AC Festive Fun #2: Surprise Event 2 races, Wed 21th December 2022

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
ok, here are my specs:
View attachment 625629

as i say, i'm thinking to upgrade the PC anyway, since i've had it for around 5 years already and i'm feeling it's getting towards the end of its lifespan...

i'll probably take your advice and get the 7600x + B650 + ddr5.

i really appreciate your input here, and must confess your technical knowledge of PCs far exceeds my own ;-]
My dad is a studied software engineer (and slightly autistic) so I got good knowledge and a lot of "info dumping" as inputs from early on in life (31 now).
Happy to make use of it :D

H310 isn't really a board to do a big upgrade.. You could put some cheap used 8th gen in there to solve the cpu issue but it wouldn't be future proof and wouldn't give you much higher fps.

If you have the funds for it, then the 7600x is a great choice. Getting cheaper every day now, lol.

It doesn't have the best performance right now but the B650 boards will allow some massive upgrade in the future in the form of a 8800X3D or whatever.

My advice:
Find some 5600 MHz Kingston ram. No matter the CL value and no matter the "cooler".
For some reason, micron can't achieve 5600 MHz and Kingston doesn't use Samsung so you always get SK Hynix modules, which apparently can boost beyond 6000CL30!

The cheapest Kingstons with 5600+ MHz aren't really more expensive than other 5600 sticks though.

I'd take 2x 16GB (2 Single sticks or a pack of 2 doesn't matter. Buy what's cheaper!).
There aren't many 8GB modules and the price per GB is a lot worse...

That will make you future proof :)

I've bought a Gigabyte B650 Gaming X. No one needs pci-e 5.0 apart from low end graphics card that only get a 2x or 4x bandwidth instead of the full 16x of the slot.

For reference, I paid the following prices during the black Friday sales:
7600x = 269€
2x 16GB Kingston 5600 CL36 = 84€ per Stick
GB B650 gaming x ax = 184€

My dad is a studied software engineer (and slightly autistic) so I got good knowledge and a lot of "info dumping" as inputs from early on in life (31 now).

H310 isn't really a board to do a big upgrade.. You could put some cheap used 8th gen in there to solve the cpu issue but it wouldn't be future proof and wouldn't give you much higher fps.

If you have the funds for it, then the 7600x is a great choice. Getting cheaper every day now, lol.

It doesn't have the best performance right now but the B650 boards will allow some massive upgrade in the future in the form of a 8800X3D or whatever.

My advice:
Find some 5600 MHz Kingston ram. No matter the CL value and no matter the "cooler".
For some reason, micron can't achieve 5600 MHz and Kingston doesn't use Samsung so you always get SK Hynix modules, which apparently can boost beyond 6000CL30!

The cheapest Kingstons with 5600+ MHz aren't really more expensive than other 5600 sticks though.

I'd take 2x 16GB (2 Single sticks or a pack of 2 doesn't matter. Buy what's cheaper!).

I've bought a Gigabyte B650 Gaming X. No one needs pci-e 5.0 apart from low end graphics card that only get a 2x or 4x bandwidth instead of the full 16x of the slot.

7600x = 269€
You're incredible, Rasmus!
Do you also give advice on how to deal with women?

You're incredible, Rasmus!
Do you also give advice on how to deal with women?
Didn't get much useful input about that from anyone, especially not my family :whistling:
Apart from "never fight and just don't talk about anything meaningful with anyone".
I often wonder how they went through life with decent success.. I'm still struggling with social skills.

Talking to you lot, all the different characters from all over the world is really good practice, thanks for that! :)

Sorry for making this a bit deeper than expected.
Really not looking forward to the next days with family :barefoot:

I do live together with my soon-fiancé since 8 years though, maybe I actually could give some advice :roflmao:

Didn't get much useful input about that from anyone, especially not my family :whistling:
Apart from "never fight and just don't talk about anything meaningful with anyone".
I often wonder how they went through life with decent success.. I'm still struggling with social skills.

Talking to you lot, all the different characters from all over the world is really good practice, thanks for that! :)

Sorry for making this a bit deeper than expected.
Really not looking forward to the next days with family :barefoot:

I do live together with my soon-fiancé since 8 years though, maybe I actually could give some advice :roflmao:
you've been a huge help rasmus, i have enjoyed reading and learning from your posts. what can i say, your tech skills and knowledge are at jedi master levels... man, during that first race i joined, i was stuggling just to set up 'push to talk' on discord ;-]. a lot of this stuff is new to me so i really appreciate everyone's patience.

wishing you all the best on surviving the holidays, and try to get some R&R. i know how you feel, the in-laws showed up over here for thanksgiving as they do almost every year... that was fun ;-\

cheers all!

My advice:

7600x = 269€

Hey Rasmus!
Just wanted to let you know that I completed Stage 1 of my rig update-- got a new PC.

Check it out. I took your advice and got a DDR5 capable motherboard, and 32GB of ram. Also got a RTX3060 video card, with 12GB of ram.

the only trouble here is now i can't blame the crappy lap times on my PC ;-]

Happy New Year! See you on the track.

1672510273301.png

@RasmusP can you tell me why you went for the 7600X as opposed to a 13700k?

I have been meaning to ask you ever since I saw your post just before Christmas.

And if you could throw in a reason for DDR5 instead of DDR4, although I am thinking
you have no other option with AMD 7600X

:)

@RasmusP can you tell me why you went for the 7600X as opposed to a 13700k?

