PC2 Ferrari 488 Challenge Heads List Project Cars 2 Update Notes

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project Cars 2 Update 5 - 1.jpg

Project CARS 2 has been updated on PC, now includes the new Ferrari 488 Challenge race car and selected liveries.

Deployed to PC today with console versions expected to launch "imminently", the fifth patch for Project CARS 2 is here and comes with a nice selection of fixes and improvements to the racing title, headlined by the brand new Ferrari 488 Challenge car that comes to the simulation at no additional cost.

Alongside the headline grabbing new Ferrari, other highlights from patch 5 include two new layouts to the Leipzig circuit, various AI improvements under multiple weather conditions and an annoying issue that causes drivers to be stuck on track during various official sessions.

Update 5 Change Notes:
  • Addition of the Ferrari 488 Challenge car, and liveries from the 2017 Ferrari Challenge series. This is the latest Ferrari to feature in Maranello’s single-marque championship, and the most powerful car in the series’ 25-year history.  
  • Addition of two new layouts to the Porsche Leipzig on-road circuit.
  • Corrected a small number of turbo and suspension issues on various cars.
  • Resolved an issue where some drivers would appear stuck on track during qualification or race session.
  • Resolved an issue where the end of race results would display incorrectly.
  • Resolved multiple ghost loading issues in time trial.
  • Polished the Online Reputation calculations, including tweaks for when players retire due to excess damage.
  • Corrected an occasional issue of players being taken to the wrong lobby if the host set up a new lobby whilst the old one was populated.
  • Mechanical failures no longer include aerodynamic damage.
  • Various improvements to the AI at a number of tracks and conditions.
  • Solved an issue in career when, under certain circumstances, the standings would not display correctly.
  • Multiple other miscellaneous fixes and optimisations.

Project CARS 2 is available now on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

Project Cars 2 Update 5 - 2.jpg
Project Cars 2 Update 5 - 3.jpg

Check out the Project CARS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for more news, discussion and features on this sequel release to the hugely popular Project CARS franchise of games.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Like the new update? Enjoying the new 488 Challenge? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
The 488's look cool but I don't like their performance. It seems so unrealistic to me. Constantly getting rammed off track by the AI also. I mentioned it on the PCars forum but was basically told I had to prove it. Oh well. Back to the Porsche's. They drive just fine. I would have been real upset if I had paid for these challenge cars.

A shame AC never got the 488 Challenge. Not a big fan of PCars 2 but this is certainly one thing they've done right, handing out fine content like this for free is a really nice thing to do.

But in a nutshell I can say what I prefer about PC1+2. They make me feel like a race car driver, the little details immerse me so much more than the other sims. The others (while being excellent sims) just make me feel like I'm playing a sim game. They have no atmosphere and are pretty much sterile in comparison (my opinions only). But I still love the others for what they do well.
Exactly my thoughts. :thumbsup:
You just better produce it on paper. It must be the fact cause english isn't my first language.
Hell, it wasn't even my second. :D
Steps so big Mario could play on 'em
:roflmao:

I mentioned it on the PCars forum but was basically told I had to prove it. Oh well.

I started reading your thread there, which is now locked. I stopped reading after several pages when you didn't give any details or really respond to any of the advice given without arguing.

Simple details is all it takes.....track and # of AI

How ever you did come to the right form if your looking for a few likes and want to complain about pc2! :)

Last edited:
Damn the Ferraris still sound like nitro RC car in replay. I really love watching replays so, believable track side engine sounds are important for me.
Love everything else about PC2, unfortunately for me, bad track side/replay engine sounds really put me off. I hope this is a solvable problem, not game engine limitation.

I started reading your thread there, which is now locked. I stopped reading after several pages when you didn't give any details or really respond to any of the advice given without arguing.

Simple details is all it takes.....track and # of AI

How ever you did come to the right form if your looking for a few likes and want to complain about pc2! :)
Oh perfect. Thanks

This, a hundred times. This is why I can't get into the game. The first setting that looks reasonable on 1080p is High SS. But it kills frames so much. AC, R3E, AMS run smooth and without jaggies at 8xAA with full grids. Because of the AA PC2 can't beat them even graphically in the same conditions. (On a GTX 1060 6GB BTW.)
If anybody has any tips, tweaks, etc. I am all ears (or eyes in this case).

I run at 4K and a comfortable 100+FPS.
But I have spent quite a lot of $$$$$$ to get this performance, not just for 'gaming' I hasten to add.
Upgrade your system is my only advice.

Once I finish university and actually have money, I will :) To be clear at 4K one doesn't really need AA at all, right?

Well, I don't bother with AA but I do run Texture Filtering Anisotropic at 16X and MSAA at High, with Render Frames Ahead set at 4 and VSYNC set to 120Hz.
But you do need to (eventually) build a heavy duty rig!
Just FTR, attached are my present specs, which I am upgrading (as always) once I figure out the next generation of chips, and my partner finishes 'shopping' for her newest car.:roflmao:

Corsair Obsidian 900D Full Tower. MSI X99A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM. Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 5960X Haswell-E LGA2011-3 8 Core @ 4.8GHz. Thermaltake Water 3 Riing RGB Cooler Premium Edition 6 x Riing 12 fans. Galax GeForce GTX 1080 HOF 8GB x2 SLI.
Corsair Dominator Platinum 32G 2800MHz DDR4 Kit. LG BH16NS40 BluRay Reader/Writer. Corsair CMPSU-HX1000i FM 1000Watt x2.
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD x 3. Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD x1.
Western Digital WD Gold 4TB Datacenter HDD.
Acer Predator X34P 34inch IPS LED Curved Gaming Monitor 3440x1440 120Hz

Sounds a lot like an issue on your end....cause if it was widespread the forms would be littered with reports of the same issues.

