DiRT Rally 2.0 FFB Fixed Dirt Rally 2.0 For Logitech G27

Revision 5
Dirt Rally 2.0 FFB Settings New Update

Create backup device_defines.xml or check integrity of the game files in steam
See my settings photo and try!!
These are highly tested and very balanced correction settings, they work perfectly in every surface and in any weather condition, sensing every single effect except the vibration of the motor the engine cars , I'm not sure if it's a limitation of motors missing in my unmodified g27.
If you want to create the zip backup don't leave it in the game directory but move it elsewhere.
Obviously those who are not interested in the modification to improve their experience of the ffb, unfortunately limited to dirt rally 2.0, do not write useless comments but comments only after actually testing the thing and possibly suggesting sensible improvements.
thanks a lot

Last edited:
@Martin Fiala do you want to or shall I do it? :x3:

Ilborga70 I really really appreciate that you care for the rest of us and put in the work to create and update this thread.
But what you do there is just clip the crap out of the poor g27. You amplified the forces so much that it might feel like "action and surface details" but what you really get is a wild mix of way too over saturated ffb without any grip progression and details.
For sure it is lively and maybe even cool to drive with it but it really can't be called a fix.

It's like you'd take a crappy picture and think "that lacks some pop in the colours and details" and then put contrast, saturation and sharpness to the maximum.

@Martin Fiala do you want to or shall I do it? :x3:

Ilborga70 I really really appreciate that you care for the rest of us and put in the work to create and update this thread.
But what you do there is just clip the crap out of the poor g27. You amplified the forces so much that it might feel like "action and surface details" but what you really get is a wild mix of way too over saturated ffb without any grip progression and details.
For sure it is lively and maybe even cool to drive with it but it really can't be called a fix.

It's like you'd take a crappy picture and think "that lacks some pop in the colours and details" and then put contrast, saturation and sharpness to the maximum.

Thanks but for me this is most best for the other called fix. If not try no problem for me. Greetings

Not that I want to go into all this again, with the way DR2 community tends to be (and me being so completely sick of it at this point, so I think I would appreciate not being tagged in stuff like this), but...I really don't understand the changes suggested here, to be honest. First, I don't understand the purpose of raising the priority of certain devices above 100 - I don't see the point in doing that, it's not like the game is defaulting to a wrong device, so it just seems pointless, especially if you simply raise the priority for multiple devices at the same time using a same value.

And second, I don't understand the ffb_force adjustments done here. He's keeping the ffb_force for the G27 at 1.0, which is obviously fine, but for some reason raising the ffb_force setting for the generic Xinput and Direct input wheels to a ridiculous value of 10...but that shouldn't even do anything for a G27, since a G27 should not be using the settings for a generic Xinput or Dinput wheels, but its own specific settings...? Or do the generic settings still apply, even if the wheel has its own dedicated settings?

And also, why adjust both Xinput and Dinput?

Not that I want to go into all this again, with the way DR2 community tends to be (and me being so completely sick of it at this point, so I think I would appreciate not being tagged in stuff like this), but...I really don't understand the changes suggested here, to be honest. First, I don't understand the purpose of raising the priority of certain devices above 100 - I don't see the point in doing that, it's not like the game is defaulting to a wrong device, so it just seems pointless, especially if you simply raise the priority for multiple devices at the same time using a same value.

And second, I don't understand the ffb_force adjustments done here. He's keeping the ffb_force for the G27 at 1.0, which is obviously fine, but for some reason raising the ffb_force setting for the generic Xinput and Direct input wheels to a ridiculous value of 10...but that shouldn't even do anything for a G27, since a G27 should not be using the settings for a generic Xinput or Dinput wheels, but its own specific settings...? Or do the generic settings still apply, even if the wheel has its own dedicated settings?

And also, why adjust both Xinput and Dinput?
Simply because Dirt Rally 2.0 distributes the forces and vibrations by sorting them for devices and others remain low.

@ilborga70 I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're saying. What do you mean by "distributes the forces and vibrations by sorting them for devices and others remain low"?
In the sense that some devices have more strength than others. Doing as I did by increasing the priority of some of them in my case the g27 and disabling others is the fact that now I hear everything I need to hear on the road

@ilborga70 I'm still not sure I understand you correctly, but...I don't think you understand the way the device priority is supposed to work, or what it represents. Of course different devices have different priority, that's the point.

You did increase the priority for the G27 wheel from the default 100 to 300. You've also increased the priority of generic Xinput and Dinput wheels from the default 99 to - again - 300. And you've also increased the priority for keyboard input from 2 to 200.

I don't think you have achieved anything by doing this. Well, anything positive at least.

First, the priority setting is only used to determine the device priority to be used as a steering input device if you leave this completely up to the game to decide. You can manually override it at any moment in the controls section, in which case the priority setting becomes meaningless.

