FFB feeling with DD1 is so poor

Hi,

I have a Fanatec Podium DD1 since 10 days and I didn't yet find a decent set of settings for iRacing.

I have installed last driver and last version of Fanalab, I have already tried to start from scratch, use other Podium users settings (from iRacing forum) as starting point, but I cannot find a nice set of settings that can make me feel the wheels and the asphalt as in ACC or AC (where the FFB experience is outstanding).

Oversteering and understeering feeling is barely noticeable, curbs are almost muted, so I hope that I missing something in some settings (maybe in the game) because playing like that is almost like playing with my old G29!

For example these are my settings for Porsche 911 GT3 Cup:
  • ABS: 100
  • BRF: 75
  • DPR: 50
  • DRI: 0
  • FEI: 60
  • FF: 100
  • FOR: 100
  • NDP: 25
  • NFR: 0
  • SEN: 1080
  • SHO: 0
  • SPR: 0
  • MPS: 2
  • APM: 1
  • LIN: 0
  • INT: 8
  • NIN: 10

In-game settings:
Use Linear Mode: Checked
Reduce force when parked: Checked
Strength: 6.3
Wheel force: 20Nm
Damping 0%
Min Force 0.0%

Thank you

thats because iracing doesn't have good ffb for understeer or oversteer.
however - irFFB goes a long way to fix the oversteer, so you can at least feel when the car is sliding before the rear actually brakes traction - this will allow you to correct oversteer quickly.

However understeer - forget it, that's down to visuals and learning through practice, not feel.
Check out my vid on irFFB.
It will help you.

iRacing only transmit the forces you would actually feel in the steering wheel - they don't add any "effects" like most other sims do. That's why you feel that something is missing. The understeer/oversteer feedback is there, it's just more subtle and not exaggerated so you have to learn what it feels like. Not sure how to set up a DD1, but iRacing gives amazingly good feedback on an Accuforce wheel.

@Mo Selvarajah thanks for the clear explanation I will definitely give a try!

@Wayne Hutchison yeah maybe I have been pampered by other sims and with iRacing I feel something is missing while it should not be there. Anyway I think the asphalt effects should be more noticeable, I mean when I drive my car I can feel some details on my wheel, while with iRacing they feel very weak, I also discovered from another thread that maybe I was using a FEI value too low and a INT too high from my settings, so I have to try to fix them and check again the feeling.

iRacing FFB straight up sucks. It is stiff, numb and lacking detail. Saying that as someone, who palys exclusively iRacing. It is, by far, the worst FFB, compared to AC, RF2 or ACC. So, yeah, you could not find the details with any wheel, because the details aren't there.

Oh, the details are all there. Everything that you would really feel in the steering wheel of a real car. Subtle and detailed - especially with a good DD wheel. Just none of the fake add-on effects that a lot of other sims add in to their FFB.

I am not a real sport car racer myself, but I have a friend of mine that raced with some sport cars and I made him try ACC and iRacing with my rig (Fanatec Podium DD1, SimLab P1-X, BMW GT2 wheel).

He told me that even if maybe ACC FBB is a little too much rich of effects (especially on curbs, but it could be my settings are tweaked too much), he prefers it over iRacing one's.

He told me that he can recognize when ABS kicks in, like in real life, it can feel when the car is going to suffer of oversteering (in advance) and in general it feels more reliable.

In his opinion it could be that since you cannot feel the acceleration forces while you are simdriving, having such FFB compensates the missing of that feeling.
He told me that with iRacing is was more hard to trust the car and he was too conservative since he was lacking of some feelings.

BTW I am trying to get used to iRacing FFB and try to understand it in order to continue my iRacing career since I love its rating mechanism and races scheduling.

