Ferrari 250 SWB mod test @ Silverstone / Paul Ricard - 88 layouts - Thu 27th August

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
flyer_250.jpg

Servername: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM
Class: GTC65 Ferrari 250 SWB (download)
Track: Silverstone 88 / Paul Ricard 88
Race Time: 13.00
Practice: 20 min
Qualification: 10 min
Race: 16 laps
Notes: Click here to read the password and golden rules!
Note2: Download from Butch's NFS Bolide site (mirroring not permitted, so it's an external link)
Note3: The mod comes with quite a few default skins, so we will use those.
Note4: The cars are all high cost, but as we should all have done the credits and car unlock cheat hopefully that won't cause anyone any problems. If you are short of cash, just buy the car you want to drive online.

Can I be a tentative for this please Mr Thomson?

Not yet, and here is why : (and this goes out to all)

From now on, I'd like any tentative sign ups to explain why they are tentative rather than a full sign up. Generally people do, but I don't want this to become a get out clause for less commited members.

Tentative sign up is a courtesy extended by me to people who say they will try to get there but may have real life things impinging on their ability to attend.

Tentative sign up is NOT a caveat so, if you decide you just don't fancy it / feel too slow / get a better offer, you can just not show up without notification.

Anyone asking for tentative without a reason will be considered as a full sign up, and a no-show without explanation or warning will be treated as such.

I honestly don't think I'm being unreasonable with a request like that.

Therefore Ryan, I am moving you to Full sign up, until you provide the reasons for your tentative-ness.

No need to apologise, I just used your post as a trigger for something I'd been meaning to do for a while (and always got sidetracked from) which is why I set it out as a broadcast to all.

You are now reset to tentative.

Can I just say what a top notch mod this is. I really hope the DB4, 904 and TR4 are good as well.

GTL delights me every time I drive it, such variety and richness in character. Unfortunately it's not really a teenager-y game, which could be a good thing I suppose, but we don't get many numbers.

And the tracks too. Excellent creation by carrera4 as usual and great conversion from Dumeklemmer as usual.

What is the status with the TR4, DB4 and 904. Are they finished and need testing out here or are they still in development mod-wise?

No - they're all 100% complete, and have been out and around for some time.

The "testing" in the title is more RD-centric, to make sure we don't get performance issues online (either server or client) once everything's loaded up.

It's also to get our heads around the relative performance (handling as well as speed) so the mod cars can be blended in with similar paced cars so we don't get huge mismatches in races, and keep the racing nice and close.

I'll be defending the Belgian tri-colore in nr. 8.
I had 5 seconds free time yesterday and when driving my first meters on the server I noticed I had a gdb mismatch... I will delete the entire PaulRicard-folder and reinstall and hopefully I'm at home on time to do some more testing in advance.

When choosing the team I had the choice between the 2 Fezza's (=ok) and the Legend cars. Is this normal? Was the server also set up for these things or are they based on the Fezza 275?

Yes, Kris that is normal for GTL Mods.

They way they do it, the mod cars are attached to one of the default GTL cars.

Mini 1310 -> Mini Cooper
Ferrari 250 -> Ferrari 275
Ferrari Dino -> Porsche 914

You will see the GTL "base" car in all events that use the mod cars, there is no way around that.

The Legends Cars definitely go into the GTC65 section during installation but they aren't on the server yet, so I'd expect a mismatch if you tried to select them as you connect. It's entirely possible that the 275 is the car used to hang the Legends Cars on to.

All - I probably don't need to mention it, but just to avoid any confusion re: the above -

Tonight's event is for the 250's only, please do not choose the 275.

• Bert Van Waes

Wow, Piotr, welcome!! :)

well, i'll pick the red one, nr. 68 that is. :)

Nice little extra window on the hood in case i smash the big one... :D

That was a very nice evening:)

Race 1 was a little poor for me. Wasn't used to the car and made some mistakes. Halfway through the race my computer froze:( Right before the race had started someone said that 38l was enough fuel for Silverstone. After the freeze I checked the garage and found out I had run 88l of fuel:)

Race 2 was much better. I qualified 4th. Into the first corner I backed off the throttle quite early to get to get a clean T1. But then I misjudged the braking and hit one of the guys in front:doh: Sorry for that (Thankfully it didn't cause a spin)

After that it was all good. Had some great racing with Piotr for the first part of the race. Mid-race he went wide in T1 I was left in P3. The rest of the race was more quiet, but always pressure from behind and a great show by Sam and Ryan infront:)

Thanks Stuart, RD for a great event

Another top GTL event, I've come to expect that now of course with this group. Interesting to test this new Ferrari, although I really struggled to get the hang of driving it. Huge thanks to Sam for the setup, it helped lots.:worship:

The mod was very good, I thought the build quality of the model was exceptional, lots of fine detail, and the cockpit was probably to a higher standard than default cars. I enjoyed the driving physics more as I became used to it, although I never really got on top of it. I'd be in for more races in these though.

