AC Festive Fun #2: Surprise Event 2 races, Wed 21th December 2022

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
From my replay…..

From a Mazda car behind Rasmus, his car disappearing into the ground, soon followed his car reappearing into the middle of Mazdas, who also reappeared in a different place.
Exactly at the same time the Mazda some 50 meters up the road jumps into the back of my car, spinning me around.
So, if it was me, then that would would not happen simultaneously.
I am sure it was a server glitch. As I was by myself mostly, I also noticed an occasional glitch which did not affect me, being alone, this could account for the other problems with Jari and Co.

Greetings everyone;
Big thanks once again to Han for organizing the event. It is nice to make everyone's acquaintance here. My apologies for having to bail out of race session early and for crashing into anyone. As I mentioned to Han, my car was glitching all over the track, and I found myself stuck against the wall for most of the first two laps or ramming into people. I figured I better got off the server before causing total chaos. I don't know if it was because I am in California and my ping was a bit high, but my connection was lagging big time.

It was a hoot to drive that little Ligier while it lasted and I'm happy to have downloaded those Baku tracks--really sweet. Thanks again, and I'll try making some upgrades here (thinking to buy a new, more power PC anyway) and see if that helps.

I'll give it another try next year. Happy holidays!
Hi and welcome to the club.

What download/upload internet speed do you have and is it wired or WiFi into the PC? Wired is obviously best. I'd make sure this is reliable and fast enough before spending money on a PC.

Hi and welcome to the club.

What download/upload internet speed do you have and is it wired or WiFi into the PC? Wired is obviously best. I'd make sure this is reliable and fast enough before spending money on a PC.
I'm getting Download Speed of 59.67Mbps / Upload 5.49 Mbps. Hard wired connection, cable.

However, as i say my PC is a bit lacking in horsepower, maybe that has something to do with it. These are my specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-8100 CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
16 MB Ram
Video Card: NVidia RTX 3060 12GB

The second at around 34:20 (from memory) BOTH Jira and Kimi disappeared from the server at EXACTLY the same time despite not being anywhere near each other (you see the classic carrying on straight into the scenery).

Might be worth Han getting them checked out given this is now our new server platform.
I think that can be my modem as well (or most likely), we both drive at my home and after modem restart connection came back. There was massive lag in race 1 at my end, 2nd race was bit better untill total drop off.

I'm getting Download Speed of 59.67Mbps / Upload 5.49 Mbps. Hard wired connection, cable.

However, as i say my PC is a bit lacking in horsepower, maybe that has something to do with it. These are my specs:

16 MB Ram

Need to ask Rasmus, but from my point of view it is your processor's clock speed that is the main problem with AC, it likes the single-core speed from the processor.
I would go for a second-hand 9600k assuming your mother board allows that K processor.
Never got much of a performance hike going from 6600K threw to 10600k, it was only the 12600k that created a big performance hike ( 5.1 Ghz )
I think I was at 4.8Ghz with 6600k and 5 gHz with the 9600k and 10600k.
:)

From my replay…..

From a Mazda car behind Rasmus, his car disappearing into the ground, soon followed his car reappearing into the middle of Mazdas, who also reappeared in a different place.
Exactly at the same time the Mazda some 50 meters up the road jumps into the back of my car, spinning me around.
So, if it was me, then that would would not happen simultaneously.
I am sure it was a server glitch. As I was by myself mostly, I also noticed an occasional glitch which did not affect me, being alone, this could account for the other problems with Jari and Co.
We need another driver to check his replay then.

For me, that sounds like your connection was lagging or your physics engine had a hiccup, since on my replay and Richard's you are the only car showing weird behavior, while in your replay a car actually hits you and other cars are glitching too.

This means that your local AC client glitched other cars around due to connection/cpu load issues, calculated your car being hit and then sent your car positions back to the server.

So other drivers like me only see your car spinning without any contact. The contact happened on your PC only.

