FIA announces 2010 F1 entry list

The Big Formula One Threat Thread (merged)

James Allen:

Although Ferrari is refusing to comment on yesterday’s budget cap announcement, some letters between its president Luca di Montezemolo and FIA president Max Mosley have come to light.

These show Ferrari’s concerns and hint at arrangements between Ferrari and the governing body, which Ferrari feel have not been honoured.

On April 28th Montezemolo wrote to Mosley and other world council members,
unhappy that budget caps had been put on the agenda of a meeting which was called to hear the McLaren case.

He wrote, ” I have always been concerned about its introduction (cost cap) mainly because I consider that there are serious technical difficulties in making sure that any cap can realistically be monitored.

“There are..doubts as to whether or not two categories of teams should be created which will inevitably mean that one category will have an advantage over the other and that the championship will be fundamentally unfaor and perhaps even biased. In any event this would create confusion in the public’s mind, which would seriously lower the value of Formula 1.”

This is a view shared by all the F1 teams, that having capped and uncapped teams operating to two different sets of rules is unworkable. FOTA will discuss this at its May 6th meeting.

But Montezemolo then goes on to remind Mosley about the deal, which he signed in 2005 to commit Ferrari to F1 until 2012, the one which broke the idea of a manufacturers’ breakaway series and for which Ferrari allegedly received €100 million.

Montezemolo’s point is that under the Concorde Agreement the FIA “cannot pass or amend any regulation without it being approved by the F1 commission.”

When Ferrari did its secret deal and signed up to 2012, it demanded and was granted “all rights under the previous Concorde Agreement will continue to apply until 31 December 2010, exactly as if the Agreement itself remained in place.”

The language then gets quite legal, and Montezemolo says he ‘insists’ that the FIA respect the agreement they made.

Presumably this is a coded message that Ferrari would launch a legal challenge against the cost cap. The problem there is time. It would take months and that would delay the 2010 rules being published, which would throw the series into chaos.

Ferrari would only launch an action like that with FOTA backing, but that will be hard because half of the teams in FOTA agree with the cost cap, which guarantees not just their survival but that they will be able to compete with the big boys and make a profit at the same time!
www.jamesallenonf1.com

Ferrari with their "we are the most important thing in F1" attitude.

This season is getting better and better by the day. Great find Damian!

LUca has the biggest mouth in F1 (even more than JStewart), but I dont like the idea of two tier series to allow small teams to catch up wtf. Look at what RossBrawn has done with genius and a few stickers form Sir Richard Branson.

P.s. anyone else miss Ron Dennis?

• Jon Marjanen

There is a contract between FIA/FOM and Ferrari that stated that rules like this would not be changed without Ferrari's consent. The contract was drawn BY FIA/FOM to get Ferrari to be the first team to sign I think the new concorde agreement at that time in 2005.

You can't really blame Ferrari for being upset that the contract hasn't been honoured. They have a right to be pissed. I would be too. It has really nothing to do with them thinking they are the most important team in F1. Eventhough they obviously are just that.

And to answer the question... No I don't miss Ron Dennis. The man was a cheating liar and F1 is better off without him.

• Wido Rossen

BMW joins Ferrari in F1 quit threat

BMW has joined Ferrari in hinting that it is willing to quit formula one if the 'two-tier' budget cap is imposed for 2010.

The newly-published regulations for next year offer teams the option to be limited to a 40m pounds sterling cap, affording them more technical freedoms than their big unlimited-spending rivals.

Max Mosley's revolution has enraged Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo, and BMW motor sport director Mario Theissen revealed on Tuesday that the board of the Munich manufacturer is similarly unimpressed.

"A two-class formula one is not attractive to BMW," the German said at a media event in Munich.

The BMW board re-approved the BMW-Sauber project in February, but Theissen warned that if the landscape in F1 dramatically changes, it would have "the same impact on the project".

The heated situation makes the meeting of the F1 teams alliance FOTA in London on Wednesday crucial.

Theissen expects the gathering to be a long one, but as Bernie Ecclestone suggested this week, the chasm between the big teams' position and that of the FIA president may not be unbridgeable.

But to the German press, he said of Mosley's 40m cap: "In one go you cannot just evaporate by a factor of three. A moving path, for example over two or three years, would be possible."

