Fernando Alonso recovering in hospital, McLaren rule out car failure in crash

fernando-mclaren.jpg
McLaren have released a statement both stressing Fernando Alonso’s recovery in hospital following yesterday’s crash during the first Barcelona test and to deny certain theories surrounding the incident.

Through analysing the cars’ damage and telemetry, the team believe that Alonso encountered strong winds going through turn three, affecting the car’s grip and causing him to run wide, something which also happened to Carlos Sainz Jr. in the Toro Rosso yesterday. Less traction on the astroturf meant the car snapped back towards the inside of the track, making what they called a “significant lateral impact” with the wall first with the right-front, then the right-rear.

McLaren are also adamant that there were no car issues at the time of the crash, finding no loss of aerodynamic pressure or electrical discharge by the ERS system, the latter debunking a rumour that Fernando was made unconscious by electric shock before the impact. They explained: “Our data clearly shows that he was downshifting while applying full brake pressure right up to the moment of the first impact - something that clearly would not have been possible had he been unconscious at the time.”

According to the team, Alonso has had routine check-ups and is apparently talking to family, friends and hospital staff, but will remain in hospital to undergo further observation work. They will decide whether or not he will run in the final Barcelona test, starting on Thursday, “in due course.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone buying the "wind gust" story? :D

Vettel was right behind him, going at a higher speed, or at least the same, as he was about to pass him, yet he wasn't affected at all by it, nor did he mention that he felt it too.

McLaren, pull the other one.

Have you ever had a head injury? Concussion? I have, just from a simple fall and I suffered severe concussion. And you need to be very very careful when it comes to a head injury.I had CT, MRI scans and a neurologist. This was 5 years ago and I still have blinding pains from the injury. So, imagine what it is like in an F1 car?

Isn't pleasant at all. So, with the medical support Alonso had, you'd rather be safe than not.

Some people claim that he was unconscious before the crash, but that is no true.
As Mclaren added, he was applying full brakes up to the moment of the crash.
It's just that things happen way too fast in F1 cars, a normal driver wouldn't even
have been able to brake, let alone remain conscious.

Gary Hartstein said:

Word to Ron Dennis: if there's loss of consciousness, if there's a normal CT, then it's BY DEFINITION a concussion. Your statement is a lovely recap of your team's confusion, obfuscation and inconsistencies since this all started. Oh and the cockpit surrounds provide EXTRAORDINARY protection to the head in lateral impacts. Material, thickness, and distance from head have all been studied for maximum efficacy. Change foams depending on T°. So he WAS protected.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 339 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 174 8.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 293 13.4%