It's really a shame that AC not only has wild contact physics but also doesn't "ghost" cars that show wrong position-updates.

In other games, your PC would've ghosted every car as soon as one package didn't make sense.
And the server would've ghosted your car for everyone else.

16 MB Ram
What monitor are you racing on? Very important information when listing PC specs in general.

But for this issue, only Internet connection, cpu and AC settings matter.

Are you using Content Manager and CSP?
If yes, please go into the CSP settings and make sure that the GUI extention is activated.

Then go into replays, select the replay from last night that showed issues and then don't press play!
Instead click on "drive"!
This will load a quickrace session with AI cars and identical settings afaik.

Now just sit at the line and activate 2 additional apps:
1. Render stats from AC (fps icon iirc)
2. The CSP render stats app

We need the peak "main_t" value, (probably the highest directly after the start) and the phy_late value after 2 laps.

If you can, take a screenshot. Just put them close to each other right in the center of your screen and then press win+shift+s to activate the snipping tool without tabbing out of AC.
The current image will freeze and you'll be able to take a screenshot of both apps while the replay runs.

One screenshot when the cars start moving at the start and one after 2 laps.

We should then see exactly where the issues are :)

Nice of you to say this, but I simply forgot to brake while I was pressing push to talk, telling you all how funny the Abarths would be looking in a field of MX-5's :roflmao:

Does my car look glitched on your own replay?

Are you sure that it was a server glitch? All other cars are perfectly fine on my replay, including myself.
It's really only your car that glitched out.
So it was either your Internet (then all cars will glitch on your own replay) or it was one single mx-5 behind you that glitched out (should be visible on @HF2000 replay then).

It doesn't really matter in the end, but I'd be curious about this!
I've watched my replay and from my car it just looks as Ernie pulled the handbrake or drove over a banana. Very strange! No glitch at all. If it was a RWD it could have been caused by going to early on the throttle with a powerful engine.

I've watched my replay and from my car it just looks as Ernie pulled the handbrake or drove over a banana. Very strange! No glitch at all. If it was a RWD it could have been caused by going to early on the throttle with a powerful engine.
Thanks for checking! Then it was definitely on Ernie's end this time.
Good for us, bad for him :/

What monitor are you racing on? Very important information when listing PC specs in general.

But for this issue, only Internet connection, cpu and AC settings matter.

Are you using Content Manager and CSP?
If yes, please go into the CSP settings and make sure that the GUI extention is activated.

Then go into replays, select the replay from last night that showed issues and then don't press play!
Instead click on "drive"!
This will load a quickrace session with AI cars and identical settings afaik.

Now just sit at the line and activate 2 additional apps:
1. Render stats from AC (fps icon iirc)
2. The CSP render stats app

We need the peak "main_t" value, (probably the highest directly after the start) and the phy_late value after 2 laps.

If you can, take a screenshot. Just put them close to each other right in the center of your screen and then press win+shift+s to activate the snipping tool without tabbing out of AC.
The current image will freeze and you'll be able to take a screenshot of both apps while the replay runs.

One screenshot when the cars start moving at the start and one after 2 laps.

We should then see exactly where the issues are :)
ahhh, thank you! this is super-helpful info. i am running both CM and the CSP. monitor is pretty basic, just a single off the shelf LG QHD 32" monitor... (yes, my rig needs some upgrades!) let me try those steps you listed to get to the bottom of this... i'll be back!

Need to ask Rasmus, but from my point of view it is your processor's clock speed that is the main problem with AC, it likes the single-core speed from the processor.
I would go for a second-hand 9600k assuming your mother board allows that K processor.
Never got much of a performance hike going from 6600K threw to 10600k, it was only the 12600k that created a big performance hike ( 5.1 Ghz )
I think I was at 4.8Ghz with 6600k and 5 gHz with the 9600k and 10600k.
:)
i think you're right about the cpu being under-powered. i'm going to upgrade the pc, already made up my mind.
thanks!

Bugger.

