Feedback on $6500 Computer/VR/Sim Racing Build?

Hey yall from Texas!

Background

I have been following racing since I was a kid (when my dad flagged 1960s club sport racing and I got to watch lotus super 7s, formula fords, bugeye sprites, vettes, maserati birdcages, MGBs, etc racing in their different class races). I have always owned sports cars and always wanted to race, but racing was too dangerous and too pricey for me.

However, about 3 months ago, I saw a Jimmy Broadbent video of him driving a 60s grand prix car while being in VR, and I was instantly hooked and taken down the entire sim racing/VR rabbit hole that I had never looked at previously. And, on top of that, have been figuring out what computer upgrade I needed to run it all. It has been a lot of fun research the last several months! I must have watched 500 youtube videos ;) Now, I will finally be able to race my favorite all time car, a Lotus 7, as a sim racer! Wow

It has been fascinating trying to find the ‘sweet spot’ where you get the best bang for your buck for each component. I am single and not rich, so haven’t even looked at the truly high end stuff. My original budget was $5000 for the computer upgrade/VR/sim racing gear, but that has ballooned to around $6500, doh! However, I am getting one heck of an initial sim racing rig, VR headset and computer to run the whole thing!

This is the best sim racing forum I have found, and I have posted several specific questions on this forum the last months as I tried to hone down my first ever sim racing build. Now, as I am about to pull the trigger, I wanted to run the entire build by yall at this forum and get your feedback.

PC

i9-9900k OC’ed
RTX 2080 Super
16GB DDR4
850W Power supply and motherboard = both ready to accept the new Nvidia cards when they arrive

VR

VR headset = Valve Index

I am prone to motion sickness in real life and have never tried VR at all, so am doing all I can to give myself the best chance to not get motion sick in VR. I have heard over and over when researching that people that had a lot of issues with motion sickness on other headsets used the Index and their motion sickness went away.

Note that I am doing lots of other things to mitigate any possible motion sickness. I got an Emeterm wristband, will be ordering Dramamine Non Drowsy Naturals (mostly ginger) and will take it slow and stop the moment I get a tad sick and come back later, doing that until I build up my ‘vr legs’.

Combine the helping with motion sickness with the other great features of the Index, and I am going with the Index (plus, I want to play games like Half Life and want those Index controllers)

Note that I am planning on getting a Reverb G2 when they are available and compare it to the Index after having used the Index for a while. If I like the G2 better, then I will sell the Index. If I still like the Index better, I will take the G2 back for a full refund. Went round and round on the Index vs the G2 and finally settled it with that solution

I am not getting a single monitor for the sim rig initially, and hoping I can just use VR only for my sim racing monitor.

Sim Racing

Wheel = Accuforce V2

I really wanted to go straight for a DD wheel, and the Accuforce to me occupies that ‘sweet spot’ value that is a very nice DD wheel for half the price of the Simucubes of the world. Also, they are made by what seems to be a stable company. This video was the one that finally sold me on the Accuforce V2.

Pedals = Fanatec Clubsport Pedals V3

The Heusinkveld pedals were way out of my sweet spot value, so that leaves me with the V3s. I had considered the Elite LC pedals, but I think the V3s hit the ‘serious pedals but still affordable’ category best.

Shifter = Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ V 1.5

I plan on doing as much vintage racing as possible. It is the 60s and early 70s era (even 50s) that grabs me, and I want to drive a formula ford or a lotus 7 or a cobra with an H-pattern for realism. I will have the paddles on the wheel for the times I do sequential shifting. The Fanatec looked like the best value for a really good H-pattern shifter.

Cockpit = Simlab P1-X or GT1 Evo

I am continuing to debate the Simlab Evo vs the P1-X. I want it to be very stable for the Accuforce wheel. However, I do have a small space (5 x 3 feet) behind the recliners in the main room (my man cave ;)), and I don’t want some giant rig sitting there. I doubt I will need the P1 in order to be stable with the Accuforce and that the Evo would work very nicely, again hitting that sweet spot value. The P1 is $200 more. Not being a handyman type, I frankly would not consider building either one if it were not for Barry at Sim Racing Garage and his fantastic build videos given the poor instructions from Simlab.