Second, you've not really changed anything in regard of priority for the G27. It was at 100, which is already the highest priority. Setting this to 300 does nothing on a system with only a G27 wheel connected, as in that case, the G27 already is the preferred device for the game to use, so you can't make it *even more preferred than preferred* - there's nowhere to go from the highest tier. Raising the G27's priority to 300 would only make sense in case you had multiple wheels connected at the same time and you wanted to make absolutely sure the game prefers the G27 over any other wheel (and even then you could still just manually override it, see above).

Third, you've raised the priority of a generic Xinput or Dinput wheel from 99 to once again 300. By doing this, you are effectively breaking the whole thing, because those devices are set to a lower priority for a reason (you want them to be on a slightly lower priority than wheels the game recognizes directly, because they are generic only), and also because their 99 priority is a reserved value that should not be changed for this very reason. So the only thing you might've achieved by this is that now, the generic wheel has the exact same priority as your G27. The game will still likely prefer your G27 in its native mode over its generic mode (I'd have to test this, though, because it's hard to say how the game will actually behave once you have intentionally broken its priority settings), so either you have achieved nothing, or you have created a conflict of priorities that can have unpredictable results. And let's not forget the fact you also set the FFB multiplier for these generic devices to 10, as in every single FFB effect will now be ten times stronger than before on these devices (which means it will be clipping horribly as soon as you even look at such device). So not only you have created an unpredictable device priority situation, you have also introduced a very questionable setting into the equation. Can't see how that's a good thing in the slightest.

And finally, you have changed the priority for keyboard to 200. That means you are once again effectively breaking the whole thing, because you've changed the intended (and reserved) priority setting for keyboard controls from very low (because you likely don't want to be using keyboard as a preferred device if you have any other controller or wheel connected) to a value of 200, which is double what regular wheels are using. With the rest of your setting, you are basically saying you want the game to prefer keyboard controls over anything else, except for the G27 or a generic Xinput/Dinput wheel (because you've set the priority for those *even higher*). In effect, while this specific settings combination should probably work for you (since your only connected wheel is likely the G27), it doesn't make much sense otherwise and it's a really bad practice IMO.

So, yeah, I really can't help the feeling you have no idea what you're doing here. On the other hand, *I* have no idea how the whole thing even does anything for you, because I don't think it should. But again, you've introduced a very unpredictable element into the equation, so maybe it accidentally does something, I'd need to test that, given how bizarre the whole config is.

OK, I stand corrected, I didn't notice it at first. You *did* actually change something for the G27 apart from the priority, so that might explain why it feels different to you now (with the rest of the suggested changes likely having no effect). You've changed the ffb_friction from default 1.0 to 1.5, and you changed the ffb_high_pass from default 0 to 1.0.

@Ian Cameron Just add the ffb_friction and ffb_high_pass settings to your G27 line and don't do anything else suggested, you should be getting the exact same result in regards to FFB. Everything else above that should be completely unnecessary, if not downright unwanted.

@Ian Cameron Just add the ffb_friction and ffb_high_pass settings to your G27 line and don't do anything else suggested, you should be getting the exact same result in regards to FFB. Everything else above that should be completely unnecessary, if not downright unwanted.
I am sorry to disappoint you but it is not at all as you say and as you think it, as you say I have not had the same benefits since I made my right or wrong or controversial changes as they can be defined. However the important thing is the result obtained. Most probably you should test by thread and by sign as my directions before saying if this temporary patch actually works or not.
Let's not just look at the changes made to the xml file but everything and for all the settings of my screenshots
Greetings and good rally to all

Last edited:
Let's not just look at the changes made to the xml file but everything and for all the settings of my screenshots
What more is there to see apart from your frankly confusing edits of the XML file (and you still haven't explained what are those supposed to achieve)? Your other settings consist of setting pretty much everything to default, apart from the collision force that you have lowered to 48, which is basically a meaningless adjustment when it comes to FFB while driving. Oh, yeah, and you're also using 500 degrees of rotation, another meaningless adjustment when it comes to FFB (but at the same time, you are also using soft lock, but then again your wheel isn't even calibrated...).

But by all means, I'd love to hear what the logic behind such confusing settings and XML edits is. Explaining it would actually be useful, saying "the result is the important thing, not the settings" is not.

What more is there to see apart from your frankly confusing edits of the XML file (and you still haven't explained what are those supposed to achieve)? Your other settings consist of setting pretty much everything to default, apart from the collision force that you have lowered to 48, which is basically a meaningless adjustment when it comes to FFB while driving. Oh, yeah, and you're also using 500 degrees of rotation, another meaningless adjustment when it comes to FFB (but at the same time, you are also using soft lock, but then again your wheel isn't even calibrated...).

But by all means, I'd love to hear what the logic behind such confusing settings and XML edits is. Explaining it would actually be useful, saying "the result is the important thing, not the settings" is not.

The fact is that unlike you I have shown and tested the thing so it works in my opinion and I have also helped others. I repeat that here you are not 'doing the race of those who are better or know more about it, I do not get anything in my pocket, so I will answer to people who actually tried what I did. Good night, peace and good.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 80 12.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 59 9.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 65 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 39 6.1%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 92 14.4%