(Fer)Lando Norris Outstanding For McLaren in Bahrain

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Norris Impresses in Bahrain.jpg

Living up to the hype in fine style, Lando Norris produced an exceptional performance in Bahrain on his way to a very impressive points finish for McLaren.

Norris had something of a difficult end to his 2018 Formula Two season, losing a championship that many thought was his to win at the beginning of the season, but that small issue aside, the young Englishman came to Formula One with plenty of hype following his signing to the once great McLaren team.

Having now firmly started the rebuilding process back in Woking, an improved McLaren car is giving the driver plenty of opportunity to shine in front of the Formula One fans, something he is doing with great style so far this season - showing the way to his more experienced team mate Carlos Sainz in the second car.

Voting Open: RaceDepartment Driver of the Day HERE.

Having once again qualified in the top ten, Norris drove a strong and mature race to finish well within the points paying positions, giving himself yet more well deserved plaudits from teams and fans alike - adding further proof that he could well be a driver well worth watching closely in the years ahead..

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
I know Charles is driver of the day but my personal driver of the day is Lando. Very composed, and strong quali and race pace on both races, and as he's a sim racer i support him

I know Charles is driver of the day but my personal driver of the day is Lando. Very composed, and strong quali and race pace on both races, and as he's a sim racer i support him

I agree, Lando Norris is very impressive.

This season seems to have the best group of rookies in a long time. Norris, Leclerc, Albon are all very impressive. It's a shame Russell is stuck in a Williams, because I am sure he would also get great results with a good car.

I think we are looking now at the emergence of the stars of the 2020's. In a few years, Vettel, Raikonnen, Hamilton will be gone. Add Verstappen (who's still very young) and Mick Schumacher to the mix, and there will be some very interesting championship battles in F1. Older drivers like Ricciardo, Hulkenberg and Perez will probably never win a championship because the good seats will be taken by these young drivers.

I agree, Lando Norris is very impressive.

This season seems to have the best group of rookies in a long time. Norris, Leclerc, Albon are all very impressive. It's a shame Russell is stuck in a Williams, because I am sure he would also get great results with a good car.

I think we are looking now at the emergence of the stars of the 2020's. In a few years, Vettel, Raikonnen, Hamilton will be gone. Add Verstappen (who's still very young) and Mick Schumacher to the mix, and there will be some very interesting championship battles in F1. Older drivers like Ricciardo, Hulkenberg and Perez will probably never win a championship because the good seats will be taken by these young drivers.
Leclerc is not a rookie.

During pre-season, I suggested that McLaren's driver pairing didn't excite me at all.

Well, looks like I have to take that back. Both of them look fast (and the car seems to be right up there in the best-of-the-rest battle), perhaps with Lando having the cooler head of the two.

And I agree that it's a shame that Russel isn't able to showcase his talent in the struggling Williams car. He seems like a really cool dude.

Just shows how many kids can race F1 cars with no problems.
Imagine if his Dad wasn't worth 200 million and mates with Zak Brown we'd never of seen him in an F1 car...
How many other kids who have done karting but never had the funds could be racing in F1.....answer... LOADS!!!

To whoever disagreed with me, how can you honestly think Lando would of been able to ever showcase his talent if his Mum and Dad were 'poor'...and by poor i mean not being worth millions....
If he was born with natural talent even, he'd not be able to to be showing his skills right now...without loads and loads of money to burn through and the right connections...

Maybe these cars are just too easy now, Lando is built like a 14 year old girl FFS...

To whoever disagreed with me, how can you honestly think Lando would of been able to ever showcase his talent if his Mum and Dad were 'poor'...and by poor i mean not being worth millions....
If he was born with natural talent even, he'd not be able to to be showing his skills right now...without loads and loads of money to burn through and the right connections...

Maybe these cars are just too easy now, Lando is built like a 14 year old girl FFS...

