Ferrari unveils the 488GTB

1-ferrari-anteriore-1280x0_2SCHR7.jpg

The legendary Italian sportscar manufacturer, Ferrari, has announced the latest mid engine supercar from Maranello - the 488GTB. The 488GTB will aim to replace the 458 Italia, utilizing similar styling with the addition of twin turbos to the V8.

Ferrari says the new berlinetta "brilliantly encapsulates Ferrari’s experience in both F1 and the WEC," as well as the know how gained by the XX programme. Ferrari claims this experience, and know how allows the electronic and vehicle control systems to make this very track-capable supercar one which can be handled by "non-professional" drivers during everyday use.

4-ferrari-vista-alto-psoteriore-1280x0_XMQSB2.jpg

Ferrari also says, "Its response times, nimbleness and on-the-limit driving guarantee a unique sense of exhilaration and unparalleled driving pleasure." Looking at the numbers, its easy to believe this statement. With an output of around 660HP and 560 ft/lbs of torque, the 488 was able to complete a lap of Ferrari's test track, Fiorano, in just 1 minute and 23 seconds, a full two seconds faster than the 458.

6-ferrari-vista-posteriore-1280x0_VTADRD.jpg

In terms of aerodynamics the 488 boasts a 1.67 efficiency figure, the best of any production Ferrari to date, which is the result of 50% more downforce and less drag from the 458. The 488 also includes active aero and a blown spoiler in the rear.

With a dry weight of just 1370kg, the 488 is capable of 0-100 km/h in just 3.0 seconds, 0-200 km/h in 8.3 seconds, and on to a top speed of greater than 330 km/h

8-ferrari-interni-1280x0_E7CPLH.jpg

The 458 has been known as one of the greatest and most popular supercars ever created, and it certainly appears the 488GTB is an improvement on that already astonishing platform. After winning its class in the last two editions of the 24 Hours of LeMans, the 458 has shown to be a true performer, I for one, can not wait to see what the 488 will bring.

Check out the video

Source: Ferrari.com

Wow, great car, but it won't be easy to replace the 458 Italia, which was spectacular in itself. :thumbsup:

It looks sleek from the corner views, and the seating inside and the Drive from within the Interior feels and looks superb!

(Doing my own review it seems ;))

Meh...front is good, but it looks like someone got a little too clever with those rear vents on the side. Plus, those new door depressions look...ugh, it is really hard to like some of the lines on this car. Good news though for the 458, shows that perfection is very hard to top :notworthy:

Twin turbos eh? 8k rpm eh? Well Ferrari knows better than a random guy at a forum that wants to see the needle go OVER 9000 rpm :D
Apart from that, I m speechless. It's a piece of art! It's like the 458 after some months of training at the gym. Kudos to Ferrari.

Twin turbos eh? 8k rpm eh? Well Ferrari knows better than a random guy at a forum that wants to see the needle go OVER 9000 rpm :D
Apart from that, I m speechless. It's a piece of art! It's like the 458 after some months of training at the gym. Kudos to Ferrari.
Now it's about how fast you will get to that 8000 RPM :p

Big HP increase and less does justify the faster numbers. The 458 was too perfect to make it a huge performance drop compared to its successor. That feels like a upgraded 458 speciale.

• Deleted member 161052

Looks similar to the 458 Italia.

twin turbos and only +90bhp over the original 458? Is it just me or should there logically be more than 90bhp extra?
The displacement has also dropped from 4.5L to 3.9L. Even then it still is a bit light. I'd be willing to bet that that engine is running very relaxed and well within its limits.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 98 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 176 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 352 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 491 39.2%