I have been meaning to ask you ever since I saw your post just before Christmas.

And if you could throw in a reason for DDR5 instead of DDR4, although I am thinking
you have no other option with AMD 7600X

:)
I guess you mean 13600k?

The reasoning was mainly due to the possibility to upgrade in a few years by just updating the bios, taking off the cooler, putting the new cpu in, thermal paste and cooler back on.

The 13600k would be plenty enough for now but having a 3080 and the 10600k, I clearly experienced that I sadly see every tiny microstutter and that they all come from the cpu, not the graphics card.
To be fair most people that I asked to have a look don't notice the microstutters..

Anyway, knowing myself, I'll update the cpu in 2-3 years again and I really didn't enjoy the thought of selling mobo+ram+cpu again.

Selling just the 7600x will hopefully be less annoying and it also doesn't require to re-do all the cable management, motherboard research, cooler compatibility etc.

However I had two wishlists on the German price comparison site Geizhals.de
One with B650+DDR5 5600+ Kingston+7600x,
The other with B660+DDR4 3600 CL14+13600k.

Black Friday came and everything on the AMD wishlist was on sale.
Mobo 185€ vs 229€, ram 83€ vs 103€, CPU 269€ vs 319€.

On the Intel side, the cpu went up 10€ to 359€, mobo stayed the same at around 150€ and the ddr4 didn't really changed.

So the final decision was quite easy at this point!

About RAM:
DDR5 was a lot more expensive than ddr4 for a long time but during black Friday it came down to 20€ difference.
The Intel ddr5 mobos are pretty expensive though so not recommended.
With the 7600x, it's ddr5 only, like you said, yep :)

One thing: Kingston don't put Samsung chips into their ram sticks and as of today, there's Micron, Samsung and SK Hynix chips.
Micron can't run faster than 5200 yet and Samsung is hit and miss with the xmp profiles not always working.
They have a massive binning range from 7000 MHz down to only 5200 MHz.
SK Hynix on the other hand are pretty much all the same and although offered at all MHz and price points, all of them can run above 6000 MHz!

So as of today, Kingston at 5600 MHz or higher will 99% sure be SK Hynix.
I bought 2x single sticks of 16GB 5600 CL36.
Put in the "sweetspot" settings from igor's Lab and it ran fine :D

But with the current bios/agesa/chipset driver, you lose the Windows sleep mode when going past 5600 MHz or using custom timings or loading the xmp profile.
So my signature is a bit wrong right now. My ram only runs at 5600 CL36, then xmp disabled and manually set to 5600.

When I thought "man.. Intel never had such weird issues", my news feed hit me with some "new Windows update causing bsod on Intel 13th gen" with the comments being full of "unstable ram profiles and now this..." :roflmao:

Anyway, I don't have any microstutters in AC or ACC, my case, gpu and cpu fans all run only at 30% and nothing gets hotter than 70°C.
FPS are limited to 90 and I'm having a blast.
The cpu upgrade from the 10600k was definitely worth it!
Sold mobo+cpu+16GB 3200CL16 for 265€ and paid 620€.
Minus the additional 16GB (83€), the cpu upgrade cost me 272€!

Sleep mode on Windows 11 with 32GB of ram and a quick nvme ssd is pretty fun!
It's some faster hibernation so 0W and I can even take off the power cable from the PSU without issues.
Takes 4s for the click from the PSU and 5s to be back running.

I have Lightroom, Fusion 360, 3D printer slicer, chrome, Edge, onenote, outlook, excel, content manager etc. all open since weeks and it all still runs fine :D

I have been on a spree of sim racing gear, only to find that all I really need is a simple wheel, no button box, no dashboard and no screen on my wheel.
So I sold the lot, and am very happy with my simple setup, with only a change if something breaks.
You may be wondering what all that means, I really enjoyed building my PC, so I have been thinking of just going down the AMD route.
I have a lot of PC build stuff left over, so I was thinking about which route to follow with sim racing in mind. Yes, I know it is pretty much a pointless quest.
That was the ask really, I think as AMD has so much on board Cashe that it may be better than an intel CPU, especially as the core frequency is a match to intel.
And as I am annoyed at Nvidia I was also going for an AMD graphics card.
I should probably wait till 2024 for the next-gen AMD CPU, but that is an unknown.
Have you a point of view on this, apart from, don't do it.:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

I managed some of the team that work on Fusion 360. Hope you enjoyed it. Left a few years ago.
Wow, hope you enjoyed your job with it!
It's a bit "quirky" but very unique. It's a bit like "CAD thought differently", which can sometimes be a bit frustrating when you can't just do what you used to do in Catia or NSX but when you can make use of the uniqueness, it's soooo much better than the standard programs!
It's definitely way more modern and nicer for basic stuff!

@Kek700 sounds like you're enjoying a good adventure there haha :)
I can't really recommend anything. Right now the gpu market is complete garbage and the CPU market is the best since a decade, lol.
You can't buy GPUs at all while you can't decide between all the nice CPUs.

One thing I forgot to mention:
The 13600k has better performance right now for simracing and in general!
But my thoughts were that the 7600x would be plenty enough right now and will make upgrading very easy when both, the 13600k and 7600x wouldn't be sufficient anymore.

With the 3D cache version from AMD not being that ram sensitive (hopefully it's a pattern to continue for the AM5 models), I can always buy a 7800X3D or 8800X3D while not feeling the need for a new mobo and new ddr5 within the next 3-6 years :)

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back