• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

Feedback on v8Factor v1.3 physics/handling

Discussion in 'Team ORSM' started by still_bacon, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muzarati

muzarati

Ratings:
    +30
    Do the talent files actually work? Why do I get Dean Fiore and Mark McNally running in first or second and Lowndes & Winterbottom down in 17th and 18th? (no offence to Fiore & McNally) Shouldn't the top drivers be consistantly at the top?

2. Michael51

Michael51

Ratings:
    +0
    They don't, you need to set them yourself

3. still_bacon

still_bacon

Ratings:
    +159
    Not 100% correct Michael

The AI files do work when you are running against them, but if you are in a Prac or Qual session, and you skip to the next session using the button, then all bets are off, and the AI seem to develop some uncanny abilities and are a lot closer in their times (including tailmarkers being up front).

The trick is to let the sessions run their full time and they will work a lot closer to the way you expect them to.

Otherwise, eliminate the sessions you don't need in the track options before starting the race.

4. muzarati

muzarati

Ratings:
    +30
    yeah can that be changed? I have an issue with Phillip Island where a car gets stuck in the pit garage and can't get out to qualify (seems to be stuck half way through the wall) so when the race starts he goes straight to the front of the grid! I'm thinking he should start from the back.... Oh... by the way does anyone know a fix for this bug?

5. still_bacon

still_bacon

Ratings:
    +159
    Sorry Mate.

That is a track specific issue, and it's not one of our tracks/conversions to do that one.

You don't get that issue with Bathurst do you?

6. Ivo Simons

Ivo Simons

Ratings:
    +954
    I have a question about the Grill Tape.
    I have it 80% but the oil temp is never is more then 85 degrees.
    Even when i put it on 0% the max is always 85. I know the optimal is 95 degrees but there is no way i can reach it. :)

7. Warwick Browne

Warwick Browne

Ratings:
    +5
    lol, I was about to post the very same thing! Water Temp doesn't get hot running in the desert with 80% grill tape. I would have thought 80% grill tape would be used for a top 10 shoot out or small amount of laps before overheating.

8. Ryan Callan

Ryan Callan

Ratings:
    +501
    We have noticed in our league that 0% tape equals a faster laptime - surely it should be the other way around?

9. krunch

krunch

Ratings:
    +58
    Grille tape (blanking) should affect both the front downforce and the engine temperature. More blanking will increase front downforce but will also increase drag a small amount. So you may get better turn in but sacrifice some top speed. Depending on the track the increased drag may result in a slower lap.

More blanking should also cause less cooling as there is less air passing through the radiator. The engine should heat up substantially over a couple of laps using 80% blanking. However It looks like I managed to break that effect somehow before release - my bad. It WAS working in pre-release testing so we'll definitely fix it for the 2009 mod. Thanks Ivo Simons and Tickford for pointing that bug out.

10. Ali Alami

Ali Alami

Ratings:
    +8
    I just began to drive the version 1.3 of your Mod and it's great. Good work guys. The car has much more grip and brakes awesome now.

But I have some notifications

1) I drove 10 laps in Mills metropark with 1.2 version and then with 1.3 version (I have 2 rfactor installations by the way), I noticed that in 1.3v the tires are wearing very quickly than 1.2v (I use CTDP rf Dynamic HUD). So for longer races it might be a problem

2) The base setup (I'm no expert in setups, and I always use base setups) but I thing the front camber is too much, also Grille tape has no effect on engine temperature (Always 85°)

What do you think guys ?

11. still_bacon

still_bacon

Ratings:
    +159
    Thanks for the detailed feedback sigmatc24. We are always interested in what you think, and how the cars perform.

We will make some improvements before the next release, which should include the Sprint tyres also.

The Grill tape issue has been picked up and will be corrected in our next release. I have cooked several engines testing that one. Lucky we are not paying for them, or I'd be bankrupt by now..

There is a set up floating around somewhere (that I posted) that works really well around Bathurst and you might like to set it up as your default in the meantime.

The wear in 1.2 was probably a little bit too generous also, and 1.3 will punish you for overdriving, so be smooth and you should see some better life out of the tyres.

Bacon

12. Ryan Callan

Ryan Callan

Ratings:
    +501
    One thing that I keep forgetting to post re the understeer. Obviously these things are big, fairly nose heavy beasts and one would expect them to understeer to some degree - however I still feel they understeer a little too much (especially as the fronts wear quicker than the rears which shouldn't be the case and does not seem to IRL having watched every race of the last two years). One aspect I think this could be attributed is the undervalueing of the front splitter, as IRL they generate quite an amount of downforce. Also, once the front splitter is lost, the difference in handling is negligible, or at least, hardly what the drop-off should be.

Make sense?

13. Ali Alami

Ali Alami

Ratings:
    +8

Thanks for replying

For the last two days I enjoyed so much driving those beasts around Bathurst, and It was a great joy. Thanks for the efforts guys.

Tyres were really suffering after 20 laps, so I don't think I could drive a full tank session with them. (32 laps or so)

Yes smooth driving is the number one 1 rule for conserving tyres

14. Ali Alami

Ali Alami

Ratings:
    +8

Thanks for the infos

You're right Using CTDP rf HUD, I noticed the front is wearing much quicker at least in (Bathurst) especially the right front tire which is enduring a huge LOAD

In the other hand, left front tyre is not reaching it's ideal temperature but this happends often.

Is there a way to make this left front tire working better ??

15. Doug62

Doug62
    Premium

Ratings:
    +553
    There's a couple of ways you can go with this. Either lift the right rear ride hight. Transfers weight to the left front.

Put more pressure it the left front tyre. Will help a little.

Increase spring rate on right rear. Similar to ride hight change but adds to car stability.

Remember what ever you do to help the front will effect the back. Same the other way. What you do to the left front will effect the right rear and so on. Basically the effect works across the car not just from back to front.

16. Ali Alami

Ali Alami

Ratings:
    +8
    Thank you so much for this valuable tips.

If you can give me 2 or more tips on how to decrease significantly the tire wear, it will be very kind from you.

Have a nice day

17. Scorpio015

Scorpio015

Ratings:
    +0
    Easy off the the throttle on power down. Apply gently rather then stabbing it out of corners/straights

18. Scorpio015

Scorpio015

Ratings:
    +0
    After racing around Mt Panorama this weekend on V1.3 i must admit these orsm cars are sooooo much fun. Can't wait until the newer version is released.

19. Ali Alami

Ali Alami

Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for your tips. It will for sure help me

Yes for sure it's fun to drive those beasts around Bathurst.

Have you tried to do 20 or more laps with the same set of tires. Try it and tell the state of the tires at the end of the stint. Can you be consistant all the way to the finish ?

cheers

20. Scorpio015

Scorpio015

Ratings:
    +0
    My tyres go off around lap 15-20... but you need to go easy on them to last a tank of full (35 laps)... im trying to lay off the brakes as much as possible. This doing lap times around 2:11 - 2:12 for 35 laps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.