Feldbergring

Tracks Feldbergring 1.4

Login or Register an account to download this content
Cardboard cut-out trees
I noticed a few trees which look generic, but have you seen the scale of the track and the road surface and houses and details there insane quality, its not just a case of adding 200,000 3d trees everything has to work correctly at the end and play nice frame rates the details are staggering, the track is a large track.

I noticed a few trees which look generic, but have you seen the scale of the track and the road surface and houses and details there insane quality, its not just a case of adding 200,000 3d trees everything has to work correctly at the end and play nice frame rates the details are staggering, the track is a large track.
Maybe it's too big a project for him. Slapping a load of trees here and there does not make a great track.

We can be honest here, or we can all pretend everything is great. If I was submitting tracks here, I would prefer an honest critique instead of blind praise.

I give my 3 year old daughter blind praise. It won't last.

Maybe it's too big a project for him. Slapping a load of trees here and there does not make a great track.

We can be honest here, or we can all pretend everything is great. If I was submitting tracks here, I would prefer an honest critique instead of blind praise.

I give my 3 year old daughter blind praise. It won't last.
The way the track is laid out and the way the tress and fences are so close to the track,
why should high quality assets such as 3d trees be used here or there in location ?
like oh I will add a 3d tree here on one corner and another high quality tree on this corner, it does not work this way sadly, the track is very large and most tracks use the same techniques in adding the trees, so changing all the trees for high high quality asets would ruin the fps currently the track plays really nice and personally I am very happy with the quality, even all the leafs covering the tarmac and the grass and mud on the bends,
really adds so much to the details of the track to me looks amazing.

The track is insane this is just 1 section of the track its too large to record at once,
there must be over 1,000,000 trees :geek: I mean easily in total :D:D
f0578f3a24a3f2d6b4d5b934aca22d00.gif

A peaceful big playground for the old Maserati Grand Prix cars... but once you let loose something faster in it it gets scary :confused::confused:

EoFwd1x.jpg

hairpin to start-finish line goes flat, almost at least, holding on for dear life :speechless:
nG4UXHx.jpg

that town part feels so much more real than Highlands... could have a little more reverb for my taste ;)

edit: And the performance is incredible, 120 fps in practice mode despite "fancy" pp profile

Last edited:
Superb track with an absolutely fun flow and great design!
However I did manage to find an issue with it. Had an online race and I had a cut corner penalty as I entered the pit lane.
See yourself with the picture in the link below:
https://media.discordapp.net/attach...31865800714/unknown.png?width=1214&height=683
open
That's the bug I reported to you @Fat-Alfie. Thanks for taking the screenshot @ThomasFredson.

I'm so happy to see v1.0 released to the masses. It truly was an honor to watch this track grow and develop. The amount of work put into this layout is phenomenal. Not only is it visually stunning, but the flow of the track is awesome. If anyone is looking for me, I'll be at the Biergarten having a few pints. :D :cool:

After seeing that I want helicams.... :roflmao:
Well in Catalunya last year I added a 747 jet well 2 and replaced the hot air balloons,
this track as some really nice straights on it, so why not add a few planes and make them move faster instead of the balloons would look insane :D:D even birds why not add a flock of birds migrating ?
b8b1bd6cc28b688ddd64e874ef517f59.jpg

2018_10_migrating_birds_spring.jpg

thing is with these birds you can actually make them fly in AC so they would move there wings, now I am not saying add 15,000 birds maybe 20-30 scattered about on flocks, keep 1-2 balloons and add a few planes now to me that would be cool :D

Superb track with an absolutely fun flow and great design!
However I did manage to find an issue with it. Had an online race and I had a cut corner penalty as I entered the pit lane.
See yourself with the picture in the link below:
https://media.discordapp.net/attach...31865800714/unknown.png?width=1214&height=683
open
Thanks for that info, I will take a look at the AI lines today. I have a couple of small amends to make too, so I will include this correction in the update :)

Even for Lotus 49 the track isn`t that bad either ;)
Btw, does anyone beat that (3:43.5)?

ps: just noticed some Irregularities on leafs on the road, need some uv mapping (exactly at the middle of the object, there you can see textures are not the same on both sides).

Last edited:
Cardboard cut-out trees, no connection to the ground. Loads of them right beside the track, but none beyond the track limits. Doesn't give a forest feel to the circuit.

No realistic joins from road to grass.

Advertising hoardings in perfect alignment with no obvious visible supports. Cluttered scenery, with dozens of trees placed unnaturally in small areas.

A cluttered, confused track with no real depth of geography, littered with 2D trees, some suitable adverts and varying road surfaces.

Sorry, 3 out of 5.

I did say that this track would not be to everyone's taste :) The track is just over 11.5km long, covering an area 7km x 7km. The best way I could think to give the impression of woodland terrain was to use 'cardboard cut-out trees', as you put it. There are 40,000 tress covering the terrain, using 24 polys each for the ones placed close to the track, and 4 each for the ones in the distance. In total, all these trees add around 350,000 tris to the track. If, as you have suggested, I had used 3D trees throughout, I would have added around 12,000,000 tris (working on a 3D tree having 300 tris). I know that my system would not have handled that, making the track unplayable for me - so why would I do that?

My aim was to make a track that looked like it was set in woodland, yet still make it usable. I like to think I have achieved that to a certain extent. I am more than happy to accept criticism, but what you have suggested would not have worked.

Again, I could have added the string fixing the banners to the fences, but again, my goal was a balance of detail and performance.

Thanks for trying my track, though - I'm sorry you didn't like it :)

Even for Lotus 49 the track isn`t that bad either ;)
Btw, does anyone beat that (3:43.5)?

ps: just noticed some Irregularities on leafs on the road, need some uv mapping (exactly at the middle of the object, there you can see textures are not the same on both sides).

Thanks for that, I'll recheck the UV mapping on those overlays again. They use a simple texture and the leaves are 2 rows of polys high with the UV mapping mirrored around the centre top-to-bottom.

WEKIiBw.jpg

I have to adjust the mapping at the start and end to 'fade in' and 'fade out' the leaves. I must have messed up the mapping on the ones you mentioned :rolleyes:

Well in Catalunya last year I added a 747 jet well 2 and replaced the hot air balloons,
this track as some really nice straights on it, so why not add a few planes and make them move faster instead of the balloons would look insane :D:D even birds why not add a flock of birds migrating ?

thing is with these birds you can actually make them fly in AC so they would move there wings, now I am not saying add 15,000 birds maybe 20-30 scattered about on flocks, keep 1-2 balloons and add a few planes now to me that would be cool :D

I did try this last year on my Thomson Road track:

I thought about adding them to FBR too, but was wary of it looking like a gimmick (a conversation Lilski and I had at the time kept popping into my head). Maybe it could be worth looking at again though :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back