The usual suspect is anti virus,,,,,seen several issues with kapersky and other software.
do an integrity check in steam
make sure all your drivers are up to date

Well, I don't bother with AA but I do run Texture Filtering Anisotropic at 16X and MSAA at High, with Render Frames Ahead set at 4 and VSYNC set to 120Hz.
But you do need to (eventually) build a heavy duty rig!
Just FTR, attached are my present specs, which I am upgrading (as always) once I figure out the next generation of chips, and my partner finishes 'shopping' for her newest car.:roflmao:

Corsair Obsidian 900D Full Tower. MSI X99A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM. Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 5960X Haswell-E LGA2011-3 8 Core @ 4.8GHz. Thermaltake Water 3 Riing RGB Cooler Premium Edition 6 x Riing 12 fans. Galax GeForce GTX 1080 HOF 8GB x2 SLI.
Corsair Dominator Platinum 32G 2800MHz DDR4 Kit. LG BH16NS40 BluRay Reader/Writer. Corsair CMPSU-HX1000i FM 1000Watt x2.
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD x 3. Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD x1.
Western Digital WD Gold 4TB Datacenter HDD.
Acer Predator X34P 34inch IPS LED Curved Gaming Monitor 3440x1440 120Hz
"I don't bother with AA" but sets MSAA to High !
ROFLMAO
I used to play @4k also but with 55" 4k TV and AA is definitely required at this size screen .
Actually has the same PPI as a 27" 1080p monitor. So if youd use AA on that 27" screen ,why not @4k ?
There is still massive shimmer and jaggies @4k but now I have similar AA issues playing in VR .

I did another run after my post and this time was ok, but with this game it's really a lottery: sometime works flawlessly, and sometimes shows some bug, even if in the computer nothing is changed.
I think the series is cursed. They should change the name for the next one, to see if it helps. :D
I did a clean install of the game today and I found some problems already. Playing in time trial many times I had to exit from the race and restart it because the car didn't have sound, several times the game froze.
I've uninstalled the game months ago waiting for patches to make it more stable, but it seems that there is always something wrong underneath.
I'll keep trying, but considering that I've spent almost two days downloading this hyppo (37GB) I'm definitely disappointed. It's better that it fixes itself somehow, otherwise will be uninstalled forever.

Try to squeeze in a bit more hyperbole next next eh?!

Look I played it for several hours over the weekend NO problems whatsoever, sooooooo nothing wrong with the game on my system. As Kurupt CDN says there's clearly something not right with your end, because if it's the game itself EVERYONE would be having these issues. And the bottom line is everyone is not.

And please for the love of god no-one take my post as to be meaning I think the game is perfect, It is not and I know it, but it is a bloody good game.

I have the game since the beta and my computer is perfect. There is no antivirus or firewall interfering, just a perfect, clean, fast windows 10 64 bit LTSB edition installed on fast hardware.
If I start a time trial session and the car has no sound and this comes back if I restart the session, it's the game, not a problem on my end. The fact that this can happen every once in a while and not every time I run the game doesn't mean that it's not the game. Same goes for the fact that the internet hasn't been filled with the same specific complains.
If I learned something since the time of the WMD1 is that both the games can show bugs of some kind randomly. And by the way, I was playing time trial, not practice, not free race, not online. How many players after the patch took the Radical RX Turbo, the SR3 and the Oreca for a spin in the Greenwood karting circuit? I bet just me. :whistling:

Then the answer is to not post vague "game is cursed" posts if it's something that you are specifically doing (weird combos) that no-one else is doing, post the exact circumstances and let others test and see if they can replicate it.

So I'll take the RX turbo, the SR3 and the Oreca around the Greenwood Karting track in Time trial mode over the course of several days and will see what happens. Although my spec is completely different to yours( middleing speed PC and win 7).

I used to work in hardware repairs and THE worst problems were the intermittent ones that were hard to replicate. I can easily imagine that in the coding world intermittent issues are even harder to track down.

And don't say "it's not up to the gamers to test", because there are SO many different hardware and software setups that it is impossible for any Q&A team to test them all....completely and unequivocally impossible. We all need to help each other and the devs get to the bottom of issues. Everyone (apart from the haters) benefit from that! :)

And what do you think I've done with the game after the problems? I restarted the game and took the same combos to see if the problem was still there, and was gone.
This was common also during the development, we weren't always able to replicate a problem. No doubt it's tricky for the developers to prevent and fix everything.
If it happen randomly and I can fix it restarting the game it's ok for me, because I play only time trial, so it doesn't mess a race or an online session. If instead it happens every time I launch the game then would be definitely a nightmare.

If you're happy with restarting why say if it's not fixed you'll be uninstalling it forever in your earlier post?

I did a clean install of the game today and I found some problems already. Playing in time trial many times I had to exit from the race and restart it because the car didn't have sound, several times the game froze.
I've uninstalled the game months ago waiting for patches to make it more stable, but it seems that there is always something wrong underneath.
I'll keep trying, but considering that I've spent almost two days downloading this hyppo (37GB) I'm definitely disappointed. It's better that it fixes itself somehow, otherwise will be uninstalled forever.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 355 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 249 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.3%