Ferrari Boss Marchionne Passes Away Age 66

Oh, they read worse already.
So because he was doing his job the italians should forgive his faults and failures?
Let me recap, he took a company that was in bankrupt and managed to pay its debts. What's wrong then?
Well the company was one of the main industry of Italy, has been always in financial difficulties (because the managers behind it weren't clearly the best), but managed to survive anyway for decades thanks to the italian money and the interest of the italian politics. They received help for billions from the State, in several ways.
When Gianni Agnelli died, the family behind the company lost the main contact with the government and the ruling class of the country, and the things started to go very wrong for the car division. There the family started to think "you know what, let's move away, otherwise we'd have to invest billions of our money to resurrect Lancia and the other brands". That's when Marchionne came in. The italian government then convened the management of the group to know what was the industrial plan for the italian brands and activities, in order to be reassured that the company wasn't trying to delocalize the production in other countries. And the company lied, because the government, by law, had the power to expropriate the brands for which there wasn't a plan.
The only positive thing I see in this all story is the fusion with Chrysler, that in theory has the potential to allow the group to become a real big dog in markets where it was absent (USA and Canada) and enter the off-road market with Jeep. This also allowed the group to sell his military vehicles to the US army. But the italian brands are basically dead. Except Ferrari of course, because that is the chicken that makes gold eggs, like we say in Italy. So needs to be feeded.
As harsh as they sound, my words express the feelings of the majority of the italians.
In a country where we have the best talents of industrial design and mechanical engineering, the Fiat group could have resurrected Alfa and Lancia long time ago, almost for free, simply asking the universities to do the design and research work for them, with the promise of a job for the authors of the best projects and with the promise of money for the schools. This would have costed them way less money in terms of investments. See, this is just an idea, by Mr. nobody. FIAT gave up also in ideas.
Sounds like he could have done a better job. Still... reviling in someones death says a lot about a person. Your original comment was edited for being discusting, so coming over taking moral high ground is hypocrisy, we have seen what happens when people with a complete disregard for life have any sort of power.

I am italian and I have appreciated most of the decisions made by Mr. Marchionne.

Some of them had been absolutely unavoidable.

In the last 20 years, 90% of cars manufacturers all over the world - not just FCA Group - have de-localised their production abroad, mostly for entry level or mass-market models.
It's all about today's market situation. And about the laws in some countries (included Italy aswell!).

Most of FIAT employees and recently Chrysler's ones, still have their job.
I would also point out that a good 50% of the cuts in workforce have been an attempt to cancel unefficiencies, in a company (and in a Country) where the culture of 'permanent job' has generated laxness over the years.
14 years ago, FIAT had debts for millions, industrial processes were in agony and many managers were still in charge despite being responsible for the failures of the 90s. Dinosaurs, we call them.

In June 2018, for the very first time in almost two decades, the company reported profits.

And let me just finish by mentioning the very unpopular decision taken by Marchionne as President of Ferrari SpA, like geting rid of some highly rated foreign technicians in the F1 Ferrari team to let more freedom to Italian professionals and empowering a so-called horizontal structure as opposed to a classic pyramidal one... everybody was sceptical back three years ago, given the supposedly zero-level experience of the man in the motorsport business.
Well, despite Ferrari haven't won the title yet, progresses are clearly under everybody's nose.

So, anyone is entitled to his/her opinion, of course. And i respect them.
My humble view is that Sergio Marchionne accomplished many of the tasks he was hired for, and that he will be judged by history as one of the most positive managers of the FIAT/FCA history.

RIP Mr. Marchionne.

I really hope that Seb Vettel will have the honor to dedicate a world title to you in November.

Lol. You reported my comment, don't ya? Ahaha.

oh yeah, we've seen this even in recent years, we have good examples in the way many industries and companies treated their workers, with a complete disregard for life.
I see managers who get paid millions each month firing hundreds or thousands of workers in a blink, saying that it's inevitable because the company don't have the money to keep them and make investments. But I never saw one of these workers crying when one of these managers died though. I'm still wondering why. :rolleyes:

You know, you don't have to speak well of a person just because he suddenly died. If he did wrong in his life, then it's ok to speak bad of him when he's dead. Would be hypocrite doing the contrary. And Marchionne did also wrong, big time.
You hope he's in paradise, it's ok. I don't, at all. Deal with that and respect my opinion like I do with yours.
LOL don't have to speak well of him. You reviled in his death. Your a disgrace. As if i would have said anything if you were like... I didnt think much of the dude tbh..just hiding behind the fact that post has gone because it was deemed out of order. Also i didnt report you so someone else thinks you were vile. :thumbsup:

"Marchionne found the company already in bankrupt, so wasn't his fault, but he certainly didn't favor the country with his decisions."

He didn't have any alternative, given our taxation system.

For me, saving a company... ooops, two companies! is a great achievement.
If they went full bankruptcy, more than 230.000 people would be home updating their CV right now.

Your assumptions seems a little too easy and simplistic.
You can't save companies without any kind of sacrifice.
You can't have your cake and eat it too. That's not how economy works.

Your idea about involving universities is very good, btw, but... it's very unlikely to happen in our nation, I am afraid. Not on such a huge scale.

Please, also read this: http://www.ilsole24ore.com/art/moto...rtanti-marca-marca-131352.shtml?uuid=AEZ20cNF

I won't reply anymore. I made my self clear enough and i don't wanna debate further, since our positions on the subject are antiopodal and we risk to transform this thread in something quite unpleasant.

Best regards.

I am italian and I have appreciated most of the decisions made by Mr. Marchionne.

Some of them had been absolutely unavoidable.

In the last 20 years, 90% of cars manufacturers all over the world - not just FCA Group - have de-localised their production abroad, mostly for entry level or mass-market models.
It's all about today's market situation. And about the laws in some countries (included Italy aswell!).

Most of FIAT employees and recently Chrysler's ones, still have their job.
I would also point out that a good 50% of the cuts in workforce have been an attempt to cancel unefficiencies, in a company (and in a Country) where the culture of 'permanent job' has generated laxness over the years.
14 years ago, FIAT had debts for millions, industrial processes were in agony and many managers were still in charge despite being responsible for the failures of the 90s. Dinosaurs, we call them.

In June 2018, for the very first time in almost two decades, the company reported profits.

And let me just finish by mentioning the very unpopular decision taken by Marchionne as President of Ferrari SpA, like geting rid of some highly rated foreign technicians in the F1 Ferrari team to let more freedom to Italian professionals and empowering a so-called horizontal structure as opposed to a classic pyramidal one... everybody was sceptical back three years ago, given the supposedly zero-level experience of the man in the motorsport business.
Well, despite Ferrari haven't won the title yet, progresses are clearly under everybody's nose.

So, anyone is entitled to his/her opinion, of course. And i respect them.
My humble view is that Sergio Marchionne accomplished many of the tasks he was hired for, and that he will be judged by history as one of the most positive managers of the FIAT/FCA history.

RIP Mr. Marchionne.

I really hope that Seb Vettel will have the honor to dedicate a world title to you in November.
Mod Edit: no personal insults.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we can safely say that both sides of the divide have had their say so let's bring the political debate to a halt.
No way, since these are intermingled.
You can’t have a discussion without politics involved, debating manufacturing of cars...
Look at my favorite, Henry Ford. A fascist to the bone...

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 371 16.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 255 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 303 13.1%