One thing I really want is a stable shifter mount for the Fanatec shifter. If I got the Evo, I would want to do something like Barry (Sim Racing Garage) said to do, which is to add a vertical piece to support the shifter arm. The P1 comes stock with that vertical shifter arm support piece, so that makes their price difference closer. Hmmm

Racing Seat = GT-Omega XL-RS Simulator Seat

https://www.gtomega.com/products/xl-rs-seat

Maybe someday I will decide to add some sort of motion platform. But, that would be far down the line.

I have not looked much at things like buttkickers, although I did hear that they could help mitigate possible motion sickness also since they help make your body feel something real is happening.

That’s it! Oh yeah, and getting an ASUS VG27AQ gaming monitor for the computer desk (not the simrig). Gotta have a monitor to match the new computer of course. It all adds up to about $6500. It is a bit like summer Christmas down here in 100 degree Texas.

So, what do yall think? Anything jump at you that I should be considering before I start ordering things?

Randy
:)

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Why Accuforce? That's like the least popular choice these days, was at the bottom of the food chain even before SC2 and Podium.

Upvote 0
Why Accuforce? That's like the least popular choice these days, was at the bottom of the food chain even before SC2 and Podium.

Budget was the #1 reason i didn't consider a DD1 or Simucube. I am saving at least $600 or so with the Accuforce and i think it will be plenty for my needs (see that video review i posted above on it, and have seen lots of other reviews of hte Accuforce that really like it). For $1000 it is right in the 'sweet spot' for value i think. Gets me into a DD wheel while keeping me sort of close to my original overall budget, and i am already $1500 over my budget even with the Accuforce.

Upvote 0
Value for money, used SC1, if you can find one, is hard to beat.

I haven't really looked hard at the SC1 or SC2 due to price. I may be able to be talked into one. Getting a used one doesn't sound good though, don't want to spend that much $$$ without a warranty or anything on a used one i don't think.

What are the main reasons to jump up to a Simucube vs the Accuforce? (remembering i am already way over budget and also am just starting out in sim racing)

What are the best current comparison reviews of the simucube vs the accuforce wheels (that review above is 5 years old)?

Randy

Upvote 0
I haven't really looked hard at the SC1 or SC2 due to price. I may be able to be talked into one. Getting a used one doesn't sound good though, don't want to spend that much $$$ without a warranty or anything on a used one i don't think.

What are the main reasons to jump up to a Simucube vs the Accuforce? (remembering i am already way over budget and also am just starting out in sim racing)

What are the best current comparison reviews of the simucube or DD1 vs the accuforce wheels (that review above is 5 years old)?

Randy

Just saw this review in the comments of a youtube comparison of the SC2 vs the DD2...

'I recently sold my Accuforce V1, bought a Simucube 2 Pro and now have a Fanatec DD 2 to go along with my Simucube 2. For me, apart from being smoother and quiet in operation, the difference between the Accuforce and the other two isn’t all that big: certainly not as big as I expected, or as big as some would have you believe. For the money I was honestly underwhelmed. Going from a belt driven wheel to DD is night and day, the difference between DD’s isn’t nearly as big. Between the Simucube 2 and DD2, with all the damping and filters off, I honestly can’t tell the difference, they’re both very similar. It comes down to the software and finding settings you like. All of this is, of course, completely subjective. Everyone has different preferences when it comes to Force Feedback, the only way to find out is to try them for yourself.'

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

What are the best current comparison reviews of the simucube vs the accuforce wheels (that review above is 5 years old)?
5 years ago it's compared unfaworable to old OSW (GD Argon based system).
5 years later AF is still the same, and GD has had two generations of DD systems after OSW, SC1 and SC2. I used to own Argon based OSW before moving to SC2, the difference between two is not small.

One of the issue with AF is notchy stepper motor, while SS, Podium, OSW, SC1, and SC2, all based on servo type. And while motor is not everything, it's one of the biggest contributors to overall system performance.
Also while it's nice to have the whole system including wheel for under $1K, from what I've read included wheel plate, paddle shifters, and rim are mid-grade at best.

May be someone who compared AF to more recent DD offerings can chime in.