Both races were good fun. Race 1, I had an enjoyable run with Bert for most of the race, regularly swapping places as we took turns to make mistakes. Thanks Bert, many laughs. :yo:
Race 2 was the one I really feared, my memories of Paul Rickard were nightmares. I managed to shed the demons this time, thanks mainly to spending the first 10 laps (ish) glued to Stu's rear bumper. :eyebrows: He showed me the correct lines (well better than mine anyway). Thanks Stuey, really enjoyed this one. :biggrin1:
Apologies to the guys behind me at the start, yet again I dropped the clutch only to find I hadn't put it in gear. oops!! but everyone somehow avoided my stationary car.

Grats to Sam and Ryan for the wins.

EDIT: I voted to keep this mod.

Cool racing tonight!!!

lots of thanks to whoever initiated the vote for sylverstone as the 1st track!!!

1) Although I was looking forward to Sylverstone, qualifying somewhere in the middle, I was still not able to hold my concentration over the entire 16laps! Yet, I was able to keep up with the 1st 4 drivers for almost 2 laps :). Sorry that I slightly touched sb during 1st lap right by that 1st 2ed gear turn, but my trackIR somehow quit, freezing a look out of the left window making it impossible to look ahead (literally)!!! Fortunately, a friend of mine could reset me within almost no time and the person I touched recovered perfectly! However, I was able to practice trailbreaking and taking it easier under racing conditions :)

2) Cool track, gained a lot of experience on this one, especially braking 100% and simultaneously downshifting to have the engine shorten the braking distance without clutch causing troubles --> yeah :bananalama:
Thank you Sam for your setup...and the info about trail braking! :fwd:
I was 4th or 5th until I forgot about the cold tire temp of lap one :doh: causing me to be L A S T :snail::snail::snail:

But then, I was able to find out more and more about how to drive this car, and driving in general :victory:

Thank you Stuart for this event,
Thank you all for the great contribution to my experience by being such great drivers:plus1:

That was top stuff, absolutely lovely car, modelling was good and the driving physics excellent, driving a bit like a powerful Abarth to me.

Race 1 - I sneaked pole but with three of ud on 43.4 itr was gonna be a close race. I got a shocking start, holding up Sam in the process, dropped down to 4th. Then started a humdinger of a battle between Stu, Piotr, Sam, Bert (briefly) and myself. And aside from a few scrapes here and there it was extremely clean and fair. Bert dropped off and Stu pulled away a little as Piotr, Sam and myself battled. A few laps later though Stu (and Piotr) made a mistake into the chicane, allowing Sam and I to battle for the lead. Which we did, nose to tail, side-by-side for 7/8 laps. Several lead changes, until lap 14 I changed down too many gears and span as a result, coming home second. Great stuff Sam :good:.

Race 2 - qualified third. Got a better but still poor start and managed to get through the little rough and tumble at T1 and come out in third. Nice job avoiding everyone Bert :D.

Sam and Piotr battled in front and Sam passed on lap 3, which allowed me to take advantage too. Again it was Sam vs me as we dueled lap after lap till the end. I took the lead with a lovely (I thought) move on around lap 8/9 and managed to stay there till the end. Great race again Sam :good:

Absolutely loved tonight Stu, great mod, was great fun sliding the car into corners on the brakes like a MotoGP bike :D

• Matt Crouch

Don't know how it compares to the other cars in performance but it was good on its own. Challenging but rewarding.

First race, qualified about 7th but dropped to the back on the first lap. Slowly made it all the way up to 3rd, more down to other peoples mistakes :p. Only got in to 3rd for a few seconds though before trying out a bit of grass and going back to 4th. Then my wheel came unclamped in the last corner :D

Second race, got a better quali but couldn't match it at-all in the race. Interesting first couple of laps but then the gap started growing in both directions and I didn't really see anyone else again ;)

I knew this wasn't going to be an easy event with 2 unknown tracks and a new car.
On the car: The engine seems like a pre-historic V-TEC which gets activated from 6000Rpm in the lower gears :) I got surprised by this quite a few times :messed:

On the tracks: You can see F1 (at least a lot faster cars then the GTL-ones) drives around here: the tracks are so wide making it difficult to learn a decent line throughout both tracks. Paul Ricard is a bit easier in my opinion (For some reason I prefer it just a bit more then Silverstone)

I used every second of the pre-practice on PR and every moment of practice and qualify on Silverstone: I improved almost every lap but it wasn't enough to escape from the last positions on the grid. I had a few action filled laps, and then I used the remaining -15- laps to gain experience on this track.

PR: Could 't use the practice time here as I was starving: quickly threw a pizza in the oven and by the time Qualify started I was ready :) I reached a 1.43 I believe which put me (again) at the back. During the race my FT was a 1.42 if I'm correct. Didn't feel very comfortably and finished the race at ease

Ode to the Car:
ferrari_250_gt_swb.jpg

The interior (Here you can see the effort put in this mod)
1960Ferrari250GTSWBAlloyCompetiz-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back