FM7 FFB Updates Headline New Forza Motorsport 7 Update

Forza Motorsport 7 (Turn 10 Studios)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Forza 7 Update.jpg

A new update has dropped today for Forza Motorsport 7, with force feedback improvements set to headline the latest build.

Microsoft and Turn 10 Studios have released another new update to their Forza Motorsport 7 racing game on Xbox One and Windows 10 PC, adding the 2017 Ferrari GTC4 Lusso as February's free spotlight machine, and a range of fixes and improvements to the title. Of the highlights from the new build, Turn 10 have improved the loading times of the software to present a quicker and more enjoyable experience for players, as well as enhanced Force Feedback that should provide a fresh experience behind the wheel for players of the title.

February Spotlight Car - 2017 Ferrari GTC4 Lusso
Proving that a Ferrari can be practical, the GTC4 Lusso does something few other Ferraris can: carry a family of four. Don’t let that practicality fool you, though, as this four-seater is everything you would expect from the Prancing Pony and more. Up front, you have a 680 horsepower V-12 that, while more subtle than its supercar brethren, is nothing less than breathtaking. From a throaty idle to an 8,000-rpm bellow, there are gobs of torquey power to pull you through the curves or launch you into orbit with a top speed of over 200 mph. There’s also rear wheel steering taken from the F12tdf that will help the car to rotate into corners with poise. In Italian, lusso means “luxury” but there’s more than just creature comforts here. The GTC4 is a thrill ride for the whole family, no matter if the destination is the local grocer or the switchbacks of the nearest mountain pass.

Updated Paint Space
Forza livery creators have some new tools to work with in the February update, as we’ve made some significant improvements to the paint space. First and foremost, the paint space itself now features four user-selectable lighting scenarios – Ambient Light, Ambient Dark, Sunny, and Sunset. This gives the players the ability to view their liveries in a variety of lighting environments, perfect for highlighting those problem areas in a design. In addition, we’ve brought the functionality of Forzavista into the paint space; now players can open doors and hoods, get inside the car, and quickly spin around their car to see how a design is flowing.

We’ve also added Photo Mode to the Paint Space; which can be accessed within the Forzavista option in the Paint Space. This update also adds a Free Camera system in the main garage (accessible via Forzavista), which allows unobstructed movement around the garage home space while in Photo Mode.

Forza 7 Update 2.jpg

Force Feedback Update
This month, we’ve introduced a Force Feedback (FFB) update for wheel users. This update addresses issues that were causing latency between the physics frame and the FFB frame, which manifested as oscillation. With this update, wheel users will feel less oscillation and hitching in wheel FFB.

In addition to these features and changes, we have made some back-end improvements that will improve load times into multiplayer races. These improvements will save players anywhere from 10-30 seconds during a load into a 24-car race.

February Events
New #Forzathon events have already begun in Forza Motorsport 7, with a great lineup of events and rewards coming throughout the month of February. Look for cars like the 2010 Maserati Gran Turismo S Forza Edition, the 1987 Ferrari F40, the 1946 Ford Super Deluxe Woody Wagon Forza Edition and more up for grabs, as well nearly 1 million in-game credits available to win across all of February’s events.

Our February crop of Rivals events have also kicked off. Forza 7 VIPs have access to a new event in the 1997 Maserati Ghibli Cup on Dubai. Over in Leagues, we’ve got our current “Keeping Pace” season happening now, featuring divisions like Formula 90s, Forza Touring Cars, and more, along with sweet rewards like the 1968 Dodge Dart HEMI Super Stock Forza Edition, among others.

