AC Fiat Abarth 500 S1 @ Blackwood - Wed 23th July 2014

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Yea yea and life (events) passes by. There must be some other way (rocket fuel, teleporting, ....). These events should be split between advanced and basic contenders, even tho one only learns from the best. But if one is stuck in the back of the field too often, there's no progress from driving alone.

I'm slowly getting better, and it has taken me months to do so :). This sim is so complex that it is going to take some time. I was really happy that I was able to post a qualifying time within 3 seconds of the best ones. That race was the first time I had tried out that track.

You have to first figure out what the best line to get the car through, then you have to deal with braking points, when to hit the gas.....then the car gets lighter and the handling changes. I started to get lots of oversteer as the car got lighter. Then you have to deal with the changing track conditions. All the time trying to figure out how much of the track you can actually use. I didn't know you could go 4 wheels over the white line in some corners, until I saw others doing so without getting a penalty...but then I tried to push it in a different corner and would get a penalty.

I don't have the consistency and dicipline that many of the best drivers have here. I'll get too locked in on something, or worry about another driver and miss my braking point.

One of the best things I have found is to watch the replay after a race and see what some of the fast drivers do. In this race, I looked at Akis and some of the other top drivers and found that they went down to 2nd in the first corner. I was trying to get through it in 3rd. If they have the pedal app going, see where their braking point is and then try to replicate it. See where they are getting on the gas, and if they are punching it, or feathering it through a corner.

It is really hard to learn to brake earlier than you think is necessary. I have a tendency to brake late and get on the gas too early. Brake a little early, and let the car let you know when it has grip through FF, and then apply gas. I think the best drivers have figured out that fine line between grip and slide that makes them faster.

On the other hand, one of the things said earlier is that you don't necessarily have to be super fast, but just not make mistakes. If I could have done a clean race, I would probably have been up in the top 5 instead of in the back of the pack.

I'm slowly getting better.....
You're right. I'm the older generation, that had no chance to simrace from the craddle, my passion is still tactical wargaming and i drove first mp race some 15 month ago in pCars, so these facts are against me. And besides that, there's so many cars and tracks available, so an hour max is what each combo gets. But i'll work on getting better and more consistent.

I'm slowly getting better, and it has taken me months to do so :). This sim is so complex that it is going to take some time. I was really happy that I was able to post a qualifying time within 3 seconds of the best ones. That race was the first time I had tried out that track.

You have to first figure out what the best line to get the car through, then you have to deal with braking points, when to hit the gas.....then the car gets lighter and the handling changes. I started to get lots of oversteer as the car got lighter. Then you have to deal with the changing track conditions. All the time trying to figure out how much of the track you can actually use. I didn't know you could go 4 wheels over the white line in some corners, until I saw others doing so without getting a penalty...but then I tried to push it in a different corner and would get a penalty.

I don't have the consistency and dicipline that many of the best drivers have here. I'll get too locked in on something, or worry about another driver and miss my braking point.

One of the best things I have found is to watch the replay after a race and see what some of the fast drivers do. In this race, I looked at Akis and some of the other top drivers and found that they went down to 2nd in the first corner. I was trying to get through it in 3rd. If they have the pedal app going, see where their braking point is and then try to replicate it. See where they are getting on the gas, and if they are punching it, or feathering it through a corner.

It is really hard to learn to brake earlier than you think is necessary. I have a tendency to brake late and get on the gas too early. Brake a little early, and let the car let you know when it has grip through FF, and then apply gas. I think the best drivers have figured out that fine line between grip and slide that makes them faster.

On the other hand, one of the things said earlier is that you don't necessarily have to be super fast, but just not make mistakes. If I could have done a clean race, I would probably have been up in the top 5 instead of in the back of the pack.
well, you are able to recognise your mistakes, that is 90% of the job!

See where they are getting on the gas, and if they are punching it, or feathering it through a corner.

Totally agree with all your points. I'd like to add that even how you lift your foot off the throttle or off the brake can make a huge difference. Some cars (like the 458) don't like fast lift offs. And I still believe that apps like Rivali Delta can help you become better quickly, because you won't lose time trying to figure out where you are losing time. The app will do this for you!

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 124 8.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 160 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 224 14.8%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 414 27.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 586 38.7%