Finally did it!

When the WTCC pack was released, I only raced the FWD cars. I figured the BMW would be similar to the Race 07 one, which I never learned how to drive competitive laps with it. In addition, everyone either here or on the forums would say that it's the slowest/hardest car to drive so I barely touched it.

After the DTM 1992 expansion, I started tweaking the suspension to make the 190 and the E30 more to my liking and to my surprise I actually found an overall setup that really suited my driving style. So, I decided to go back and try to adapt this to the 320, and voila! It worked! All of the sudden, I can drive it just as fast as the Chevys and Hondas. Basically, it's a much stiffer setup than the default but the RWD helps me rotate the car. I still struggle a bit with certain chicanes and on hard braking, and I still wouldn't choose it as my preferred car but the raw speed is there.
Anyway, back to the reason I'm making this thread: I hopped on a Monza server, built up a nice lead and just started pushing very hard, as if I was driving qualifying laps. Ended up with this:
2015_01_06_00008.jpg

This would be 3rd fastest on the leaderboard (laptime was without any drafting help). With Monza being my least favorite track, mostly because hard braking is my biggest weakness, I'm really proud to have done this. :)

bmw is a great car ; its about 1/2-1 second slower than the honda ; i switched to it a while ago as it creates racing , it fairs well at monza , but struggles at other tracks , but if you can drive your lines ; realise were the fwd are quick then its a great car
its wierd , i am faster in a race session/quali than on a leaderboard challenge (tyres not up to temp suits me )

Andi

How fast is the BMW in the real WTCC?
It can't also be 1 second slower, right?
Would be cool if the wtcc's in the game were more equal in laptimes.
The gap is too big, imo.

i can go as fast (within a tenth) in all the front wheel drives they are pretty equal , the beemer is pretty accurate , it was slower , just its tougher to be consistent ..... as you cant rag it as you can fwd ...

ask yourself why there are no rwd anymore in wtcc?

Andi

i can go as fast (within a tenth) in all the front wheel drives they are pretty equal , the beemer is pretty accurate , it was slower , just its tougher to be consistent ..... as you cant rag it as you can fwd ...

ask yourself why there are no rwd anymore in wtcc?

Andi

Well mostly because of the penalties that always follow RWD. But I agree, it's the consistency that's the problem with racing it, along with the inability to save the car from driver error, such as rears locking up.

You may be right about the Bmw but the Cruze is too slow.
Best leaderboard times in R3E atm:
1.49.8 Honda
1.50.6 Seat
1.51.6 Bmw
1.51.6 Lada
1.51.8 Chevrolet
The cruze is 2 seconds behind, way too slow considering it has done the fastest lap in almost every race in 2013 season.

I think I've gone lower than that with the Chevy, it's more likely that the fastest drivers stick to the Honda, plus the fact that most of the people just don't like the car. Still, I think it needs a bit more power/less drag. It doesn't make any sense to have the hatchback Civics go faster in a straight line. It wasn't like that in the 2012/13 WTCC seasons.

When the WTCC pack was released, I only raced the FWD cars. I figured the BMW would be similar to the Race 07 one, which I never learned how to drive competitive laps with it. In addition, everyone either here or on the forums would say that it's the slowest/hardest car to drive so I barely touched it.

After the DTM 1992 expansion, I started tweaking the suspension to make the 190 and the E30 more to my liking and to my surprise I actually found an overall setup that really suited my driving style. So, I decided to go back and try to adapt this to the 320, and voila! It worked! All of the sudden, I can drive it just as fast as the Chevys and Hondas. Basically, it's a much stiffer setup than the default but the RWD helps me rotate the car. I still struggle a bit with certain chicanes and on hard braking, and I still wouldn't choose it as my preferred car but the raw speed is there.
Anyway, back to the reason I'm making this thread: I hopped on a Monza server, built up a nice lead and just started pushing very hard, as if I was driving qualifying laps. Ended up with this:
2015_01_06_00008.jpg

This would be 3rd fastest on the leaderboard (laptime was without any drafting help). With Monza being my least favorite track, mostly because hard braking is my biggest weakness, I'm really proud to have done this. :)
All that teasing and no setup sharing ? I struggle with the Beamer too, what did you tweak? I want to give it a go.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 219 14.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 115 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 216 14.4%