FORZA MOTORSPORT 7 UPDATE NOTES:

General
  • Fixed an issue where warnings could not be shown if player disabled opponent labels.
  • Fixed an issue where certain telemetry HUD elements were misaligned in 16:9 aspect ratio.
  • Signs that have been knocked down into the roadway now have a more consistent effect when hit by vehicles.
  • When playing in Free Play on Teams, players’ team colors will no longer change in the Event Results screen as other drivers finish.
  • Fixed an issue where PC players could not rewind a clip while using a keyboard and mouse.
  • Fixed an issue where a player who joins a public Meetup hopper after the race begins receives poor visual feedback after pressing “Join Race.”
  • Inconsistent text color of the “Free” breadcrumb between Marketplace menu and View Cars menu.
  • Added badge for the Merkur brand.
  • Added Tamo logo in several menus where it was previously missing.
  • Centered Race Time and Current Lap time text in its UI box.
  • Fixed an issue where, in drag, a vehicle would sustain damage to rear when assists were changed at the starting line immediately after acceleration.
  • Fixed an issue where the “Low Bandwidth Warning” message overlaps HUD elements in a race.
  • Fixed an issue on PC version where player gamertags and numbers were oversized during the 3-2-1 countdown during standing starts.
  • Fixed an issue where 3-2-1 countdown was not correctly aligned to the screen.
  • Fixed an issue where Rivals ghosts were appearing in Photo mode.
  • Tuning increments are now consistent between localizations.
  • Fixed an issue where driving over some rumble strips caused 100 percent damage.
  • Updated the Car Collection Exclusive Content messaging to reflect unlocked exclusive cars.
  • Drift HUD now shows best/last lap drift scores.
  • Fixed an issue where HDR Calibration scale appears enlarged and cuts off part of the Title.
  • Fixed an issue where changing Collision Mode to “Always Off” makes a player’s car clip through every collideable (tirewalls, cones, etc.)
  • Removed opponent labels during the Event Results screen of the post-race sequence.
  • Fixed an issue where opponent labels showed incorrect information on random cars behind the player.
  • Fixed an issue where opponent labels were incorrectly displayed after the player exited the on-track Photo mode.
  • Fixed an issue with opponent labels where the distance label was not reflecting an accurate distance when close to the opponent cars.
  • Fixed an issue with opponent labels where the group number was still visible even after label was collapsed.
  • Removed reference to prize crates in the More Info screen of Race Shop.
  • Fixed an issue where players would become invisible if they selected “Back to Pits” from the Pause menu and then quickly rejoined a Meetups race.
  • Fixed an issue in Meetups where players did not ghost during the first 20 seconds upon entering an event.
Audio
  • Fixed an issue where music was not audible after viewing the Multiplayer initial experience video.
Tracks
  • Fixed a bug that would cause lighting to “pop” on certain wet ribbon tracks during the track establishing shot.
  • Adjusted suggested racing line at Dubai near right-hand wall before hotel.
  • Fixed an issue where cars could fall out of the environment after rolling and landing on the roof or side in the gravel on certain tracks, including Silverstone.
  • Fixed an issue on Hockenheim where dark “shadow” spots were still appearing on ground event after loose tires were moved.
  • Fixed an issue where hitching occurred on Prague Short when driving in Free Play.
  • Fixed an issue where cars would jump and/or hitch when scrolling between cars in Buy Car or My Garage menus.

Cars
  • Fixed an issue with the 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, where turning off the camera motion effects created a large hole in the dashboard when driving in wheel-less cockpit view.
  • Adjusted driver camera with the 1970 Plymouth Hemi Cuda Convertible Barrett-Jackson Edition to better show gauges.
  • Adjusted the performance graph in the Upgrade Shop menu for the 1963 Shelby Monaco King Cobra.

Spectate
  • Fixed an issue where the Spectate camera goes out of the environment on certain sections of Suzuka West Circuit Alt.
  • In Spectate, players markers will now be removed from the mini map once a player has disconnected during a race.

All in all, another solid update from Turn 10 Studios as they continue to steadily improve Forza Motorsport 7 on Xbox One and Windows 10 PC.

Forza Motorsport 7 is available for Xbox One and Windows 10 PC now.

Check out the Forza Motorsport 7 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest from the smash hit Forza racing game franchise.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Last edited:
Now that I'm reading it, I guess I came off as angry or at least annoyed. It wasn't my intention.

Fab, I'm glad we're still just discussing games and it's nothing personal or one of those sim racing special moments. Your attention to detail is exceptional - like the opta stats/moneyball of sim racing. One of these sim developers ought to sign you up as data joe.

