Field of View

Been thinking about this for a while. And here is my €2 cts.

I understand that to get an accurate FoV the screen size should be the same in proportion as real world size. So a 2m high vertical post 10m away is approx 120mm high on a screen at 60cm away. A simple drawing can confirm that. Do these FoV calaculators achieve that??

A game should have a "FoV Check". One enters eye distance from screen and game displays a vertical bar on monitor. The game knows all the details of the monitor from a file held in the monitor.

In this case, representing a 2m post at 10m, the gamer having entered 60cm eye distance, the game would display a vertical bar with the instruction to move a slider until the vertical bar measures 12cm on the screen. Angles, screen size and aspect ratio are then irrelevant.

Of course, on a small screen the FoV might be quite restrictive.

Yes, I've seen your webpage, and how the screen size changes with distance from screen. But I can't see how one knows if the observed size on screen is the same as size in real life?? Which according to several YouTube videos is what it is all about?

Upvote 0
Yes, thanks, used that.

But I don't think it is correct.
A 27" 16:9 monitor at 65cm for F1 2019 has a FoV setting of - 1.4, which is outside the game setting range.
A 49" 32:9 monitor at 65cm is 0.4.
The 49" is effectively 2 27" monitors side by side. And the minty lamb display comparison confirms this.
So the perspective on my 2m post at 10m should be the same in the centre of both screens.
But with the different FoV settings, the perspective, and hence displayed size, is going to be different.

I've just driven onto the Melbourne start/finish straight in F1 2019 and stopped just before the first horizontal bridge - ROLEX if one has loaded the proper track advertising. Staying in the same track position, on my 27" monitor, the on screen height of the bridge is:

At FoV -1.0 42mm. FoV 0.0 31mm and FoV +0.4 27mm. I estimate that at FoV -1.4, the measurement would be 50+mm.

Unfortunately, I don't know how far away the bridge is in real world or the actual bridge vertical dimension, so can't say which measurement is accurate!!

I think this whole FoV business is a muddle and in the many YouTube videos, the authors are muddling up Field of View, angle, and Perspective, relative size of objects.

When I get my 49" monitor up and running tomorrow, I'll do the same again.

Upvote 0
It's a Codemaster issue IMHO. :unsure: (I only have F1 2016/17 and they seem to change the "slider increments" from game to game) However, with a single small screen you will probably always feel like you are seated too far forward with the "proper FOV" i.e. side mirrors will disappear. So, I use TrackIr5 to look at mirrors - custom profile

I was annoyed about just having a Field of View slider with no actual number telling you what the current FOV was, I always had to eyeball it until it felt similar to other sims/games.

My correct FOV is 34vFOV or 71hFOV. (21:9 / 34" 3440x1440)

Anyway I found a Ego ERP Archiver software by Ryder25, and it lets you browse and the encrypted game files (.erp)

I found the camera files buried in the team packages, here's the default numbers for anyone interested.

Horizontal FOV:

• Cockpit: 77
  • T-cam: 82
  • T-cam offset: 85
  • Nose: 82
Each increment on the slider counts for -2 or +2.

For instance @ Default 0.0 on the slider in Cockpit cam, it's 77hFOV, I needed 71hFOV so I went down 3 steps on the slider until it reaches -0.71 (coincidence that the numbers line up exactly the same as the slider number for me lol)

Hope this helps some people out who prefer correct 1:1 FOV with their setup, especially triples users.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 136 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 189 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 373 28.2%