FIA Announces New Commitments on the Esports Scene

Esports will boil down to simrcade games, so you sim purists who hate on simcade games better watch out. ;-)

Welcome to the future simcade rules with FIA...............

Esports will boil down to simrcade games, so you sim purists who hate on simcade games better watch out. ;-)

No one hates simcaders, it is just bad when they are processed to get proven that actual simcades are full blast simulations. And that is very anticlimactic that as the prestige of simracing has become big. It is of course getting pulled by those whom it doesn't belong. Next you'll see, oh wait... you already seen some particular people suggesting not to fight over simracing image and separate the term from actual vehicle simulation and leave it accessible to every software that is simulating the act of racing, but does not necessarily simulate vehicle dynamics at appropriate level.

Next you'll hear people calling 2000-2020 as the golden age of simracing, that it will never get better. WOuldn't it be sad ? Because there is a lot to get better.

Last edited:

You seem to have completely missed the point here. It doesn't boil down to which is better, arcade race game or sim racer. Both have there merits and serve a purpose. Do you honestly believe the FIA give a flying monkeys about arcade games or sim racers for that matter. They are the global authority in motor racing and have no place interfering in our chosen hobby/sport. They're only motivation is financial gain. We are already seeing the rise in cost in both sim racing and for the arcade racer devs since the advent of E Sports. Not arguing for or against this but the reality is that circuit owners seeing the rise in popularity have increased the cost of track licenses to devs and manufacturer doing the same for vehicle licencing. The FIA don't give a stuff for you or I or any of us who compete in the virtual world. To them we're just another source of revenue for them to tap into pure and simple. I'm sure you'll change your views when you see Gran Turismo and Forza getting more and more expensive because another outside body has stuck they're nose in and driven costs up. Whether you're a sim racer or a player of arcade racers now is the time we should all be uniting and fighting this unasked for interference whilst we still have a hobby we can afford

fia_esports_modified-jpg.317207

Is it me, or does it look like this driver is laying down forward...almost like he's on a bike and not in a car? What is it am I looking at here? :unsure:
The Chaparral 2X GT Vision car also has the driver laying head towards front on the car.
If you've never seen it, look it up. In my opinion it's the most visionary thing by far out of all the GT Vision cars.
i12RnYfbcyCGOz.jpg

The car is not driven by the wheels, but a laser shockwave air-compression propulsion system (basically a pretty sci-fi rocket engine), the power can be delivered from an off-track, high energy laser-beam shooting at a super photo-cell on the car.
This means it's super light and you never have spinning wheels. If the tires need more downforce for cornering the thrust vector of the propulsion system can be changed to point more upwards, pushing the car down (which is not in the game, and it drives like crap in the game anyway, it's not Chaparral's fault though).
Oh and it has active aero steering and the cockpit "windows" are augmented reality screens.

Edit: Sorry for off-topic here!

@tonydean2 I'm with you on this mate, FIA are bad for business imo.
Look what happened to Karting once the FIA released new regs and Mick Doohan took over as head of Karting Australia. The average price of a kart here in Oz jumped by 5k, fees went up, and new rules came into being that screwed many casual karters over, resulting in not being able to put your kart on track without being a licensed club member, $500 membership, $350 for a license, also no track time if you weren't in full karting attire, in other words no jeans and long sleeved shirts, joggers etc and more financial outlay, kart suit $250, kart shoes $150, gloves $60. If you did the above and joined a club you then need to cough up fee's to race, another $300 to $400 per meeting, with at least one meeting per month.
Before I sold my kart I could go to my local kart track and for $50 I could run all day, but thanks to official FIA regs all that has gone.

Once a father and son team could get setup for karting on a 20k outlay for a year including karts, now you'd be lucky to do it for 30-32k if not more, and they wonder why karting isn't as popular as ten years ago.

InsaneOzzie tonydean2
Completely agree with you both, if they get involved they will look on it as a cash cow.
On the gameplay side I also think that devs because of the costs, would reduce time and effort in single player, ah la GT Sport original release.

You seem to have completely missed the point here. It doesn't boil down to which is better, arcade race game or sim racer. Both have there merits and serve a purpose. Do you honestly believe the FIA give a flying monkeys about arcade games or sim racers for that matter. They are the global authority in motor racing and have no place interfering in our chosen hobby/sport. They're only motivation is financial gain. We are already seeing the rise in cost in both sim racing and for the arcade racer devs since the advent of E Sports. Not arguing for or against this but the reality is that circuit owners seeing the rise in popularity have increased the cost of track licenses to devs and manufacturer doing the same for vehicle licencing. The FIA don't give a stuff for you or I or any of us who compete in the virtual world. To them we're just another source of revenue for them to tap into pure and simple. I'm sure you'll change your views when you see Gran Turismo and Forza getting more and more expensive because another outside body has stuck they're nose in and driven costs up. Whether you're a sim racer or a player of arcade racers now is the time we should all be uniting and fighting this unasked for interference whilst we still have a hobby we can afford

It's all about the money!

You really missed my point. I WAS TAKING THE PISS I am a Yorkshire lad who hates BULLSHIT Triple AAA simcade games will be sanctioned by the FIA for esports. So called pure sims will not. As they do not have the money to pay for a FIA licence. Populist games will be fully backed for esports.

See I agree with you, however you failed to see my irony. My BAD, White middle aged GAMMON seething with F***ing so called white male privilege....jesus ( where is Bill Hicks when you need him)

When the FIA is involed the costs triple.............FACT

Last edited:
We will surely have more racing games in the future because of this, which is a good thing. I just hope there is no license exclusivity on the content.

To be honest, I don't think an involvement of FIA in esports is going to lead to more games, at least with original content, because license costs will rise a lot, to a degree it will only be feasable for AAA content to regain these costs. Simracing is still a niche with limited sales, so raising license cost might will either make the games really expensive, or the studios just won't see a valid business case any more.

WTF....a 1000euro to compete in an FIA E-sport event:rolleyes:, that's fekin highway robbery, and no prize or deal with a real race team for the winners :thumbsdown:

The FIA will be bad for the future of sim racing if this is anything to go by.

• Deleted member 955978

Gladly the FIA is talking about so called simcades, not simulators.
So why should we bother? I once drove Forza for a few minutes, very quickly I was back into Daddy’s sim rig...
:D:)

Imagine F1 license on playstation 4. Who the hell will pay for iranting?
Thing is, titles like iRacing, RRRE, ACC, Automobilista, rFactor2 to name but a few, offer way more than just F1. So if folks aren't in to F1, they will continue to race on the aforementioned titles (and others available).

I guess the folks who will pay for iRanting a you call it, will be those competing in the series that iRacing offer,with big money prizes at the end of it all.

As there is already a fully licensed F1 game on PS4, I'm not quite sure why you're having to imagine it.

What's even the point of ? IIRC iRacing boasts NASCAR sanctioned races. So other titles with FIA sanctions won't change much for the regular weekend Race Department or SRS racer like me. Even regular season iRacers. Mind you I didn't feel anything different with iRacing having NASCAR on their side. It's just good or bad races, or whatever comes.

I believe this will only affect high profile esports event. Nothing will change with my weekend pals at SRS I believe. You guys need to stop spitting at the guy on the other side of the fence. We will still pay the devs we choose and like, they will still win their races and we will stay here ranting about who's governing the races.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back