Field of view

What field of view do you all use?

I normally use 82 but thought I'd try out 40. It's so much cooler on 40, you can get right up to the back of other cars, just have limited view and the car appears to turn a hell of a lot faster.

My FOV is set to 80 on a 22" 1680x1050 monitor. Feels about right for most cars, see some of the dash and some of the rearview but mostly the road ahead. I also upped my glance angle to 70 degrees and that has helped quite a bit seeing cars next to me, I can tell a lot more easily when I can has overlap on me going into a turn.

Now I just need a triple head setup...

• Mikkow

It's not about resolution, it's about how big your screen is and how far you sit from it, vs the FOV you have.

Anyway, I have a 24" 16:10 monitor that I sit about 70cm from, I am guessing (I'll measure sometime), and fov 57 is about as low as I'll go. It's still a compromise - I must have some peripheral vision, but it's still not low enough either: stuff seems smaller than they really are and things appear further away than in real life. But no where near as bad as the higher fovs people use (hello fish eye lens - looking through the wrong end of binoculars :D ).

The bigger your screen is to your eyes (i.e. how much of your actual eye field of view it takes up) the higher the fov can be.

for wide-screen resolutions the best FOV is around 60-70 depending on car and seat position taken to the back

FOV can be adjusted with CTRL+LMP (or at graphical options)
seat position can by adjusted with LMP (or by assigned keys)

some examples with FOV 100%, 75% and 65%
at 100% you have very big and unnatural fish-eye effect
FOV_01_100.jpg

FOV_01_75.jpg

FOV_01_65.jpg

FOV_02_100.jpg

FOV_02_75.jpg

FOV_02_65.jpg

• Frank Herfjord

iRacing has a calculator that suggests FOV. I used that suggestion for Race On as well: 67 FOV with a 200cm screeen with 145cm distance to eye.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.6%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 127 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 172 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 341 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 469 38.9%