CDC9EC63-664B-497E-B6F0-67F5C1643FA7.jpeg

I will have too look into this.

Explains the small glitches I saw,

I assume it may be my internet, unfortunately I can not do much about that. I will see if I have some background internet going on, I have become a bit cavalier to this as my system easily deals with AC.

Last edited:
I'll never dissuade someone intent on upgrading their PC, especially during holiday times with sales :p But from my other driver perspective, the way you were moving on track gave me the impression it was a connection issue. Had the trademark sort of electric slide to the right, slide to the left :roflmao:

In addition to rasmus advice, you may want to check into the windows firewall settings in general and for AC. Something along the line might be throttling it. Is your connection usually stable?

I have raced a few times online (on public servers) and did not have any issues. Everything went pretty smooth, with no significant connection issues... However, yesterday, i noticed right from the moment I entered the practice session, I got a warning at top of screen, 'WARNING: CPU AT 99% OCCUPANCY'... i suppose that sums it up, although i've never seen that notice before. Sorry for not mentioning this earlier...

As far as I know, I wasn't running any background apps, other than discord. but that was my first-time using discord, and having it open during a race... probably too much for that little ligier sized cpu i'm running...

Thanks guys for all the good input and advice. i'm gonna level up this PC and i'll be back to give you a run for your money ;-]

i'm gonna level up this PC and i'll be back to give you a run for your money ;-]
Before you jump at anything:
What kind of upgrade would you be planning?

The cpu warning doesn't mean that your CPU load is at 99%+. It means that the main cpu thread took too long for the game to work properly.
So it can mean 2 different things:
1. Your cpu doesn't have enough cores and really is at its limit

2. You have enough cores, but something is taking too much time and AC gives the warning

Your 8100 has 4 cores, no hyperthreading. So 4 cpu threads available and while AC only really needs 2 fast cores for the fps.
ith Windows, Discord and the background AC threads, 4 cores can be loaded completely though.

A 5th core already gives plenty of headroom!

So the 8100 should in theory be fast enough with optimized settings. But might cause issues!
With CPUs that have lower single core performance than the 8100, the fps go down before you run into physics issues but the 8100 will probably give enough fps to race but not have enough cores.

A used 8400 or 8600k should already be enough of an upgrade since they add 2 cores and a bit of clockspeed. And they fit into your motherboard 100% surely!

The k variants are overclockable to gain a lot of performance!
With 8th/9th/10th/11th gen Intels, you can almost always push the little i3 k or i5 k to the same clockspeeds the i7/i9 are hitting. Which is of course rarely mentioned for official benchmarks...
The only real difference is the cache size then, which sometimes makes a difference, but honestly anything above the i5 k is throwing away money if you don't use all the cores for workstation stuff.

This changed with 12th & 13th gen. There, the 12400 and soon the 13400 have by far the best price to performance ratio. They boost a single core almost as high as the k variants (which can't really be overclocked) and have plenty enough cores for simracing!

What motherboard and ram do you have exactly?

If you don't have a Z board, a used non-k will work wonders too.

If you plan a bigger upgrade: the 8xxx,9xxx,10xxx and 11xxx all have almost identical single core performance so the 12400 (ddr4!) or 5600 non-x would be the budget choice currently with the 12400 mobo being able to receive a 13600k in the future and the 5600 mobo receiving a 5800x3D.

Or if you want something really future proof, you can splash out like I did during black Friday and buy a 7600x + B650 + ddr5.
Prices are almost identical to the lowest ones during BF.

But from my other driver perspective, the way you were moving on track gave me the impression it was a connection issue. Had the trademark sort of electric slide to the right, slide to the left :roflmao:
Colin's car showed similar behavior a while back and in his case it was a cpu choke. Phy_late ran up a few thousands per lap sometimes!

And like I wrote about Ernie's glitching, AC sadly doesn't check if the positional updates from the clients make any sense and simply pushes whatever each local client sends to the server to everyone else.