Anyway when I want to really have some fun driving GT3 cars I launch ACC and I can spend hours with it! :)

• Deleted member 963434

yo can feel accelerating force on wheel in real life, if yo in turn and accelerating wit wheel little turned yo shall feel wheel straightening more, like it want to back to center more when accelerating fast

Oh, the details are all there. Everything that you would really feel in the steering wheel of a real car. Subtle and detailed - especially with a good DD wheel. Just none of the fake add-on effects that a lot of other sims add in to their FFB.
problem is yo want to feel car in iceracing yo must set unrealistic heavy ffb, then yo good, but if yo want realistic wheel weight yo not feel anything, and in real life yo feel a lot on wheen especially when countersteering, in ice racing yo must set force so high to feel countersteer, if yo set light as in real life then yo feel no countersteer (i mean wheel not countersteers itself, and in real life wheels countersteers itselft pretty easy) and if i want to drive nascar in iceracing i must set so high force to even drive straight without sliding i dont know when, and i saw real cascar footage them wheel so light guy turn it one handed and drove one handed, and if i set force to even feel car tis force so heavy i mst hold it steady wit two hands and it shaking so much it try to flip my car if i let off it lol like driving car without suspension

iRacing only transmit the forces you would actually feel in the steering wheel - they don't add any "effects" like most other sims do. That's why you feel that something is missing. The understeer/oversteer feedback is there, it's just more subtle and not exaggerated so you have to learn what it feels like. Not sure how to set up a DD1, but iRacing gives amazingly good feedback on an Accuforce wheel.
No, plain no, iRacing is not doing stuff right. iRacing's FFB is terrible, to say the least.

Not trusting me ? Name a single car in which your steering wheel will oscillate like crazy when you are in a straight line at 150 km/h, in iRacing it is EVERY SINGLE CAR that is doing this.

iRacing's FFB is clearly not good, you have to add a TON of damping in your simucube (or anything else) to make it stay "idle" when driving in a strainght line but this prevents like 75% of feedback.

And before you state that I don't know how to set my simucube 2 up, let me tell you I'm driving in iRacing for ages and in almost every other simulation that exists, yeah even Live For Speed and ONLY iRacing have this behaviour, no matter what I try to do.

They need to fix their FFB, it is a pain right now, you can fix some problems with irFFB (which is a very good tool) but default iRacing's FFB is just a shame, no car in the world give this kind of feedback.

Not trusting me ?
No, not really....none of the cars oscillate while doing 150 kmh on my wheel nor have I read many complaining about that issue on the iRacing forms ?
Pretty sure if EVERY car on service behave like you described.... EVERYONE would be complaining about it, don't you think?

Have you brought the issue up on the iRacing form?
I'd be interested In following that thread to see how many others are experiencing your issue.

For what it's worth....name dropping some old titles or doing something for a while doesn't always equate to being an expert on the subject.
I've been racing since the early 90's and I'm still learning tons of things when it comes to setting up my gear.

Last edited:
What you're doing with iRFFB is adding in the fake effects that the other sims have. If that helps you, great, but it's not something that the vast majority of iRacing members need or want. I race a variety of cars in iRacing and the FFB detail and nuance is great in every one of them. I can always tell exactly what the car is doing - something I can't say for ACC for sure.

I wish I could learn to like iRacing's FFB...I sometimes miss the racing there. Although the graphics are lacking by today's standards. I have tried iRFFB as well and it did help a little. People will agree to disagree on FFB as always. For me, I can feel a LOT more vibrations through the steering wheel of my street car than I can from iRacing. I can feel engine vibration through the wheel in a real car...and I can feel bumps in the road WAY more that iRacing projects through the wheel. It feels way to smooth...in my opinion. I have also driven a few performance car and you can feel even more detail through the wheel...especially under load while turning.

Hilarious that someone has put forward the reasoning that the iracing ffb experience is so superior that our little minds just can't comprehend it for the brilliance that it is.

Its alright in that it gives enough info to understand some of the forces being applied to the car and aids in consistent control.Its certainly not detailed, engaging, nor does it communicate toque very well. Tends to be chunky instead.

Definite room for improvement.

No, not really....none of the cars oscillate while doing 150 kmh on my wheel nor have I read many complaining about that issue on the iRacing forms ?
Pretty sure if EVERY car on service behave like you described.... EVERYONE would be complaining about it, don't you think?

Have you brought the issue up on the iRacing form?
I'd be interested In following that thread to see how many others are experiencing your issue.

