Ferrari 488 GTE and GT3 Unveiled

Chris

Premium
The Scuderia Ferrari GT Program has been typical of Ferrari: Highly successful. That competitiveness and success looks set to continue with the all new Ferrari 488 being adapted to both FIA WEC (GTE/GTLM) and GT3 specifications.

The new additions to Ferrari's fleet have taken to the Mugello circuit in Italy for a media presentation and as part of the Ferrari World Finals (Finali Mondiali). The GT3 and GTE cars will make their debuts in the 2016 seasons of their respective competitions, however it is rumoured that the GT3 variant will be ineligible to compete in the 2016 LiquiMoly Bathurst 12 Hour. The car itself will serve as a replacement for the 458 GT variation; a car that has enjoyed a huge period of success, particularly in the FIA World Endurance Championship.

488-GT3-1-e1446974051392.jpg

Ferrari 488 GT3

Whilst the 458 and 488 look markedly similar, the key difference with the 488 compared to its predecessor is the lack of a normally aspirated engine, rather the 488 will be powered by a 3.9 litre, turbocharged V8 engine. Similarly to the way the 458 versions differed, the GTE will produce less power than the GT3, however it will have a more efficient and effective aerodynamic package.

Last edited:
The 2016 Ford GT GTE is ugly.
The New Bmw M6 GTE is ugly.
And the new Bentley isn't the most beautiful car either.

But Ferrari made my day :)

I like it... I like it alot.....

Vroooooom

Why is it ineligible for the bathurst 12h?
I would assume that it might not be homologated at that point in time. For example the Lexus RC F GT3 and Mercedes AMG GT3 were both not homologated in the middle of this year, but both entered some of the VLN series races in the experimental class, which allows you to run not homologated cars. Based on the bathurst 12h homepage they use the BoP from the Blancpain Series as the car has never raced so far it won't have a BoP as the race is well before the first Blancpain race in 2016. Bathurst 12h seems to have their own list of what cars they allow.
http://www.bathurst12hour.com.au/si...6-List-of-eligible-automobiles-as-11-9-15.pdf

So I guess a combination of missing BoP and maybe a not finished homologation process.

What a stunning race car, even better we may have some 458's and 488's on track at the same time next year as well :inlove:

GT3 is so strong at the moment and that's good to see but I have one hope that the costs don't get too much higher than they are now. I remember the mighty GT1's and I miss them greatly but they were ridiculously expensive to run, I can see a car cost cap sooner rather than later.

Looking forward to Blancpain Endurance Series next year though, the field at Monza is gonna be huge.:D

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 345 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 237 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 235 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 176 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 296 13.3%