Resource icon

Misc Filter and settings for CSP WeatherFX Default script combined with Sol controller 2020-03-20

Login or Register an account to download this content
alekabul submitted a new resource:

Filter and settings for CSP WeatherFX Default script combined with Sol controller - Some new tricks from the two greatest AC mods

What is not too apparent on the screens is the changing of ambient light with the movement of the 3d clouds. It is so well implemented that I thought it is worth sharing and making a fuss about. For some time I wanted the "fake clouds shadows" to work and tried to achieve that with the Sol versions but it happened only after I accidentally replaced the "..\extension\config\weather_fx.ini" by updating CSP and keeping an older Sol version. In CM appeared two options that I haven't seen before...

Read more about this resource...

Those 3d clouds are already implemented in Sol too. And this is no fake cloud shadow, the clouds actually producing real shadows. "Default" means, this is the basic implementation of Ilja, the developer of CSP. But it misses much things in terms of weather simulation. If you struggle with fps and you want still 3d clouds, then the Default implementation is good to use.

With the next version of Sol the weatherFX.ini will show all implementations like Default, Sol and SimplePPOff...

Those 3d clouds are already implemented in Sol too. And this is no fake cloud shadow, the clouds actually producing real shadows. "Default" means, this is the basic implementation of Ilja, the developer of CSP. But it misses much things in terms of weather simulation. If you struggle with fps and you want still 3d clouds, then the Default implementation is good to use.

With the next version of Sol the weatherFX.ini will show all implementations like Default, Sol and SimplePPOff...
Thanks for the massive work, Peter!
I suspected there are no fake shadows but I hope in the next Sol versions it's 3d clouds to have that effect seen with those of CSP. I mean - compare the "ScatteredClouds" of Sol 1.5 /w 3d clouds on and same weather with the default script... The cloud's shadows don't work in Sol for some reason. Even if I increase the opacity. Otherwise I like the Sol's 3d clouds more.

Please, make them work and make this resource obsolete!

Thanks for the massive work, Peter!
I suspected there are no fake shadows but I hope in the next Sol versions it's 3d clouds to have that effect seen with those of CSP. I mean - compare the "ScatteredClouds" of Sol 1.5 /w 3d clouds on and same weather with the default script... The cloud's shadows don't work in Sol for some reason. Even if I increase the opacity. Otherwise I like the Sol's 3d clouds more.

Please, make them work and make this resource obsolete!
Its already working! If you switch to 3d Clouds in Sol, you have real shadows from the clouds. In 2d cloud mode, shadow is global by the sun's cover of the clouds texture, multiplied with a unique value, different for every weather.

switch to 3d Clouds in Sol
I meant that - with 3d Clouds in Sol 1.5 and CSP 0.1.48 (0.1.46 too) the shadows are not working. In comparison the CSP script prodices shadows which are not only visible on the ground but change the ambient of the scene as the sun gets behind the cloud and out again. Those CSP clouds are not still... It gives the sense of interaction with the environment which to some extent can be faked by setting dynamic weather to very fast but that has the negative of unnatural transitions and more load on the CPU.

They work, maybe you can switch on this, to have a higher clouds speed:
1584689289674.png

Here is an example:
Distance is covered by clouds:
ZhMsD1W.jpg

everything is covered:
KYuxFAG.jpg

distance is not covered, but near area:
rf5a2ya.jpg

I thought of that and it makes no difference - x1, x10, x30. The shadows of 3d clouds in Sol behave like that of the 2d.

Here's the CSP's shadows from x10 time
Screenshot_ks_porsche_911_gt3_rs_ks_nordschleife_20-3-120-9-57-8.jpg
Screenshot_ks_porsche_911_gt3_rs_ks_nordschleife_20-3-120-9-57-6.jpg
Screenshot_ks_porsche_911_gt3_rs_ks_nordschleife_20-3-120-9-57-1.jpg

But most importantly it is very tangible from "behind the wheel" cam. And before you say "Reinstall clean", I did it twice to no avail. It could be that Sol's shadows are very light. So if there is a way to change that I'm interested to know, please. In Sol's thread I read once that you like HBAO enabled but please don't tell me that's the only solution because it kills 20% of the GPU and gives too little in return.

Thats exactly how the Sol 3d clouds are working, its the same code in the background. The only difference is, in the Default implementation there is nearly no distant fog, so you see shadows better in the distant.

the same code in the background
You and Ilja sure know the code that is implemented but give it a try for yourself and while driving you will understand better what I'm on about with this upload. It's no hustle, not a million settings to change forth and back (not affected by all the Sol's variables and Sol config is not affected either).

