Fermi

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4296785&postcount=637
14xp3qh..png

Prices will be around what AMD cards are or bit less I think.

GeForce GTX 480 : 480 SP, 700/1401/1848MHz core/shader/mem, 384-bit, 1536MB, 295W TDP, US$499

GeForce GTX 470 : 448 SP, 607/1215/1674MHz core/shader/mem, 320-bit, 1280MB, 225W TDP, US$349

zotac_se480_1..jpg

some review on Nvidia's new graphics card (sound, power consumption)
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/03/26/nvidia_fermi_gtx_470_480_sli_review/7

start of the article
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/03/26/nvidia_fermi_gtx_470_480_sli_review/1

I do have to say that I feel a bit disapointed at Nvidias price range and not really that much faster than the once the cards to compete.....the cause could be that the new drivers are not optimal....but still...and using more power wattage
I was expecting a bit more faster.....I will just wait and see or wait until the release of some review on GTS450

Performance is about where it was expected, beats the 5870 (the 480) and price wise AMD's have been higher/just as high recently. Beta drivers still so allot more performance to come out of the card yet. Power usage of cause not good though.

Mean while:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 & GTX 480 Launched!

That's right! As you should be all be aware of (it's been advertised for weeks & weeks) today was the official unveiling of NVIDIA's brand new high-end DirectX 11 graphics cards, the GeForce GTX 470 and GTX 480. This is almost certainly the most important product launch of 2010, so owe it to yourself to check out some of these reviews:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 Fermi Video Card.

In summary: The GTX 480 is faster than the HD 5870 pretty much across the board, but it uses a fair bit more power too. The GTX 480 is slower than the HD 5970 in most instances, but it uses a fair bit less power and the 5970 is a dual GPU, no one expects a current gen single GPU to beat a current gen dual GPU. It was allways the 480 vs the 5870. The GTX 470 offers a respectable performance increase over the HD 5850, sometimes even surpassing the HD 5870 depending on the game and resolution.

Those who want to buy either card will have to wait untill April 12th. Price-wise you are at $500 for the GTX 480 and $350 for the GTX 470.
---

I have to say I'm extremely disappointed, nVidia have blown an incredibly important and hyped release. They may have taken back the crown for the fastest single GPU card but the gain doesn't warrant the ridiculously high price, especially in the UK, £450 for the 480, £100+ more than a 5870 is Suicide, even more so when you take the reported higher heat, noise and power requirements in to account.

And everyone thought ATi would be reducing their prices, I bet they are laughing their arses off at AMD HQ.

nVidia better have some serious price reductions and\or a 485\490 ready to roll, I am a long standing nVidia Fanboy but my loyalty is draining away rapidly.

A Sad day.

Regards

Yeah I know how you feel Eyghon
I have been with Nvidia since around 2000/2001 (Was before ATI, but due to disappointment haven't been with then since that time....and yeah they have improved, but kept with that disappointment :)) and was always happy,
but seeing now that the price/performance is to big of a comparison to compare to its closest competition, it is by then a disappointment....but time will tell with the drivers...

with this price they wont get any Ati user conviced to buy a new Nvidia card and even if tehy have a 485 or 495 ready to roll what do you
think they will call up for this babys one could get a realy racecar for it probaly lol

Nvidia still control the GPU market though and will most likely sell more Fermi's then 5*** series AMD did. Infact one of the last quarters Nvidia still made more money then ATi did despite no Fermi. Also most of the reviews test noise and temps with no case and use furmark, which as we know puts cards under the sort of load that just doesn't happen in real world usage.

Driverheaven and techpowerup are good to take a look at noise/temp levels.

Overall this is Pros/Cons of Fermi so far.

Pros:

* Performance
* Overclocking
* DX 11 performance
* 3D Vision and Surround supported
* Direct Compute
* 32x CSAA
* Cooling solution
* Productivity increase with CUDA apps
* Ray tracing
* PhysX

Cons:

* 3D Vision Surround needs two video cards
* Hot running
* Fan noise at full speed
* Price?

I agree with the Pro & Cons, being able to run at Maximum Tesselation (which looks stunning) is another Pro.

I am looking at buying a 3D monitor this year and nVidia already has fully functioning 3D drivers\support where as ATi don't and they would have to source support from a third party, this is yet another plus in nVidia's favour.

I could probably cope with the Heat and Noise, I have run some stupidly modded cases in the past with 757 noise levels but for me the Pro list needs another 2 additions and they are Price and Price, at least for UK.

The Zotac 480GTX for example is $499(US) BUT £477 (OCUK), were it priced properly and fairly to compete with a 5870, £330 to £400 I would buy.

Regards

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 73 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 273 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing