FIA rule 40.7 not enforced?

40.7All competing cars must reduce speed and form up in line behind the safety car no more than ten car lengths apart.

So does anyone other than me remember this rule? I remember it being imposed once about 4 maybe 5 seasons ago then never again.

In today's race Vettel started dropping back from the safety car before the bridge, there were at least 4-5 corners until out entry far more than 10 car lengths so why does red bull escape penalty? He does it nearly every restart but the FIA just keeps mum.

Thoughts?

The answer is at 40.13:

"When the clerk of the course decides it is safe to call in the safety car the message "SAFETY CAR IN THIS LAP" will be displayed on the official messaging system and the car's orange lights will be extinguished This will be the signal to the teams and drivers that it will be entering the pit lane at the end of that lap."

"At this point the first car in line behind the safety car may dictate the pace and, if necessary, fall more than ten car lengths behind it."

So it seems there is no penalty needed.

Edit: Only time i remember this rule imposed was at 2010 Hungary GP. Vettel got a penalty because of falling more than 10 cars length of SC, but at that time, the SC lights were still on.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 194 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years