60 fps with plenty of CPU power to spare. Again, no changes except for swapping the CPU.

@JoelGL I didn't have a lot of time to test it, but with 20 AI, an improvement from around 35-38 fps with 100 % CPU usage (making it completely unplayable due to immense lag, despite the framerate) to 60 fps with plenty of CPU power to spare. Again, no changes except for swapping the CPU.
Theory: The moment you reach 100% with a lower thread count cpu it makes a huge difference!
Thanks for agreeing with it via field test :)
I guess you moved from 4 Threads to 8 threads?

@callumjtc Can't speak for those CPUs, but I'm definitely not regretting the swap in the slightest. It's not that sims run that much better (except ACC), but I certainly got some breathing room now and, most importantly, I don't have to worry about every single app running in the background again. When I was trying to record or stream using OBS before, I had to perform black magic rituals to be able to do it and still keep both the game and recording running fine (even with NVENC), and at times, it still wasn't enough. With the i7, it's absolutely no problem.

I'm working on a comparison video that compares most of the current sims performance with both CPUs, hopefully I'll manage to finish it soon.

@callumjtc Can't speak for those CPUs, but I'm definitely not regretting the swap in the slightest. It's not that sims run that much better (except ACC), but I certainly got some breathing room now and, most importantly, I don't have to worry about every single app running in the background again. When I was trying to record or stream using OBS before, I had to perform black magic rituals to be able to do it and still keep both the game and recording running fine (even with NVENC), and at times, it still wasn't enough. With the i7, it's absolutely no problem.

I'm working on a comparison video that compares most of the current sims performance with both CPUs, hopefully I'll manage to finish it soon.
Cheers for that, super helpful as it is not all that cheap to make the switch

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back