Felipe Massa to Continue Post F1 Career in Brazilian StockCar Opener

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Felipe Massa.jpg

Newly retired Formula One driver Felipe Massa has confirmed he will contest the opening round of the 2018 Stock Car Brazil series at Interlargos in early March next year.

The 36-year-old 11 time Grand Prix winner will be making his Stock Car Brazil debut at Interlargos alongside multiple series champion Caca Bueno for the Cimed Racing outfit, sharing driving duties with the most successful active driver in the championship in what is both the opening round of the new season and also an invitational "doubles" event, where drivers share a car for the only time in the year in a fashion similar to the Australian endurance rounds of the V8 Supercar championship.

"I am honoured by the invitation and will be very proud to make my debut in Stock Car in double with the greatest champion in activity and my great friend, Caca Bueno," said Massa of the announcement today.​

"Cimed Racing, as the current two-time champion, is the ideal team to face a challenge like this, in an extremely competitive championship."

Already looking at options to continue an incredibly successful career outside of Formula One, Massa has made no secret of his desire to continue racing at a high level following his exit from the Williams team, and the race next March will his first national event since the 1999 season, where Massa won the Formula Chevrolet Brazil series, an early forerunner to the now Brazilian Stock Car Series as it is known today.

The Brazilian driver has only confirmed an opening round debut at this stage, coming about courtesy of an invitation from the series organisers, with more permanent plans for the driver yet to be revealed. It remains to be seen if this one off drive could be something of a trial for a more long term arrangement, or the 2008 Formula One runner up could still be looking to participate in a more international series now his Formula One career has come to an end.

For more news from the world of racing then check out the Motorsports Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved in the community discussion today!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Looking forward to seeing Massa race at home this coming March? Do you think the Brazilian series would be a good fit for the 2008 Formula One runner up? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
A nice choice, I'm glad he's picked something with an engine! ;)

There were strong rumours about Formula E but I was hoping he'd try something like WEC or Stock V8.

A track he always seems to shine at so he'll certainly be one of the favorites to win.

As Scott says it would have been a waste if he just walked away completely, he can still deliver the goods.

Will be interesting to see what the coverage is like. I know there are some races broadcast in Brazilian on Youtube.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back