Fernando Alonso very close to McLaren move

Fernando Alonso.jpg

After a remarkably long saga it now appears Fernando Alonso is very close to signing for McLaren next year. Since the Japanese Grand Prix weekend, where Sebastien Vettel was unofficially announced as a Ferrari driver for 2015 replacing Fernando Alonso, there has been intense speculation that Alonso could make a remarkable return to McLaren, the team he acrimoniously left after one season in 2007.

With his likely options set on either a move to McLaren or take a sabbatical in 2015 and frantically work on joining AMG Mercedes for 2016, it now appears Alonso has made his decision and is very close to signing for McLaren for 2015. Many F1 news outlets are reporting this news with BBC Sport writer Andrew Benson stating his inside sources believed whilst both parties are still discussing the fine details of a deal, the deal is advanced enough that they would be amazed if he doesn't sign for the team.

It previously seemed the most likely stumbling block was Alonso's desire for a one year deal, leaving him plenty of flexibility for 2016, however this now appears sorted as it's believed Alonso has agreed a two year deal with an option for a third, a fairly common contract amongst drivers now.

Alonso himself commented at the recent US GP that his next move would be "probably not a big surprise." From here Alonso also later stuck to his monotone response to his future in recent weeks by stating "I have a very ambitious plan in my head for my future, which I think is the best for Ferrari as well.If that happens, people will be very excited, as I am. I am extremely happy. All the things in the last two or three months follow exactly the plan I had."

This move seems to suit all parties as McLaren receive arguably the best overall driver in F1 currently, with new engine partner Honda also very keen as they have openly spoke of a desire to have a big name join the team for 2015. Alonso has also got his hands on a team with plenty of potential, and a contract that makes it easy for him to run if things don't go to plan just like with Ferrari. 2015 is already shaping up to be an epic season, with Alonso's progress at McLaren something a lot of people will be following next year.

I (sadly) think you're right about that, I hope it'll be Alonso + Button but I've got a sneaking suspicion that JB will be heading to endurance racing instead.
You're probably right about Button I think he'll be off to WEC, he might even join Nissan LMP1 program since they are returning to endurance racing next year. I think he'll do good in endurance racing but it will be sad to see him go.

Good article, he probably will join McLaren in the worst kept secret in F1 apart from Vettel joining Ferrari. Maybe, just maybe, another team can gain Button's services next season, it certainly won't be a team who has money problems, though I hope he drives an F1 Car next year. ;)

Also, I was hoping he would reunite with Honda, as they both have string links, but yeah. :cool:

Honda_F1_power_unit_engine.jpg

I really can't wait to see how the Honda power unit will fair against the others. I am pretty sure of one thing though, there is absolutely no chance either of the Mclaren cars will get a grid penalty for using an extra power unit part in 2015, if you know what I mean.

View attachment 70413

I really can't wait to see how the Honda power unit will fair against the others. I am pretty sure of one thing though, there is absolutely no chance either of the Mclaren cars will get a grid penalty for using an extra power unit part in 2015, if you know what I mean.
Hehe, Hondas are known for reliability that's for sure, at least in road cars, I must admit that while I started watching F1 as a BAR Honda fan in 2000, I can't say I took notice of their reliability back then (I wasn't as much a race nut as nowadays). Honda + McLaren is probably the best news I've heard since I got my dream team when they announced Hamilton + Button in McLaren a few years ago!

Actually the first BAR in 1999 was quite unreliable :D

But I don't think McLaren has enough downforce. If Honda is "as good as Merc", and McLaren is using Merc now there should not be a change in performance unless there gets to be some massive aero-upgrades to the car.

Actually the first BAR in 1999 was quite unreliable :D

But I don't think McLaren has enough downforce. If Honda is "as good as Merc", and McLaren is using Merc now there should not be a change in performance unless there gets to be some massive aero-upgrades to the car.

Well...Prodromou is working in Mclaren now and he was like Adrian Newey's disciple so we'll see how Mclaren fair up next year. You never know how it might turn out

Well...Prodromou is working in Mclaren now and he was like Adrian Newey's disciple so we'll see how Mclaren fair up next year. You never know how it might turn out
that's why I said
unless there gets to be some massive aero-upgrades to the car.
As an Alonso fan I hope it ends up like Merc this year and that he joins them :D Tbh Ferrari can't seem to make a championship winning car these days, it's always off the pace and carried by Alonso's supreme driving skills.

Maybe, just maybe, another team can gain Button's services next season,
Total speculation here, but I'd quite like to see Button go to Lotus next season alongside Grosjean. However I think Maldonado's pot of gold may have something to say about that...

that's why I said

As an Alonso fan I hope it ends up like Merc this year and that he joins them :D Tbh Ferrari can't seem to make a championship winning car these days, it's always off the pace and carried by Alonso's supreme driving skills.

I don't see Alonso going anywhere else than Mclaren. Ferrari have been an absolute disappointment; like i said before, they are really going to find out how deep in the s*t they actually are. I think Mattiacci was one of the reasons why Alonso wanted to leave. He didn't value his efforts and has been very critical of him. If Mattiacci thinks that Vettel will be able to do a better job than Alonso in driving a s**tbox, then I don't know how what F1 he's been watching

I just hope Alonso gets a car worthy of his skills... As a New Zealander I've always been a supporter of McLaren (Bruce McLaren was a kiwi :cool: ) But as a driver favorite I've always supported Alonso, since I started watching circa 2004... So this will be a dream team for me! In all honesty, if anyone deserves a 3rd WDC on the grid it's Alonso and has been for a fair while now... How cool would it be if they style the McLaren Honda on the Senna car!! Yea looking forward to 2015!!

There is one thing for sure, if the engine freeze is applied for 2015, then Honda should definitely have an advantage over the rest of the manufacturers. In that respect with a more powerful engine McLaren can push their levels of downforce a bit more without sacrifising straight-line speed.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 74 12.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 53 8.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 63 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 36 6.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 90 14.9%