Fernando Alonso very close to McLaren move

+ he's one of the best, if not THE best, drivers on the grid.
I was no Alonso fan before, and I certainly didn't become one after his diva tendencies in his last run at McLaren, I don't understand why people go about calling Lewis a crybaby but Alonso is let off the hook....
But on track he just performs insanely well, I've never seen anyone else extracting such magical performance out of a piece of dung like him and he's a hard and (mostly) fair racer.
Polish a turd and what you get is a shiny turd, but with Alonso you get a shiny blistering fast turd breaking the sound barrier. :p

I would like to see Jenson Button with Bottas at Williams. But I dont think they will kick out Massa, who is a good guy and deserves a ride in a good car for next season.

I am now being to think that McLaren will need JB for 2015, with Alonso helping develop the car, with Kevin taking a step back for one season. Makes sense to me, apart from the wage bill....but JB will take a cut.

I am now being to think that McLaren will need JB for 2015, with Alonso helping develop the car, with Kevin taking a step back for one season. Makes sense to me, apart from the wage bill....but JB will take a cut.
But at the same time you could also argue that the need for an experienced driver (Jenson) is lessened, now that they've all but confirmed the signing of Alonso, who is also an experienced driver, and a pretty good driver to boot.

So they've got experience in Alonso, and will save more money with Magnussen + his potential ability.

But what they need from a 2nd driver is someone who can finish races not far behind Alonso, to score the maximum points for the team, and I don't think KMag is it, looking at this years points standings show JB being a much better choice for that.

Just my personal opinion and if you disagree, please don´t press X but rather tell me why, but "with Alonso helping develop the car" Ferrari from a winning car in last seasons became a "piece of dung", so I think, it is not what Mc Laren wants.

Just my personal opinion and if you disagree, rather tell me why, but "with Alonso helping develop the car" Ferrari from a winning car in last seasons became a "piece of dung", so I think, it is not what Mc Laren wants.
Drivers don't develop cars, engineers do, but engineers don't drive cars, drivers do. Don't matter if Alonso gives the best feedback in the world to his team if the engineers are not up for the task.
Now I dunno if Alonso is a great team builder like that, but Ferraris failure surely has not been down to Alonso alone! (if at all!)

But at the same time you could also argue that the need for an experienced driver (Jenson) is lessened, now that they've all but confirmed the signing of Alonso, who is also an experienced driver, and a pretty good driver to boot.

So they've got experience in Alonso, and will save more money with Magnussen + his potential ability.

I do agree. Yet is Kevin the right man to partner Alonso in 2015? Promises of a super Honda power unit, an MP4 30 which is more aero than the MP4 29 (not difficult really) and Alonso at the helm dragging McLaren to where we should be the top. And his wingman is Kevin, promises of Kevin emulating Lewis Hamilton's rookie year haven't appeared. Hence my doubt in Kevin scoring enough point in 2015 to sustain a credible challenge in 2015.

In my honest opinion, Alonso and Button is way better than Alonso and Mugnussen. kevin hasn't impressed me at all this year, only things he was doing was causing accidents (Hockenheim, Spa, etc.)

Would be quite a bit annoyed if he stayed for another year. Though like someone said here, it might all come down to money like usual.

kevin hasn't impressed me at all this year, only things he was doing was causing accidents (Hockenheim, Spa, etc.)
Exactly, he has been very very annoying. During a race K.magnussen isn't simpy dueling he is literally dogfighting, killing anyone who tries to overtake him.

Alonso is only happy when he dominates a team mate. So Magnussen is a bigger risk as he will get faster and will be more ambitious. (see Ricciardo and Vettel).
I also think that Alonso and his diva mentality is bad for a team as a whole.

Reminds me of when the engines arrived from Honda for McLaren in the days of Senna/Prost.
One engine would be marked "Senna" before it left the Honda factory.

• Deleted member 161052

In my honest opinion, Alonso and Button is way better than Alonso and Mugnussen. kevin hasn't impressed me at all this year, only things he was doing was causing accidents (Hockenheim, Spa, etc.)

Would be quite a bit annoyed if he stayed for another year. Though like someone said here, it might all come down to money like usual.
I don't know what Magnussen should become if McLaren keeps Button for another year...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 356 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 249 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.8%
  • < 5 years