Felipe Massa to Formula E in Three Year Venturi Deal

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Felipe Massa Formula E Deal.jpg

Former Sauber, Ferrari and Williams driver Felipe Massa secures 2018/19 Formula E debut with the Venturi Formula E Team, embarking on a 3-year contract in the electric series...

Having walked away from Formula One racing at the end of 2017 with 11 Grand Prix victories, 41 podiums and over 1000 points during his 16-year stay in Grand Prix racing, Brazilian driver Felipe Massa has begun the next chapter of his illustrious career in the all electric Formula E championship with the Venturi Formula E team, having at the age of 37 signed a three year deal to drive in the series from the start of the 2018/19 season.

Felipe Massa Formula E Deal 2.jpg

Although embarking on a totally new form of motorsport following his long stay in the top flight of open wheel racing, Massa could find the playing field levelled slightly thanks to the debut of the dramatic new Gen2 car coinciding with his first Formula E race, something the super experienced Brazilian is hopeful of working to his advantage as he looks to challenge at the front of the field from the start of his new adventure:

“I’m very happy to be joining the VENTURI Formula E Team and the Formula E championship, which has become a magnificent competition in such a short space of time. For some years now, I’ve been clear about my interest in this innovative, forward-looking discipline that’s developing exponentially. I especially like the format of race meetings, the city-centre circuits and the contact with the fans. I can’t wait to take part in testing at the end of the month. Gildo has always been a step ahead when it comes to high performance electricity vehicles. The team is in a phase of growth and development. I’ll do everything I can to contribute to the project and hopefully I’ll be among the front runners”

With DTM Audi driver Edoardo Mortara and 32-year-old Mercedes GT driver Maro Engel currently employed by Venturi in Formula E this season, it remains who will be set to make way for Massa at the end of the year as the fourth year Formula E team continue to hunt for their first victory in the competitive electric open wheel racing series.

For more news from the motorsport world be sure to check out the Motorsport Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment - Join in the discussion today!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Do you think Formula E will be a good fit for Felipe Massa? Do you think the former Williams man challenge for race victories during his stay in the series?

Last edited:
All these awesome domestic racing series to choose from in Brasil and then you sign a Formula E contract.
does-not-get-it.gif
Outside of Brasil you won't get robbed or shot by favela gangs I guess :rolleyes:

Seriously, despite the engine sounds being non-existent the racing is very good as half of the field having F1-like driving skills. Also the series at least tries to be innovative as their new car shows.

He is there becasue the big car manufactures are there and it is the future of racing whether you like it or not.
He could pick any race series but he is aware of the way FE is going..... then touring cars will go electric etc etc....
It is happening.
And to add, i am 41, you can all put your little red cross for disagree, i dont really care as i am not a child...... i don't like this move to electric racing, but it is real and it is going to be its future as top line racing exists because of car makers and if car makers are promoting electric why race with an engine....?

because of car makers and if car makers are promoting electric why race with an engine....?
Really? Then how come I don't see anybody here driving 100% electric cars in the real world apart from some Tesla-folks who think they are in California?

Electrical vehicles will never be a real thing outside massive urban areas unless they quickly find a way to charge a battery under a few minutes and increase the range of the car by x50.

I believe in hybrid's in the real world but fully electric engines not so much.

Question: how does Formula E travel to all the races? By green electric planes? Green trucks?

Good luck to him. I believe he was in talks with Jaguar but that stalled when he did one more year in F1.

I was hoping he would go to WEC. Having Alonso, Button and Massa in LMP would have been so cool. However that may still happen in the future.

A solid driver who got the job done in his last year of F1. As mentioned above it would be great if he could get that championship he deserves.

Shame there's no UK round anymore Would gladly travel to cheer him on.

Really? Then how come I don't see anybody here driving 100% electric cars in the real world apart from some Tesla-folks who think they are in California?

Electrical vehicles will never be a real thing outside massive urban areas unless they quickly find a way to charge a battery under a few minutes and increase the range of the car by x50.

I believe in hybrid's in the real world but fully electric engines not so much.

Question: how does Formula E travel to all the races? By green electric planes? Green trucks?

The future....not keen on it myself, but it is what it is. Not really here to argue about it.
I don't like it, but the car makers are in FE and from a money / Sponsor angle i can see why he chose FE rather than Brazil stock cars.....that is all i am saying...
I do not promote electric power for cars i think its daft..... but no amount of me whining will change what is coming....sadly.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back