FFB goes "numb" when turning

On straights etc the FFB feels fine and the wheel moves around and gives proper forces but most of the time during a heavy turn all I can feel is the turning force until I let go / get back to the center. This is NOT clipping related. What's going on? Turning is more so "damper" than anything else if that makes sense. Then it loosens up around center and other forces comes back again.

TS-PC

Last edited:
Which car are you driving? AC's ffb is determined by the geometry with very few other settings, so if your ffb sliders are normal (ie. 50-100% overall force, no damping added) it could just be the way a certain car feels.

Which car are you driving? AC's ffb is determined by the geometry with very few other settings, so if your ffb sliders are normal (ie. 50-100% overall force, no damping added) it could just be the way a certain car feels.

Audi R8 LMS 2016 seems to behave like this quite often. For example at the first few long turns on Monza where you're kind of just driving and turning at the same time for a while if I keep the steering wheel a bit close to center (turns fine obviously) the force feedback feels normal and similar to straights - lots of effects coming in and what not but right as I turn it a little bit further away from that sweet spot I can almost feel some sort of mild vibration in the FFB and as for effects there are none except for the turning force if that makes any sense. Like the strength of the turning but right as you loosen it up a bit (turn a tad bit less) all the road bumps and what not instantly comes back and then if I turn it too much again all the effects basically get overwritten by the turning force until it loosens up.

Oof, very sorry for this terrible and lengthy explanation.

I have been trying to get a good FFB configuration for weeks but I never quite know when to stop the tweaking so at this point I've settled in on the default AC settings and for the thrustmaster settings 100% strength - constant 100% - periodic 100% - and spring/damper at 0%

I'm honestly a bit annoyed at "FFBClip" so I have decided to get rid of that and rather do something I have never done before which is to use the "+/-" on the numpad and manually set the FFB value for each car. This way I can be in more control and ensure stability at all times. (Yes, trust issues...... I'm sure FFBClip is fantastic but a bit anxious due to the turning numbness. I tested without FFBClip and used the default FFB strength and upon turning the clip bar were completely red and guess what? It felt EXACTLY the same as what happens w the FFBClip configuration however I never saw the bar even flash red during the numbness. I'm so confused lol. All in all, I don't want to rely on it anymore. Will see where this takes me.

Appreciate any help on this. I have been put off from sim racing because of my anxiety on this. "Is this right?" "Doesn't feel right" "Did I make it worse?" "Ah, much better" > tries a different car "Nope..." The AC FFB settings only makes this much worse for me. "Kerb, road, slip, ABS." all that jazz.

Well this made my ADHD flare up and I wrote a bible, once again I have to apologize for this.

Also do you have any specific car in mind that are good for setting up a wheel?

Last edited:
Audi R8 LMS 2016 seems to behave like this quite often. For example at the first few long turns on Monza where you're kind of just driving and turning at the same time for a while if I keep the steering wheel a bit close to center (turns fine obviously) the force feedback feels normal and similar to straights - lots of effects coming in and what not but right as I turn it a little bit further away from that sweet spot I can almost feel some sort of mild vibration in the FFB and as for effects there are none except for the turning force if that makes any sense. Like the strength of the turning but right as you loosen it up a bit (turn a tad bit less) all the road bumps and what not instantly comes back and then if I turn it too much again all the effects basically get overwritten by the turning force until it loosens up.

Oof, very sorry for this terrible and lengthy explanation.

I have been trying to get a good FFB configuration for weeks but I never quite know when to stop the tweaking so at this point I've settled in on the default AC settings and for the thrustmaster settings 100% strength - constant 100% - periodic 100% - and spring/damper at 0%

I'm honestly a bit annoyed at "FFBClip" so I have decided to get rid of that and rather do something I have never done before which is to use the "+/-" on the numpad and manually set the FFB value for each car. This way I can be in more control and ensure stability at all times. (Yes, trust issues...... I'm sure FFBClip is fantastic but a bit anxious due to the turning numbness. I tested without FFBClip and used the default FFB strength and upon turning the clip bar were completely red and guess what? It felt EXACTLY the same as what happens w the FFBClip configuration however I never saw the bar even flash red during the numbness. I'm so confused lol. All in all, I don't want to rely on it anymore. Will see where this takes me.

Appreciate any help on this. I have been put off from sim racing because of my anxiety on this. "Is this right?" "Doesn't feel right" "Did I make it worse?" "Ah, much better" > tries a different car "Nope..." The AC FFB settings only makes this much worse for me. "Kerb, road, slip, ABS." all that jazz.

Well this made my ADHD flare up and I wrote a bible, once again I have to apologize for this.

Also do you have any specific car in mind that are good for setting up a wheel?

I'm not sure what you guys mean by "numb" feeling. I just took the Audi R8 LMS 2016 for a spin around Monza, having never driven that car before. I have to say I felt what I feel is good feedback. I could feel the bumps in the road, even with more steering lock around the curva parabolica. I felt the bumps if i hit them in the corners. Some of the kerbs don't give much feedback, but I think it depends on the angle you hit them, and if they're 'flat' or not. Perhaps you mean the flatter sort of feel when the wheel is turned in that you feel mostly the pull of the wheel to straighten out again? This depends on the car, and also there's only so much information that can be put through a wheel. If you had a complete hydraulic rig or w/e they use profesionally I'm sure you'd get more if the game is set up for it =P

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 102 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 184 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 363 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 503 39.0%