Don't have a lot of space so I'm trying to design a rig that can function as a workstation too. Features/Highlights:
- Wheelbase mount/deck:
- Wheelbase deck can slide back when not in use and is secured by 4 locking handles.
- Current wheelbase mount is designed around the CSL DD but it should be pretty flexible for other wheelbases including my current CSW.
- Monitor: Monitor will be mounted to gas spring arm from the back of the desk (currently doing this now and it works great).
- Table Top: Designed the table top to use standard 2x12 lumber (3 x 28" long).
- Plan to use with a reclining seat so that I can tilt the seat up when working, back when sim racing.
- Because most car seats have a rise in the front (making your thighs point slightly upward instead of horizontal like an office chair), I will likely need the seat closer to the floor than a normal office chair would be. Thus I will also make the table top lower than a normal desk. Plan to use seat risers though as I think the seat will need to be much higher than a normal sim rig.
- Will use seat sliders to make it easier to get in/out of the rig when using it a workstation.
- Obviously the car seat will not have arm wrests like a normal office chair so that is a slight risk to the ergonomics so I might try removing the arm rests from my current office chair for awhile to test it out.
- Profile: 1.5 x 1.5" profile instead of 1.5 x 3 because I felt there are so much reinforcement in the top section (it's basically a box). I am slightly concerned about the 2 longest pieces but since I'll be in/out of the cockpit multiple times/day I thought a lower threshold to clear with my feet would be more convenient.