Thanks for the explanations and no need to spend more time on it unless you want to! Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 yes I agree slightly stickier than the Corsa but not as extreme as the Trofeo-R so you likely made the right call.

I'm going to give the GT3 RS a run vs the real world laptime video in each game over the weekend and see how they do. I've driven several iterations of the GT3 RS with the Porsche Driving School at Silverstone but not at the 'ring so it won't be as direct a comparison in terms of wheel and car feel on the same track as it is with the Megane and the real 'ring for me.

As a linked point, I've been lucky enough to get invited to a track tyre test days for the last few years and drive several cars on the leading trackday tyres.

I can't say much about the tests but my personal opinion is that all the tyres have benefits and downsides, ultimate grip for a hotlap, those Trofeo R's are something else (it's really a dry weather only tyre) but for performance and durability and performance all day long nothing touches the Cup 2's, all that endurance racing experience has benefits. I personally buy Michelin PS Cup 2's and even run them on my road car during the summer because the level of grip is amazing on road and track.

Good work with the data and I don't doubt AC is ultimately more accurate but I still think Forza can produce some high quality moments too, especially with the new FFB.

Fab, I'm glad we're still just discussing games and it's nothing personal or one of those sim racing special moments. Your attention to detail is exceptional - like the opta stats/moneyball of sim racing. One of these sim developers ought to sign you up as data joe.

Thanks for the explanations and no need to spend more time on it unless you want to! Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 yes I agree slightly stickier than the Corsa but not as extreme as the Trofeo-R so you likely made the right call.

I'm going to give the GT3 RS a run vs the real world laptime video in each game over the weekend and see how they do. I've driven several iterations of the GT3 RS with the Porsche Driving School at Silverstone but not at the 'ring so it won't be as direct a comparison in terms of wheel and car feel on the same track as it is with the Megane and the real 'ring for me.

As a linked point, I've been lucky enough to get invited to a track tyre test days for the last few years and drive several cars on the leading trackday tyres.

I can't say much about the tests but my personal opinion is that all the tyres have benefits and downsides, ultimate grip for a hotlap, those Trofeo R's are something else (it's really a dry weather only tyre) but for performance and durability and performance all day long nothing touches the Cup 2's, all that endurance racing experience has benefits. I personally buy Michelin PS Cup 2's and even run them on my road car during the summer because the level of grip is amazing on road and track.

Good work with the data and I don't doubt AC is ultimately more accurate but I still think Forza can produce some high quality moments too, especially with the new FFB.
Thanks for the kind words. What I heard about the Michelin is that it gives exceptional feedback and the tire just feels right.
About Forza again: Turn 10 models some parameters of the stock tire compound different for each car to match some real world data better, which is pretty hit and miss with some real stinkers in there too. I'm sure some FM7 cars can produce amazingly accurate lap times.

Let me know how the comparisons between games vs a real life video go, when you get to it; I'm definitely interested in the outcome (can be a private message too, we're derailing here I think). Maybe you can compare the speedo for some straights and corners as well.
Btw. about 2 years ago I wrote small program in the Wolfram language that crops out speedo values in from an image and OCR-scans the data into a speed data, so I could compare it to pCARS (the pCARS Profiler has CSV data export). It mostly worked, but when it didn't (because of bad background behind the HUD values), I had to clean up the list by hand, there was also some h.264 trouble... still would have been cool for your laps. We could have added AC data too; with the ACTI add-on you can import AC telemetry into MoTec i2 Pro and from there export into a CSV table for Mathematica or Excel (not as fun though :geek:).

Just got a freeze in the game. I just left free play and the screen went black with the spinning wheel thing then it froze. I tried to atl+ctrl+del but didn't work, in the end i had to hard reset my pc.

Well I wasn't going to be defeated by a couple of UI sliders so here goes:

I made these for my Logitech DFGT but they should be good for all gear and belt driven wheels. I tried it with mostly AWD and RWD S-class cars but also a few C, B and A cars.

