Ferrari 250 SWB mod test @ Silverstone / Paul Ricard - 88 layouts - Thu 27th August

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
flyer_250.jpg

Servername: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM
Class: GTC65 Ferrari 250 SWB (download)
Track: Silverstone 88 / Paul Ricard 88
Race Time: 13.00
Practice: 20 min
Qualification: 10 min
Race: 16 laps
Notes: Click here to read the password and golden rules!
Note2: Download from Butch's NFS Bolide site (mirroring not permitted, so it's an external link)
Note3: The mod comes with quite a few default skins, so we will use those.
Note4: The cars are all high cost, but as we should all have done the credits and car unlock cheat hopefully that won't cause anyone any problems. If you are short of cash, just buy the car you want to drive online.

As for integration into the GTC65 field:- previously on PR88, people were doing high 1:37's to mid 1:39's in Shelby Daytonas & AC Cobras during Quali.

There were some 1:39's last night too.

The Daytona and the Cobra are two of the quicker cars in GTC65 brute force wise, and that long old back straight would really give them an advantage over a lot of the other GTC65's cars. I did a 1:40.xxx last night round there during the race, so I reckon it's a pretty decent fit, pace-wise.

It's certainly not so many miles off the pace that we need to keep it sectioned off.

Anyone have any thoughts / comments / contra-indicators?

Another night of fun and frolicks at RD, cars are very good, keep them please.

2 really excellent races last night, although the cars took a bit of tuning to get round they were a hoot once I'd got my head round the peaky motor and the fact they pushed like a Cat D11, glad I could be of some help with the setup.:good:

I prefer single make races/series as it puts more emphasis on driver rather than car and every time we run one it ends up being extremely close racing, last night was no exception with 4/5 of us on close lap times during the races, was great to see some new, and some returning, faces, or in my case, Ryan's rearend:smile-big: too.

@Kris, I know this might be a bit of a granny/egg suggestion but maybe do a few laps offline before joining the server just to get a general idea of lines using AI as a rough guide would help, even with my limited energy reserves I can manage 30mins or so of setup fiddling for most events offline, and when I've got a base line I upload it to the online folders in the hope that it can be of use to those that have little knowledge of sets, they are normally available, at the latest, a couple of hours before racetime and most are up a day or so earlier, we all know you are a capable racer but there are very few, myself included, who can turn up on the server and be anywhere close to fast pace without some prep., sorry if this comes across as pontification, hard habit to break as I was an A.R.D.S. instructor through the early '90s, but it is not meant as a slight, just a wee push toward the front hopefully.

Sam

I can't really comment on where they fit in with the other cars, as I haven't driven them, and I don't know how other car's race pace is, but this car was VERY conistent during the races. I could go just as quick on the last lap of the race as the first, even as quick as quali.

I fully intended on getting up for this event, but had a pox night sleep, so instead of waking up all cranky @ 4:30am, I thought I'd be better off sleeping it off...... :thinking:

Anyway, last night I did some laps around PR, having never seen the bloody joint before.
I reckon I was running around for about an hour, the last probably 30mins with Piotr(?).
To be honest, although I found them quite challenging to setup, the car itself was probably one of the better GTC-65 cars... certainly I enjoyed it more than the default Ferrari.
Mind you, the drift-ability of this Ferrari certainly helped it get my vote

Stu - apologies mate. You can rest assured I will certainly be at the BWM's though.

we all know you are a capable racer
All except me :D Normally I do practice in advance, certainly for unknown tracks, just this time it didn't happen :embarrassed: For the league I always used the AI to get acquainted with the track and as soon as I -think - I'm used to the track I check my replay from eagle-view to see where I go too wide/slow/short/... Though I have noticed that I really need a lot of time to 'learn' a track decent: preferably with a night sleep in between before the race. Somehow my brain processes it better when I sleep :) The next day I nearly always improve my time instantly.

Never feel uncomfortable for pointing me to something I can do better/faster/stronger or if I just did something completely foolish: I can only learn of your precious comments instead of you cropping up mixed feelings: there's a little hippie inside of me you know who likes to see everyone in peace & harmony. If you don't want to publish it out here there's always PM/mail, but here everybody can learn from it.

Mind you, the drift-ability of this Ferrari certainly helped it get my vote
:) Why am I not surprised by this?

• Bert Van Waes

Well Kris, i reckon you're not the only one with some hippie feelings inside jumping around...

But besides that, i had a great day yesterday trying out this spanking new install. The car feels great, but that wasn't so from the get/go. I had to get used to it's feeling. You can compare it with the 275 but the back end of the 275 is more willing to go where you wanna go. And i could set up a turn before the turn. With the 250 you can do that too, but the acceleration out off the corner is much more difficult to get wright. It feels like a car who needs to be nurged around the middle off the corner.

Race 1 went ok. And for the most part off the race i had (like Warren mentioned alread:)) some great fights with the early awoken Mr. Warren. We indeed swapped regurlay. Great race!!! :) I wonder what it would be if we had some more time (read laps). :)
Some close passings, some going offs, some close ones on full throttle...

Race 2 was more then a handfull for me. With the note from Stuart in the back off my head i flew to T1, only to slip from my pedals and.... Catastrophy was rising in my head. Already pretty late on the brake and now this... In a split second i saw a gap near the first 2 and decided to mash the throttle, hopefully to sneak through and brake on the extra runout zone. It worked and i'm glad to see i didn't hit anybody... Fieuww. This could have been mayhem, i wouldn't forgive myself, i'm sure off it.
Anyway, i went for it again and halfway it seemd clear that i wasn't going to catch up anyone. So i decided to have some fun and really test the limits grip wise off this beauty off a mod. The car is able to keep it on a drift pretty well. Although the front end off the car sometimes loses it grip rather quickly. Even when i'm just racing on the limit. But it loves to get thrown in the corner, and adjust in the middle off it.

This day was a fun GTL day for sure!

Tx Stuart and RD for keeping it alive!

• Matt Crouch

Absolutely the same here Kris - why I always try and get half an hour in the night before an event to familiarise myself with the track and it's nuances.

That is true, I normally find if I try an unknown track the day before then I find it much more natural to remember where the corners go, compared to doing the same amount of practice the next day.

There was some research I saw a while ago where [this is probably not quite how it went...] two groups of people practiced a game where they had to exit a maze, and then tried again later.
One group was allowed to sleep between runs and the other wasn't, and the group who slept were able to recall the layout of the maze with much less brain activity (although their performance wasn't significantly better)

• Bert Van Waes

Interesting. I was not prepared too the other day. Only knew Silverstone from a past GTl race... And look, i already missed alot in the first lap of Paul R...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 75 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 111 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 151 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 288 27.5%