Fernando Alonso very close to McLaren move

F1 is all about money and has been for a lot of years. Top teams can afford to have a decent driver, lower teams need someone who brings 20M in sponsorship along with him. Sometimes the decisions can even be 'political' like needing a driver from a certain country to keep your main sponsor happy.

We haven't had all of the 'best drivers' in Formula One for a lot of years.

I don't understand one thing, from what i heard, Alonso is going to McLaren because they can give him "techincal safeguards" (i don't know if it's the correct translation, i mean that McLaren can give him a fast car) while the Ferrari can't. I was wonder what are this technical safeguards? How do they know that they won't get destroyed for another year by Mercedes? (Or RB or anyone else)

Noone can guarantee a fast car, not even Mercedes, but they can guarantee that if the cars performance is not up to a certain standard then the driver is free to leave the team before the contract expires.
This is why both Vettel and Alonso are leaving their teams prior to the contract expiring.

Noone can guarantee a fast car, not even Mercedes, but they can guarantee that if the cars performance is not up to a certain standard then the driver is free to leave the team before the contract expires.
This is why both Vettel and Alonso are leaving their teams prior to the contract expiring.
Oh, that's make more sense, thank you :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 215 14.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 115 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 216 14.4%