FIA Formula 2 2009

RIP Henry Surtees. The f2 cars do have wheel teathers. Statement from Jonathon Palmer of motorvision:

The Williams F1 designed Formula Two cars comply with the FIA 2005 F1 safety standards including the fitment of wheel tethers to reduce the risk of wheels coming off in accidents. The F2 car also includes the latest F1 standards of driver head protection with high cockpit sides and lateral deformable structures. As with F1 however, wheel tethers cannot provide an absolute guarantee that a wheel will not come off in an accident and in a single seater race car the front of the head is inevitably exposed to the risk, however small, of being hit by another car or component.

Rest of the statement can be found here: http://www.formulatwo.com/news/henry-surtees-jp-statement.aspx

As with F1 however, wheel tethers cannot provide an absolute guarantee

What a BS :( The speed of the impact wasnt that high at all yesterday. That wheel should have stayed on whatever they are saying to get rid of the blame!

Both cars lost a wheel !

from f1-live.com

"After the death of a marshal in an F1 race in 2001, rule revisions introduced a wheel tether system to stop wheels flying off after an accident. This system was later adopted by IRL and is also used in the new F2 series, and should have prevented the wheel flying loose."

RIP,Henry Surtees
He is more future,why take him out of the world,he not crash to died,he is give other crash car fly the wheel attack the head to dead,
Why ? Why very black luck, :(
R.I.P. Henry Surtees

Saw it live on Eurosport and was afraid that it ends this way!

Very sad thing! I hope his family knows how many people all over the wrld feel with them...

IMO today every open wheeler should have tethers, because safety comes first!

RIP & Condolences to his family & friends.

I feel there is a serious design flaw that no one thought to tether the wheels to the car and the lesson has been learnt in the hardest way possible. We were all at Surtees of all corners when the ambulance came down from the GP loops to the medical center..

To a very sad end to what was otherwise a great day of racing.

According to Jonathan Palmer who runs the F2 series the wheels are tethered "The Williams F1 designed Formula Two cars comply with the FIA 2005 F1 safety standards including the fitment of wheel tethers to reduce the risk of wheels coming off in accidents"

http://www.crash.net/f3/news/150067/2/palmer_my_saddest_time_in_motor_racing.html

Very sad, R.I.P Henry

Its a nightmare..

I saw it live on TV and had an awful bad feeling from the accident on so I tried to find anything about his http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&p=thMx..&search=healthstate of health in the internet till monday morning.
It was just a terrible shock to read the worst.

I feel especially sorry as im also born in 1991
Now I wish just the best to his family and friends.
May they get over it somehow and be able to live a halfway normal life again.

(Please excuse my diction my english is not so good)

Did some checking today and F2 claims to use the same system as the Formula 1 to prevent the wheels to come off. So either they had really bad luck or somebody is not telling the truth

Somewhere Palmer was saying that cars are designed by Williams and are as safe as F1 cars. He said unfortunately wires which keeps tyres tied with car during the crash can't always hold and this is what happened.

Don't know but it still feels there wasn't any wires and someone is not telling the truth. Were they too busy to finish these cars for this season..maybe?

Round 9 and 10

circuit-selector-donington-next.png

Hans

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back