DiRT Rally FFB Settings

Original QUOTE from CM Dirt forums:

While DiRT Rally is yours to tinker with we don’t want to encourage modifying the force feedback effectsetup.xml and devicesetup.xml files as we've noticed some users are.

Modifying the wheel to use parameters defined for the controller (pad) or replacing incompatible previous game FFB files are likely to compromise your experience of the game. It’s not how the game is made to be played and we can’t offer any support for the consequences of modifying this data and how it will affect the game.

We are totally open to feedback and if you feel that the FFB is not behaving how you would like you need to talk to us about it, together we can make DiRT Rally better for everyone.

For now the team has collated their recommended steering wheel settings for the officially supported wheels, Try these out and let us know what you think below, we're happy to work with you all on getting this right but we would advise against the modification to the xml files we've seen floating around the web.

All Wheels - Recommend using 200 – 540 degree (however 270-400 is the sweet spot)

Vibration & Feedback Settings (Recommended)

This image has been resized to fit in the page. Click to enlarge.

Advanced Wheel Settings (Recommended)

Logitech G25 & G27

Logitech Profiler Version 5.10.127

Logitech Driver Version 5.10.127

Logitech Profiler Settings

Options -> Global Device Settings

ZmZUtp5.png

Windows Control Panel -> Game Controllers -> Logitech G25/G27 -> Properties -> Logitech G25/G27 Racing Wheel Properties -> Settings

3avE5Ko.png

Fanatec Clubsport Base v1 & v2

Driver Version : 205 (BETA)

Firmware version: 53

Windows Control Panel -> Game Controllers

Note: Connect the Fanatec Pedals via USB

Y8SEyy4.png

Windows Control Panel -> Game Controllers -> ClubSport Wheel -> Properties -> Settings

Fanatec Clubsport Base Device Tuning Menu

SEN (Sensitivity): SEN default: OFF

FF (Force Feedback): FF default: 100

SHO (Shock): SHO default: 100

ABS default: OFF

LIN (Linearity): LIN default: OFF

DEA (Deadzone): DEA default: OFF

DRI (Drift mode): DRI default: OFF

FOR (force): FOR default: 100

SPR (spring): SPR default: 100

DPR (damper): DPR default: 100

We recommend this official Fanatec Clubsport Wheel setup video:

Thrustmaster T500 RS/F1 Racing Wheel

Firmware: 43

Driver: 2.8.16.0

Windows Control Panel -> Game Controllers -> Thrustmaster T500 Racing Wheel -> Properties

Thrustmaster T500 RS Control Panel -> Test Input Tab

lCp22hT.png

Thrustmaster T500 RS Control Panel -> Gain Settings Tab

yB2ryjs.png

Set the wheel’s ‘Pedal Set Position’ mode (LED red/green) depending on your pedal orientation.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey, i take it you work at CM, cool to see you drop by.

i found 270 to be oversteery (as imo it should be). i think im at 450 right now, could probably try 400, but i also feel like 540 should be the target setting. i absolutely think this title should be accessible, but i dont understand why a realistic 540 deg isnt perfectly doable as well.

the ffb, i understand official caution against the tweaked .xml's, but i find them essential. the default ffb...well, tbh i dont remember it. and i think thats bc there was just nothing notable about it except that it was really, really bad. this isn't just me talking, but im sure youve heard this enough that im making yr head hurt :) i dont recall any particular feeling, except of some resistance in the wheel. with tweaks, i get some roadfeel, the wheel goes light when im airborne, i can occasionally feel corrections that need to be made instead of having to rely on visual cues. the main thing missing to me, & im sure youve heard this 100x as well, is the complete lack of weight transfer...this is just an essential part of ffb & its absent.

Its been said before but those windows or profile settings are for an arcade game with no physics derived FFB. Any Driving or Racing Sim for years has not used values above 0 for Spring, Damper or Centering Spring. I tried those settings even though I knew they would be totally fake centering force only and that is exactly what they were.

• Deleted member 197115

Profile settings with Spring and Damper is a pretty ill advise for "sim".
270 degrees of rotation, really?

Thanks for dropping by and getting involved :thumbsup:

I'm sure this has been asked for before, but any word on support for a wider range of wheels (I have an AccuForce and would love to see it supported without having to hack about with xml files), and allow running at 900+ degrees with the game selecting the correct 1:1 steering angle mapping for all of the cars?

Last edited:
No you don't, if you set wheel to 270 in wheel settings that is total wheel rotation you get, try it.

If your edit is correct, that is even worse as turning your wheel 90 degrees would give 180 in game, which is stupid, and would make cars very twitchy to drive.

You are making no sense whatsoever to me, I never use Logi profiler in any case.

No one would set there wheel to only 40 degrees rotation, so having rotation setting going below that is pointless in any case.

If your are looking at the Saturation slider in game for steering, full is 1:1 with whatever wheel rotation is, that's why if your wheel set to 900, it takes an age to get car round a hairpin.
Put slider at half way and it will make car act as if you are using 450 degrees on wheel and will turn tighter, at least that is what I read.

Best to leave saturation at full in order to get smoothest response until they add in proper wheel rotation support, which they are looking at.

You are making no sense whatsoever to me, I never use Logi profiler in any case.

No one would set there wheel to only 40 degrees rotation, so having rotation setting going below that is pointless in any case.

If your are looking at the Saturation slider in game for steering, full is 1:1 with whatever wheel rotation is, that's why if your wheel set to 900, it takes an age to get car round a hairpin.
Put slider at half way and it will make car act as if you are using 450 degrees on wheel and will turn tighter, at least that is what I read.

Best to leave saturation at full in order to get smoothest response until they add in proper wheel rotation support, which they are looking at.
Ok, for me this setting for logitech profiler are great, now i try changed only setting (Recommended) in game.

However I with these settings I am much better, now I'm just going to change the recommended values in the game, though many complain of dead steering, must also understand that in the rally are few times that the wheels are always touching the ground .. ......

• Deleted member 197115

With 270 degrees you have in total 540°
Codemasters have multiplicated steering...
I have Thrustmaster profile set to 900, as I play other sims and Thrustmaster does not support game specific profiles like Logitech. Dialing wheel saturation to 60% in game gives me 540 degrees.
Not sure what multiplication you are talking about, but I just do not see one by the way wheel respond. T300RS, btw, may be other wheels are different.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 274 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 400 40.0%