If you don't know, Phy_late means that the physics calculation took longer than the tickrate or some percentage of the overall frame time. Which can cause all kinds of weird stuff.
Up to 100 per lap is usually fine, simply causing some mikro-glitching while staying on the expected path but 1000+ per lap can cause a lot of trouble :(

Last edited:
As Rasmus said, my old PC struggled on races with lots of drivers on track. I tested this theory by increasing the number of drivers in an AI race until I got the 100% CPU warning. I usually got the message around 20 drivers. I can run max drivers after I did an upgrade - based on a Rasmus spec :)

In the qualifying with Ligiers, I saw a car jumping due to ping. And in the practice I remember some kind of weird thing when I left the pit lane behind a few cars, like if there was a big wall. Maybe the mod of the track wasn't perfect at that point, if you say that in turn 1 a weird happened in the race start.

Last edited:
Before you jump at anything:
What kind of upgrade would you be planning?

The cpu warning doesn't mean that your CPU load is at 99%+. It means that the main cpu thread took too long for the game to work properly.
So it can mean 2 different things:
1. Your cpu doesn't have enough cores and really is at its limit

2. You have enough cores, but something is taking too much time and AC gives the warning

Your 8100 has 4 cores, no hyperthreading. So 4 cpu threads available and while AC only really needs 2 fast cores for the fps.
ith Windows, Discord and the background AC threads, 4 cores can be loaded completely though.

A 5th core already gives plenty of headroom!

So the 8100 should in theory be fast enough with optimized settings. But might cause issues!
With CPUs that have lower single core performance than the 8100, the fps go down before you run into physics issues but the 8100 will probably give enough fps to race but not have enough cores.

A used 8400 or 8600k should already be enough of an upgrade since they add 2 cores and a bit of clockspeed. And they fit into your motherboard 100% surely!

The k variants are overclockable to gain a lot of performance!
With 8th/9th/10th/11th gen Intels, you can almost always push the little i3 k or i5 k to the same clockspeeds the i7/i9 are hitting. Which is of course rarely mentioned for official benchmarks...
The only real difference is the cache size then, which sometimes makes a difference, but honestly anything above the i5 k is throwing away money if you don't use all the cores for workstation stuff.

This changed with 12th & 13th gen. There, the 12400 and soon the 13400 have by far the best price to performance ratio. They boost a single core almost as high as the k variants (which can't really be overclocked) and have plenty enough cores for simracing!

What motherboard and ram do you have exactly?

If you don't have a Z board, a used non-k will work wonders too.

If you plan a bigger upgrade: the 8xxx,9xxx,10xxx and 11xxx all have almost identical single core performance so the 12400 (ddr4!) or 5600 non-x would be the budget choice currently with the 12400 mobo being able to receive a 13600k in the future and the 5600 mobo receiving a 5800x3D.

Or if you want something really future proof, you can splash out like I did during black Friday and buy a 7600x + B650 + ddr5.
Prices are almost identical to the lowest ones during BF.

Colin's car showed similar behavior a while back and in his case it was a cpu choke. Phy_late ran up a few thousands per lap sometimes!

And like I wrote about Ernie's glitching, AC sadly doesn't check if the positional updates from the clients make any sense and simply pushes whatever each local client sends to the server to everyone else.

If you don't know, Phy_late means that the physics calculation took longer than the tickrate or some percentage of the overall frame time. Which can cause all kinds of weird stuff.
Up to 100 per lap is usually fine, simply causing some mikro-glitching while staying on the expected path but 1000+ per lap can cause a lot of trouble :(
ok, here are my specs:
1671830317886.png

as i say, i'm thinking to upgrade the PC anyway, since i've had it for around 5 years already and i'm feeling it's getting towards the end of its lifespan...

i'll probably take your advice and get the 7600x + B650 + ddr5.

i really appreciate your input here, and must confess your technical knowledge of PCs far exceeds my own ;-]

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back