PS - I was able to reproduce the same that is on the video but it`s not an answer to the need of tangible shadows while driving because with Sol rarely a cloud passes between the sun and the car. Somehow they dissolve and in the brighter weathers when there should be more evident changes in sunlight from the clouds, the CSP script does the job much better.

Last edited:
You and Ilja sure know the code that is implemented but give it a try for yourself and while driving you will understand better what I'm on about with this upload. It's no hustle, not a million settings to change forth and back (not affected by all the Sol's variables and Sol config is not affected either).

PS - I was able to reproduce the same that is on the video but it`s not an answer to the need of tangible shadows while driving because with Sol rarely a cloud passes between the sun and the car. Somehow they dissolve and in the brighter weathers when there should be more evident changes in sunlight from the clouds, the CSP script does the job much better.
Ok. I think i understand what you mean. The Default implementation has a higher Contrast between sun and ambient light. Have you tried the other Sol ppfilters like "__Sol_Extra" or "__Sol_HC". Sol_HC has a much greater Contrast between this 2 variable, and i think, this is what you mean...

tried the other Sol ppfilters
I've tried all filters included in Sol's versions and many more. That's why I resorted to editing one of the closest matches to compensate some for the loss of details in dark patches with the CSP script while keeping the vibrant midtones and the sparkling highlights. With Sol after much trial and error in the config app and matching of ppfilters I only got halfway close to what the CSP script gives from the get go. Sure, I'll keep trying because I like the features of the complete Sol system and this is only for the sake of variety.

I've tried all filters included in Sol's versions and many more. That's why I resorted to editing one of the closest matches to compensate some for the loss of details in dark patches with the CSP script while keeping the vibrant midtones and the sparkling highlights. With Sol after much trial and error in the config app and matching of ppfilters I only got halfway close to what the CSP script gives from the get go. Sure, I'll keep trying because I like the features of the complete Sol system and this is only for the sake of variety.
I found the problem. In next version of Sol 1.5.1, this is fixed.
You can try it in the beta:

Thanks for the tip....

I found the problem. In next version of Sol 1.5.1, this is fixed.
Thanks for the changes, they work exactly as I like it!
One other thing needs fixing - wetFX don't get triggered properly in Sol compared to CSP. I have some fun using
Code:
[CONDITION_25]
INPUT=wfx_WET
NAME=WET
LUT=(|-1=0|0=0|1=1|)

[MATERIAL_ADJUSTMENT_...]
ACTIVE=1
MATERIALS=wet
KEY_0=alpha
VALUE_0=0.87
OFF_VALUE_0=0.3
CONDITION=WET

[MATERIAL_ADJUSTMENT_...]
ACTIVE=1
MATERIALS=people?,
KEY_0=alpha
VALUE_0=0
OFF_VALUE_0=1
CONDITION=WET
to get a road overlay more visible when it rains and to hide people from view in bad weather. In CSP with dynamic weather from Sol controller that works - road gets the overlay and people hide if rain>50% and appear again when rain gets weaker. However, in Sol dynamic weather that doesn't happen. Please, have a look into it if you may! To test it you may use "Brands Hatch - GP" in which "ks_brands_hatch.ini" there is such "alpha" adjustment for the foliage of the complex trees. If changed temporarily to
Code:
[CONDITION_25]
INPUT=wfx_WET
NAME=WET
LUT=(|-1=0|0=0|1=1|)

[MATERIAL_ADJUSTMENT_14a]
MATERIALS = Leaves?, branch?
CONDITION = WET
KEY_0 = seasonWinter
VALUE_0 = 1.0
OFF_VALUE_0 = 0
KEY_1 = ksDiffuse
VALUE_1 = 0.305
OFF_VALUE_1 = 0.35
KEY_2 = ksAmbient
VALUE_2 = 0.305
OFF_VALUE_2 = 0.325
KEY_3 = alpha
VALUE_3 = 0
OFF_VALUE_3 = 1
ACTIVE = 1
DESCRIPTION = winter non specular 2
you can have observation if the leaves hide when rain starts and appear back again with dynamic weather. In CSP + Sol controller it does, in pure Sol - not. The trick is not completely impossible with Sol - if weather is changed manually it works but that kind of negates the point of it.

EDIT: with patience I found that Sol does the triggering but much slower than CSP. Would be nice if it gets a bit snappier.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back