I believe LH comes from a non millionaire background. He does okay for himself. Sure his family had to make sacrifices but I think that's true of any athlete at the top. It's not like daddy just bought him an f1 team....

Reactions: NDG
I believe LH comes from a non millionaire background. He does okay for himself. Sure his family had to make sacrifices but I think that's true of any athlete at the top. It's not like daddy just bought him an f1 team....

Errrmmmm.... he isn't Lando or Stroll though.... is he?
The talent pool of F1 and Motorsport in general at the elite level is made up of rich Daddies kids.....

Lando is good...but if his Dad was poor and not mates with Zak Brown we'd not be witnessing him proving it...
That is my point.... however good someone is, regardless if you believe in 'born with talent' or simply 'learnt in karting etc etc up to GP2'...they would be sat at home on a sim rig dreaming, without cash behind them....

Errrmmmm.... he isn't Lando or Stroll though.... is he?
The talent pool of F1 and Motorsport in general at the elite level is made up of rich Daddies kids.....

Lando is good...but if his Dad was poor and not mates with Zak Brown we'd not be witnessing him proving it...
That is my point.... however good someone is, regardless if you believe in 'born with talent' or simply 'learnt in karting etc etc up to GP2'...they would be sat at home on a sim rig dreaming, without cash behind them....

Your point is... what exactly? That life's unfair? That F1 is a rich boys' sport? I agree on both counts. Life is very unfair and, yes, it really helps in life (not just in motorsports) if you are wealthy and healthy, instead of sick and poor.

As for F1 cars being too easy to drive, I have no idea and neither can you, because I've never driven a F1 car and never will, and I'd be surprised if it was any different in your case. Are today's cars easier to drive than before? Maybe, maybe not. I could not care less. I like to watch racing, and if it easier for the drivers to drive these cars, good for them. I thought today's race was a lot of fun to watch and if the drivers use a paddle shifter instead of a good old gear shifter, so what?

This is exactly right. People like Lewis Hamilton had a parent who was willing to sacrifice nearly everything for a chance at their child's success in sports. Of course, usually this type of sacrifice doesn't pay off because the kids don't have the dedication and thus they don't develop the talent. But most parents won't sacrifice financially for their family for just one child's one in a million chance at becoming a pro in Motorsports.

In Motorsports this type of dedication requires more money than it does for many other sports. Hamilton didn't grow up wealthy but clearly they had enough money to do karting frequently and get in the right equipment. There was certainly also a stroke of luck as the relationship with McLaren was forged for him.

But many of the drivers we see that do get to F1 come from more advantaged backgrounds because their parents have the discretionary cash to put their kids in great karts and shuttle them around their country or around the world to do it. It is really foolish for anyone to deny that money plays a role in becoming a successful driver. I have interacted with multiple pro drivers and also a number of Pro driver hopefuls that never got there. When you talk to the people who instruct for driving schools Etc and never got to be successful Pros you will hear the struggle for money as part of their experience.

This isn't like playing football. Money can make a difference in football but if the kid is completely dedicated, has access to a ball and can get on a local team they can get on the path to Greatness with almost no Financial commitment. You can't do that in Motorsports. Track time cost money and many many kids do not have access to it. It's just the way it is in Motorsports.

Sim racing is doing a little bit to equalize this. But it is a long long way from ever replacing sheer cash in the development path of a race car driver.

Hamilton didn't grow up wealthy but clearly they had enough money to do karting frequently and get in the right equipment. There was certainly also a stroke of luck as the relationship with McLaren was forged for him.
Grew up in a council flat, and only had enough money to do karting because his father worked 4 (yes, 4) jobs to pay for it.

Last year I read an article about Lewis fearing he'll be the last of the working class F1 drivers. Like you've said in your post, it's foolish (and naive) to deny that money plays a significant role. It's not just in sport (cough - US college admissions scandal - cough). :whistling:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 92 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 68 9.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 73 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 45 6.2%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 100 13.8%