Field of View converter

for most single screen setups 45 is right. might not be your preference but it shows the iracing world without distortion and in correct aspect ratio.

There have been very in depth discussions about this topic. iRacing doesn't distort the images to make things "look better" on flat screens. Thus your field of view needs to be what it would be in real life.

If you sit farther away your FOV needs to be very small, like a window on your dashboard. Thus, you either need a really big monitor, or to sit really close for the recommended FOV to be greater than the minimum of 45 degrees.

Triple screens solve it or sitting closer or having a big monitor. If you have a small monitor sitting far away, expect your "window" to be very small. You can distort things with a 75 or 105 degree FOV, but you won't get the proper sense of speed and inclines etc will also be out of whack.

Unfortunately, most have to live with that trade off or not be able to see your steering wheel in your view. I've decided to get triple screens and it solves the problem. Even small 19" triple screens gets you a recommended FOV of 95 or so.

I typically run my FOV maxed at 179 and iracings tool says that I should be seating 16" away:confused:. I'm running triple 28" monitors @ 5860 x 1200 and the render each screen separately checked, eye to screen distance is 34". Iracing says I should be using a FOV of 121, at that level I can see no gauges or steering wheel, the track looks really wide and objects in my outer screens are oversized. At 179 I see my gauges, wheel, track and other cars look proportional. If I uncheck the render each screen option with the 179 FOV it looks like I am sitting on the rear wing and the 121 works better. However the objects in my side screens look elongated. The 179 FOV with each screen rendered separately works and looks better to me. In some cars I will lower it a little, but I usually leave it a lone.

The calculator is accurate so long as you've given it accurate input. Provided you have done so, and are at the correct viewing distance, the sim world is to real-world scale, so you have accurate sight-lines etc.

The main criticisms levied against this are:
- "Everything looks too wide"
Perception issue, if you want a less accurate view then by all means increase your FOV.

- "I can't see my dials"
This is just the result of the overall aspect ratio of your setup. There is a good argument for having, say, 3 28" 4:3 monitors instead of 3 24" 16:9 monitors to give you more vertical viewing area to get around this. iRacing have implemented an adjustable VanishY parameter to try to help with this, bound to shift+[ and shift+] by default (might be ctrl, unable to check atm)

- "I can't see my mirrors or anything particularly to the sides"
Single monitor user most likely; in which case see if you can get yourself closer to your screen first; failing that you'll have to increase the FOV to as low as you think you can feel comfortable with in terms of peripheral vision. This is the reason why triple screen setups are so sought after these days, consider investing in one! Alternatively, consider a TrackIR.

I thought about a TrackIR as a cheaper option to triple screens, but from the people I talked to or read about that have both say that the triple screens was the better option. When I was running a single screen I gave up on trying to see my side mirrors and only used the center on. I have no complaints about what I see on screen in iracing, like I said my FOV works for me and my setup. Rule of thumb, if you find yourself missing your apex and having to correct a lot then you may want to check your FOV, or you could just be a bad driver like me:wink:.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back