FERRARI 458 GT2 @ SPA-FRANCORCHAMPS - how can i get better?

Here is one of the best laps I ever done on SPA with the Ferrari 458 GT2:

I know there is room for better, i have seen some doing 2:17 ... And here comes my question: is anyone able to correct me? I am playing for over 2-3 weeks now the same track / car and cannot seem to manage any better.

Some of the car setup is from a forum, i will attach some screenshots with it.

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

07.png

08.png

09.png

What could be done better? Car's setup? My driving?

I saw some guys playing online they are breaking much later but if i begin to break where they break, my car jumps out of the track!

Any help is apreciated!

Thanx!

From the setupside it looks as you're using quite the same settings as I did last night on Spa.
Other that you, I've set the brakepressure a bit lower, 92% iirc. This will make it easier to not lock up the tires - you've already had a flatspot on the lap you show (see the flickering front right tire). The car understears the corner as a result of locking up, that costs much time.

Maybe you shoulf shift a bit later, have a look at the sidekick app you're using, the top bar in that app goes yellow when it's suggests shifting and goes red if the power goes down. You should shift just before the bar goes from yellow to red, which would be quite a few rpms later than now.

I go down to first gear in the chicane & la source & I've been using Softs and not the supersofts.

It was a low 2.18 in the end.

as falke said u can shift later, the high-rpm-sound will push you and you'll get better laps :) im not that good to do a 2:18 if everything goes well i hit the 2:20 but as i could see from your vid and the settings you do have much more highspeed then i do (10-15 kmh on the straights). Me feel much better with more downforce from the wings. Did you try the bmw?

[... the high-rpm-sound will push you and you'll get better laps :) ...]

Hehe, the sound in this car is addictive isn't it ;)

But I mean it, I think you miss boost by shifting that early. I know the shiftlights in the car suggest you should shift when you actually shift right now and I don't know if it's the same in the real car, but there's still torque left that moment in Assetto.

One more idea maybe: You shift up to 5th gear after Malmedy heading to Rivage, I always let the 4th gear scream loud there and don't use the 5th. Shifting up to 5th and the following shift-down to 2nd for Rivage takes me more time than keeping it in 4th + shift-down to 2nd.

Hmm i may disappoint you a little bit but i use automatic gearbox. I use to override the down shift with the manual paddle for a little engine brake and to have high rpm when exiting the corner, but the up-shifts are done automatically by the game. I never thought that automatic up-shifting is no good.

About the softs, i almost cannot get them hot enough... they are always blue! With softs i can do 2:25-2:26 at my best. The video i done is with supersofts witch i can heat up.

I just printed a map of the circuit and will try manual gearbox with what you just told me. :)

First the car setup: SS tyres can't manage an entire lap at Spa, use the S. Tyre pressure is too low: recommended psi are 35 during the run, 25psi from the pitlane should be ok, but it depends massively from the track temp. A setup with more wings (2 front 5 rear) and more camber (-2.8 front -2.3 rear) helps a lot here.
Then with less aggression and more driving precision you can easly be into the 2:23 every lap.
Try to carry that Ferrari throught the corners as gentle as you can, without going on the curbs.
The fastest lap comes when you don't expect it :cool:

Last edited:
Morning guys,

I did not recognize you use autoshift. When I owned a DrivingForceGT wheel back in the days I've done that too cause of the "paddles" (very big " here) that come with it. But I missed a lot there, the driving/braking is very differend and for sure slower.
So I'd also suggest to get used to manual shifting, it's a bit tricky first but you will get used to it fast and will get a better lap with the use of late- or shortshifting in corners.

The optimum tire pressures changed with an update late last year, so the current optimum tpressure is 26psi, not 35 anymore as suggested above. I had a look, and I've set 18psi all arround in my setup.
Kepping the tires @ optimum pressure is better than using a non optimum pressure to get better tire temperatures.

Last point: You did not mention what TC value you're using: Got mine on 6. A lower value there will give you more TC which may make you more safe on the track but again you'll miss power. Go as high as you can with that value.

The rest is the line. Happy drving!

Cheers falkeGT

ps. I uploaded my 2.18 setup, try if you like, feedback is welcome.

Attachments

• V10Quali3R.ini
    1.8 KB · Views: 395
LazyBug: The setup is from here: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/ferrari-458-gt2-spa-francorchamps.94494/page-8
Why is the setup "dead"? I can't seem to understand.

Giovaneveterano: The second response from this forum is falkeGT witch uses the same setup and on softs he gets 2:18. So I guess it's me that's wrong. Maybe the setup is also not perfect... I will try your opinions about tire pressure camber and wings. But when you say "without going on the curbs" what do you really mean? Others are telling me to use the "whole track" so stepping on the curbs seems legit.
I saw online one of the best on this track / car and he was braking a lot later than me. I don't know how, because i'm out of the track at that point of braking...

I did a 2:23.4 after playing 2 hours with full manual gearbox so hopefully that helps too. Need more practice! I will be satisfied when i'll be able to do 2:21-22 every lap and have a personal best of about 2:20...

FalkeGT, I never read that window explaining traction control so i put it on 1, guessing that the traction control will be less in game's hands and more in mine. I am reading now that 1 is "greater intervention of control" so you are right, i will try 6!

But what about practice mode? There is no "electronics" tab to set the traction control. Only before hitting start button, there is a "summary" where i put traction control "off" abs "off" stability control "off" and so on.

I compared our setups, they are exactly the same. :) I would be very happy if you could record and YouTube one 2:18-2:20 lap with braking and throttle info! The capture can be done very easily with Shadowplay if you have a nvidia video board.

Last edited:
You can also change TC while driving, there's an option to bind 2 keys to that ( + & -). Same for Brakebalance and ABS (not this car as it has none).
Maybe you can report Kunos forum there's no electronic tabs while in practice mode, I don't use that mode and haven't recognized that yet but I sure would expect it there too.

cheers

Well, I've been back @spa last night and made some further experiences.
I joined the UK Spa 10laps 20min Q server. I was far from able to do a 2.18 first. 2.20/21 mostly.

The tires & wheather conditions seemed to be the cause for that. That server changes track & air temperatures every race & quali and also starts with pretty low gripconditions and cold tires. I was struggeling to find appopriate t-pressures most of the time.
Problem was, with some conditions it was not possible to have good pressures & temperatures at the same time.

Example 40° air & 48° on track, I could either reach good pressures (15psi the lowest possible setting) combined with red glowing tires or the other way arround, no good pressures but ok temperatures. I got to a 2.18 again when there were moderate conditions like 20°air / 26° track.

So wheather & tires are a huge factor to laptimes.

With the edgy hot conditions I wasn't sure anymore with what I wrote here before (priorize good pressures over good temperatures) though the fastest guys on that server confirmed it as I asked.

Btw. the fastest lap I've seen on Spa last night was a high 2.15 done with the vette.
I'm a few weeks into Assetto now, there seems to be lots of room for improovement ;)

Feedback to improove tiremanagement is appreciated, cheers fGT

Here it is .. simply take the latest setup that i can find in this forum & modified according to my taste. By the way i improve a little bit more but looks like 2:18.813 is my limit, at least for now.

Good luck.

Attachments

• 2.18.813 v1.11.4.ini
    1.8 KB · Views: 387

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back