I've been watching F1 since the beginning of the 80's but the last couple of years it became a REAL circus. Rule changes left right and center even in the middle of a season when it wasn't properly thought through, monsoon driving so BE can make more money out of viewing numbers etc etc etc... It leaves a very bad taste in the mouth after following it for so long :(

Bernie Ecclestone + Max Mosley + F1 = Money

Feckin' hell, quit if they want. Doing no favours quitting, but they are doing no favours whining either.

They will just ruin themselves if they quit.

Besides, there was a 2 class F1 before. Namely, Turbo and Non-Turbo, and look how great that was! (Obviously this won't be as significant, but...)

I've been watching F1 since the beginning of the 80's but the last couple of years it became a REAL circus. Rule changes left right and center even in the middle of a season when it wasn't properly thought through, monsoon driving so BE can make more money out of viewing numbers etc etc etc... It leaves a very bad taste in the mouth after following it for so long :(

Bernie Ecclestone + Max Mosley + F1 = Money

Sums up most peoples feelings towards F1 at the moment i reckon. Considering i wasn't born until 1991 i missed out on seeing the better years of F1... but that's nothing that an evening on youtube cant fix :D

It wasn't much different under Balestre, the difference is the all pervading media these days. We hear about things we never would have back in the day. The political in fighting between teams was way more discreet back then but then so was the cheating.

There is a contract between FIA/FOM and Ferrari that stated that rules like this would not be changed without Ferrari's consent. The contract was drawn BY FIA/FOM to get Ferrari to be the first team to sign I think the new concorde agreement at that time in 2005.

You can't really blame Ferrari for being upset that the contract hasn't been honoured. They have a right to be pissed. I would be too. It has really nothing to do with them thinking they are the most important team in F1. Eventhough they obviously are just that.

And to answer the question... No I don't miss Ron Dennis. The man was a cheating liar and F1 is better off without him.

Ron wasnt that bad... or maybe

Ron wasnt that bad... or maybe

F1 aint the same anymore. Ron is a super Principal. Will be missed in the Paddock.

• Wido Rossen

The Big Formula One Threat Thread (merged)

Rubens Barrichello has threatened to quit Formula One if he discovers his Brawn GP team have given favourable treatment to Jenson Button.

The Brazilian led for much of Sunday's Spanish Grand Prix but finished second to Button after the Briton's pit strategy was changed.

Button has won four of the five races this season, with Barrichello finishing second to his team-mate twice.

"If I get the slightest sniff of the fact that they have favoured Jenson, I will hang up my helmet tomorrow," Barrichello SpeedTV.

"But I know (team owner) Ross (Brawn) wouldn't do that. He asked me to drive for him and he knows I want to race fairly with Jenson.

"I have had experience of that and if it happens I won't follow any team orders. I'm making this clear now but we have a much more friendly situation in this team."

Barrichello, the most experienced driver in F1 history, left Ferrari in 2005 because of a team strategy that favoured Michael Schumacher.

One infamous moment came at the end of the 2002 Austrian GP, when Barrichello was forced to slow down and let Schumacher past, handing the German victory and paving the way for team orders to be outlawed.

After the race, Barrichello said he did not know why Button was changed to a two-stop strategy but he stayed on three stops.

"I don't know why they changed Jenson's strategy, because we were both on three stops - for me it came as a surprise when they said he was changing to two," he said.

"Before the race took place the agreement was that both of the cars would be doing three stops, so I wonder why they didn't change me to a two-stop as I was the one who was running longer.

"From then I knew that I had to go flat-out to make my strategy work. However, I suffered on my third set of tyres and was not able to set the lap times which would have kept me ahead of Jenson.

"With the pace that I had pulling away from him, I really felt I had it in the bag, and then all of a sudden after my third stop I was on a tyre that wasn't working particularly well, and when I saw he was in front of me it was very disappointing.

"Right now everything is going in favour of Jenson, but I am a positive person and I just have to keep my side up. I am confident that my victory will come soon."

Reminds me of the Senna vs Prost days at McLaren :) What was Rubens expecting then! If i was Brawn i would put all my money on Button as well, since his standing in the drivers championship is better.

Let him hang up his helmet, and i am sure there are many drivers that want to have his seat :)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 118 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 158 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 303 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 434 39.7%