For what it's worth....name dropping some old titles or doing something for a while doesn't always equate to being an expert on the subject.
I've been racing since the early 90's and I'm still learning tons of things when it comes to setting up my gear.

Then you are luckier than I am, in my case it is absolutely not good and the wheel oscillates like crazy in almost any car, not to mention the tiniest touch on the wheel in car at 250 Km/h instantly makes it turn (like the car had no weight and no inertia I mean) is a complete no sense (and yes, it is exactly what is happening in my case, and this is not FFB related, it is game design). I don't mean "turning the wheel", I mean just a tiny touch in one direction on the wheel actually makes the car turn way too much. And no, this is not due to TOE IN, tried everything.

iRacing forum is like any simracing forum : full of fanboys that will just insult you just because you don't share their opinion. This will just explain you that you are feeling something else that what you are actually feeling or just that you are wrong at feeling, they won't try to understand what is happening. So no, I don't bring issues anymore on their forums, I was trashed like crazy some years ago when I was dealing with incredible slipping behavior, I was just "a bad driver not understanding how a car actually reacts" (lol), too bad since then they fixed their tire model and cars don't slide like crazy as they were used to...was I right after all ? I obviously know the answer but of course, nobody came to me to admit this, mind you.

I dropped LFS name just to make a point : I am simracing for a very long time and I know the differences between titles, their weaknesses and their good points. iRacing have A LOT of good points but FFB is clearly a weak one. Oh, and I also drive real sport cars, not in competition, just for fun, I FWD ones, RWD ones and even AWD ones (well, not mine but I drove them)...I know how the car should feel, of course you can't reproduce every feeling in a simulation but you can as well not be bad at something and explain users that it is what should happen like iRacing with their FFB is doing.

That being said you are right, most of the time the issue is within hardware setup, not directly the simulation that is incorrect. You are wrong when you say irFFB is adding false effect, they are not wrong strictly speaking, they can be exaggerated though but feeling the steering harden when the rear slides is normal if the front wheels don't slide and stay well connected to the track for example, you don't feel it enough in iRacing, even if you feel it much more with the new model of tires than with the old one (which was an integral disaster by the way).

In my opinion it is becoming urgent that iRacing fixes its FFB, just the 60 Hz operation is a joke and this is not its worst flaw.

iRacing gives amazingly good feedback on an Accuforce wheel.

I think the key point is in bold for this comment, iRacing and Accuforce and Sim Commander work well together because there's so much you can adjust. However iRFFB with any other wheel for iRacing could be a good option for some. But for the Accuforce using iRFFB with iRacing just doesn't make much sense.

Last edited:
What you're doing with iRFFB is adding in the fake effects that the other sims have. If that helps you, great, but it's not something that the vast majority of iRacing members need or want. I race a variety of cars in iRacing and the FFB detail and nuance is great in every one of them. I can always tell exactly what the car is doing - something I can't say for ACC for sure.
i can tell you from my track experience with an m4 competition coupe that you feel nothing through a steering wheel irl, itt's all through the body, so iracing philosophy of doing real steering wheel feeling is stupid, as you don't feel nothing irl through a wheel due to modern power steering, FFB should be a mixture of the power steering feeling mixed with a subtle feeling of what your body feels, like acc does

Last edited:
i can tell you from my track experience with an m4 competition coupe that you feel nothing through a steering wheel irl, itt's all through the body, so iracing philosophy of doing real steering wheel feeling is stupid, as you don't feel nothing irl through a wheel due to modern power steering, FFB should be a mixture of the power steering feeling mixed with a subtle feeling of what your body feels, like acc does
I can tell you from driving on racetracks with modern sports cars (porsche/ferrari/ford/bmw) with electrically assisted steering that you are incorrect. While yes, it is important to have body feel to gauge car balance, there are visual cues in iracing that help alleviate the absence. This is why a lot of professional drivers practice on the sim. It can add to mental sharpness for the real thing not having your butt data. Perhaps grip the wheel of your m4 a little lighter if you cant feel anything through the wheel.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back