Ferrari Snap Up Wehrlein For Simulator Role

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Wehrlein Ferrari Development Role.jpg

In more Ferrari news, former Manor and Sauber Formula One driver Pascal Wehrlein has reportedly secured a role as simulation driver with the Italian outfit.

Having lost backing of the AMG Mercedes team at the end of last season, and with it his final chance to stay on the 2019 Formula One grid, newly signed Mahindra Formula E driver Pascal Wehrlein has secured the role of simulation driver for the Ferrari Formula One team - replacing previous simulation drivers Daniil Kvyat and Antonio Giovinazzi, who have secured race seats with the Toro Rosso and Sauber Grand Prix squads respectively.

With Formula One teams ever increasing reliance on off track simulation development in recent years, the role at Ferrari has been deemed the most appropriate way for the 24-year-old German to remain relevant to Formula One outfits for the 2020 season. Alongside his new role, the former DTM champion will contest a full season in the FIA Formula E category - teaming up another highly rated ex-Grand Prix driver, Jérôme D’Ambrosio, at the Mahindra Formula E team.

Wehrlein competed in 39 Grand Prix for Manor and Sauber, with a best finish of eighth place at the 2017 Spanish Grand Prix.

For more from the world of Formula One, head over to the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum and join in with fellow fans of the top level of open wheel motorsport.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Makes sense, Giovinazzi and Kvyat are no longer around for testing and Wehrlein surely needs a way back into F1. He's never been my favorite driver but credit where credits due, wrangling points out of a Manor drive took talent.

Wow, what a huge "get" for them...is what I would say if this at all mattered! :p

Just messin' around - I really appreciate the F1 coverage RD does; it's my #1 source (seriously). This particular story just doesn't get my blood pumping, that's all. ;)

For some reason I think, some alienskilled simracers would be cheaper and just as good for that job as Wehrlein - among other simulation testers in F1.
Mclaren did try that...
I don't know how productive(it was half marketing surely) it has been, but i would surely give the job to a real F1 driver over a simracer.

The simulator job is to work on setups that Vettel and Leclerc are gonna use, not to optimize the setup (or FFB) for you to get faster, that's why i would take a real driver, they have direct knowledge on sim vs real life translate and they are used to drive despite imperfect setups, instead of working for days (weeks) on supreme fine tuning.

Anyway, Ferrari needed an experienced guy for this job and they got the guy who was doing it for Mercedes last year, that's a plus.

Last edited:
Oh, I thought this was one of those caption pics.
Wehrlein: Dude, you got me in the car, but where's the money?
Assistant guy: Haha. We got you for free loser!

Wonder if he had "No VR No Deal" on his CV

No VR is the least of his worries.

Apparently the Simulator only includes two cars and they are identical apart from the race numbers. I mean come on even gRally launched with 2 different cars! Rumour has it he didn’t read the contract small print and while the Sim includes ‘up to 21 tracks’ only one track is included, the rest are DLC and he has to pay for them himself.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 143 13.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 105 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 96 9.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 74 7.1%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 144 13.8%