Hey everyone, I've recently upgraded from a Fanatec CSR to a Thrustmaster T300 and I really do mean upgraded. I mean in every other game the FFB is on another level but for some reason I can't get it dialled in on AMS. It's a shame because SCE then AMS had by far the greatest FFB of any sim with my CSR and it has always been my favourite. Does anyone have any tricks to getting the T300 set up on AMS? Because at the moment it all feels a bit dull, I can't even feel the curbs anymore :(

I know I've been pretty vague, I just wondered if this was something most TM users experienced.

Thanks!

Again thank you for your patronizing attitude. I know pretty damn sure that the pure setting doesn't utilize damper nor spring, but they still affect the wheel. Theoretical thoughts are not enough.
They don't. And I wouldn't call 10 years of experience with force feedback wheels and simulator FFBs 'theoretical'. I'm tinkering with FFB since my first Logitech Momo Force and Grand Prix Legends. What's your excuse to pretend my statements are straight off false?

Thank you both for your answers. For me, I'm not a fan of spring and damper, in my experience it does kill the detail (Sorry Tamas) having said that I am new to how thrustmaster deals with these forces so a little more tinkering is needed. I've also adjusted the real feel settings and that's made a difference but I still can't get it to feel as 'lively' as I have had it before. It is way better than it was before though and both suggestions have helped get me that far.

Honestly though, why did this have to descend into a silly argument? So what if something is more 'correct' than another. We're all unique and so are our sim racing tastes, surely a variety of opinion is better than a 'mine is right and everything else is invalid' kind of thing

Thanks again for both of you guys' opinions and experiences. Aside from the arguing, I do really appreciate you taking the time to help :):)

No need to adjust realfeel.ini, your symptom is not related to clipping. Your TM control panel can be the issue. BTW, spring and damper are dynamic forces with a TM wheel, not constantly applied values. It depends on the game if it makes use of them. For example, Dirt Rally FFB relies highly on those to produce tyre forces.
This is interesting, I've always had spring and damper on zero for all Sims, are you saying that it should be default?

Some say zero, some say default. With the Logitech wheels it was better on zero, due to the lack of torque and high internal resistance. It all comes down to how the specific sim uses it. For Dirt Rally, you loose lots of tyre detail if you turn them off. In AC you'll get more feedback, but directly from the tyre level instead of from the steering rack. rF2 doesn't even use spring and damper, so the values don't matter there.

I'd suggest to try it out both way and use what feels better for you. Spring and damper on leads to a more realistic feeling (you have the steering rack between you and the tyres/suspension in a real car), but it's down to taste if you like that. But for Dirt Rally, it's a big part of how the FFB was designed, it will be night and day there.

Personally I use 95% gain and 90/90/90/90 for the rest in the profiler.

Some say zero, some say default. With the Logitech wheels it was better on zero, due to the lack of torque and high internal resistance. It all comes down to how the specific sim uses it. For Dirt Rally, you loose lots of tyre detail if you turn them off. In AC you'll get more feedback, but directly from the tyre level instead of from the steering rack. rF2 doesn't even use spring and damper, so the values don't matter there.

I'd suggest to try it out both way and use what feels better for you. Spring and damper on leads to a more realistic feeling (you have the steering rack between you and the tyres/suspension in a real car), but it's down to taste if you like that. But for Dirt Rally, it's a big part of how the FFB was designed, it will be night and day there.

Personally I use 95% gain and 90/90/90/90 for the rest in the profiler.
Ok thanks, I mainly play Raceroom with a bit of Automobilista.

Interesting. I have to test the TM values too for more info. I have got my TX settings at aprox 75%, 100,100,0,0 for two years in all sims. :confused:

Guys,

So in 2020 - where do we stand with he FFB in AMS? Has it lost something since the days of SCE, or have the numerous releases since this post was started solved a lot of the "light steering" comments? I'm about to purchase either a G29 or T300, but I'm swaying more towards the TM. Thoughts?

Guys,

So in 2020 - where do we stand with he FFB in AMS? Has it lost something since the days of SCE, or have the numerous releases since this post was started solved a lot of the "light steering" comments? I'm about to purchase either a G29 or T300, but I'm swaying more towards the TM. Thoughts?

It has been improved since SCE. There is no "light steering" in AMS unless you have your wheel settings misconfigured.

I bought my Son a TM racing wheel and I can promise there is no light steering in AMS. The FFB in this sim for me is the best. I have an fanatic CSR and its great in that as well. My best friend has a G29 and it also works well in that too. id probably go with the TM if you want more FFB but theres not a lot in it either way

Hey there!
Could anyone share the settings for the T300 in AMS? Are they still spring 0% and damper 0% and the rest default? Or do I really need to edit the realfeel plugin? Does the setting really change for each car? It's interesting because on the G29 yes there are differences, but I don't need to change the settings each time - I just get used to lighter or heavier wheel feelings and presto.
But with the t300 it's way too light on straights. I miss the heavier feel.

I've read all the messages on this thread. And though the debate got hot and great in the middle of it, I believe no one came here and said "do this and it will work for Automobilista". I'm not complaining at all, not "demanding" anything (who am I but a user? I'm just a simdriver), just stating that if it is possible, could anyone inform these settings?

Thanks in advance to all of you. Thanks to RaceDepartment for all you've done to the sim racing community in the last decade+, one of the few survivors of a gold age where we had nogripracing, race2play and the likes. I miss those years... and now I'm old.

Hey there!
Could anyone share the settings for the T300 in AMS? Are they still spring 0% and damper 0% and the rest default? Or do I really need to edit the realfeel plugin? Does the setting really change for each car? It's interesting because on the G29 yes there are differences, but I don't need to change the settings each time - I just get used to lighter or heavier wheel feelings and presto.
But with the t300 it's way too light on straights. I miss the heavier feel.

I've read all the messages on this thread. And though the debate got hot and great in the middle of it, I believe no one came here and said "do this and it will work for Automobilista". I'm not complaining at all, not "demanding" anything (who am I but a user? I'm just a simdriver), just stating that if it is possible, could anyone inform these settings?

Thanks in advance to all of you. Thanks to RaceDepartment for all you've done to the sim racing community in the last decade+, one of the few survivors of a gold age where we had nogripracing, race2play and the likes. I miss those years... and now I'm old.
Personally yes for me to make any progress I had to edit the realfeel file. It's really not that hard to understand, I can supply literature on it if needed? I think even Niels gave a quite in depth description here at RD about what each parameter does in the file. Failing that get a Fanatec wheel?! I bought a CSW 2.5....oh my... What a difference.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 172 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 337 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 467 39.0%