Vibration 10 (personal pref)
FFB gain 75 (personal pref, adjust this if wheel feels too strong/light)
Align 200 (don't touch)
Mech 130 (don't touch)
Pneum 70(don't touch)
Road feel 100 (should begood)
Damper 0 (the usual, but belt wheels might benefit from 10-20)
Center Spring 0 (don't touch)

For S-class and above 540 degrees should be perfect, for A and below 720-900 is good.

edit: I'm really curious to hear what people think of these so let me know eh? Good or bad :) It will still feel a bit disconnected but it is what it is.

Hustling the GT3 RS round the 'ring proved to be a lot of fun.

2019 GT3 RS Forza 7 vs Real World Record Nordschleife Lap Time

As far as the latest wheel feedback is concerned both the weight and feel in the wheel are superb. As is the sometimes case with Forza the GT3RS isn't as exact a match with the real world lap time car - not as close as the Megane in any case. About 90% of the lap is a match in terms of corner speed but the last third of the track the Forza car has less grip but a higher top speed on the straights, overall though it's a close run lap.

We had more fun running track day style laps around the 'ring in 'meet up' mode (shamelessly borrowed from AC no question) this weekend than for many years. I didn't think Forza would improve this much so late in the game cycle, let's hope this means something special is on the way for the next game.

Hustling the GT3 RS round the 'ring proved to be a lot of fun.

2019 GT3 RS Forza 7 vs Real World Record Nordschleife Lap Time

As far as the latest wheel feedback is concerned both the weight and feel in the wheel are superb. As is the sometimes case with Forza the GT3RS isn't as exact a match with the real world lap time car - not as close as the Megane in any case. About 90% of the lap is a match in terms of corner speed but the last third of the track the Forza car has less grip but a higher top speed on the straights, overall though it's a close run lap.

We had more fun running track day style laps around the 'ring in 'meet up' mode (shamelessly borrowed from AC no question) this weekend than for many years. I didn't think Forza would improve this much so late in the game cycle, let's hope this means something special is on the way for the next game.
Forza has a bad aero model from ~240km/h onwards, GT was exactly the same but worse, that's what made the difference at the Döttinger Höhe at the end. The other real differences seemed to have been the rev-limit and the mechanical lateral grip... braking didn't seem to be much of edge as my data predicted [ooor you're programmed from other sims to brake too early and not hard enough when switching over to driving FM7 ;)]
Overall it's still pretty damn close for the actual results... BUT... looking at the suspension movement and connectedness to the road in your bumper-cam replay from FM7... that looks scary AF(!).
Those spring rates and especially the damper simulation looks super off and last-gen in FM in a way that can't cope with the bumpiness of their pretty pretty realistic modern track surface there.

Very cool video though!

Forza has a bad aero model from ~240km/h onwards, GT was exactly the same but worse, that's what made the difference at the Döttinger Höhe at the end. The other real differences seemed to have been the rev-limit and the mechanical lateral grip... braking didn't seem to be much of edge as my data predicted [ooor you're programmed from other sims to brake too early and not hard enough when switching over to driving FM7 ;)]
Overall it's still pretty damn close for the actual results... BUT... looking at the suspension movement and connectedness to the road in your bumper-cam replay from FM7... that looks scary AF(!).
Those spring rates and especially the damper simulation looks super off and last-gen in FM in a way that can't cope with the bumpiness of their pretty pretty realistic modern track surface there.

Very cool video though!

:thumbsup:Undoubtedly I am braking too early based on your data, yes I agree with that!! Since you showed those graphs I've tried braking later but I tend to get real world braking point brain over ride and find it hard to go beyond that!

I agree on the dampers to. it's grounding out and this is with maximum ride height, the 'ring shows this more than any probably other FM7 circuit (Rio might be as dodgy?). The real GT3 RS is an incredible car and manages to be firm yet supple so you are once again spot on.

Thanks for your comment on the video, I'm glad you enjoyed as it was a lot of fun to make. If I can't be at the track, video games are the next best thing especially in VR.

Keep up your great data work too, that is some astonishing stuff.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 139 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 195 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 380 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 518 38.6%