Upvote 0
5 years later AF is still the same, and GD has had two generations of DD systems after OSW, SC1 and SC2. I used to own Argon based OSW before moving to SC2, the difference between two is not small.

One of the issue with AF is notchy stepper motor, while SS, Podium, OSW, SC1, and SC2, all based on servo type. And while motor is not everything, it's one of the biggest contributors to overall system performance.
Also while it's nice to have the whole system including wheel for under $1K, from what I've read included wheel plate, paddle shifters, and rim are mid-grade at best.

The Accuforce is now the V2, it was still a V1 5 years ago, so it has improved, but not exactly sure what the differences are between the V1 and V2. I have heard numerous times what the guy above said (that jumping from belt driven wheel to DD was a huge jump, but jumping between DD wheels the difference is not that much.

Upvote 0

What is a 'stepper motor' vs 'servo motor'? First i have heard those terms.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

What is a 'stepper motor' vs 'servo motor'? First i have heard those terms.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

The Accuforce is now the V2, it was still a V1 5 years ago, so it has improved, but not exactly sure what the differences are between the V1 and V2. I have heard numerous times what the guy above said (that jumping from belt driven wheel to DD was a huge jump, but jumping between DD wheels the difference is not that much.
This covers some changes that went into V2, seems like all are just cost saving.

And one more reference.
AccuForce V2 announcement

In May 2017, SimXperience announced the V2 version of their AccuForce wheel. Although the basic specifications were still the same (hybrid DD servo motor, 13Nm of torque) some supply chain optimisations and a redesign of the housing meant the wheel could be sold for as much as $700 less than the V1, putting it firmly in the price range of an OSW wheel or even the Fanatec ClubSport V2.5 wheel.

Upvote 0

The 'but of course they cost more' line is the rub. It costs a lot more. How much could i get a Simucube Sprint wheelbase + vintage style (non-modern F1) style wheel with a few buttons on it? Would like to jump right to the Simucube Sprint, but it looks to be a minimum of $600 or so more than the $1000 Accuforce V2.

Even if i could spring for the extra $600 or so, is it really worth $600 more than the Accuforce V2? In everything like this, there is a line where you spend more money and get a LOT more value, but at a certain point, you can spend a lot more money and yet not get that much more value. Thinking the Accuforce is that sweet spot for me, as it gets me into a good DD wheel with good software, but i am not spending serious money to get something that is better, but not 50% better (despite paying 50% more in price).

All the reviews of the Accuforce have been quite good. Definitely much better than any belt driven wheel, which is what i originally planned to get.

Randy

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Another note to add when it comes to picking the cockpit is this.

If i love sim racing and want to further upgrade to a SC2 and HE Sprints in a few years, will the GT1 Evo work with SC2/HE Sprints mounted?

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Here's the problem. Sounds like you are not even sure if this hobby is for you and if it sticks for many years to come, but trying to invest big mullah into this from the start with the intent to "possibly replace" later.
May be starting with lower end denominator is a better route to dip your toes in, like Thrustmaster for instance.
What is your sim racing system now and how many hours do you have in each sim you race?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I think you have done a masterful job of putting together a very reasonable system. My only caution has to do with the graphics card. Next generation is due within two months. Best time to buy is therefore in about three months. Keep in mind the graphics card is usually one of the most important parts of the puzzle. The better your graphics card is.... the better the whole system is. So, wait a couple months if you can.

Upvote 0
I think you have done a masterful job of putting together a very reasonable system. My only caution has to do with the graphics card. Next generation is due within two months. Best time to buy is therefore in about three months. Keep in mind the graphics card is usually one of the most important parts of the puzzle. The better your graphics card is.... the better the whole system is. So, wait a couple months if you can.

Who knows though exactly when those cards will be released, or when the one that i would want would be released. For example, they could just release the new version of the 2080ti (3080ti or some such for $1200) first and not release other cards until early next year. Plus, would want to wait to get the one that was in my price range ($700) and that was reviewed to be super quiet, etc.
So, with all that in mind, my idea is to go ahead and get a 2080S now and then sell it once all that sorts out and there is something equivalent to today's 2080ti or better for around $700.

Randy

Upvote 0
Last time I looked at DD wheels was before the Fanatec one came out. The main problem I found was that all the non Fanatec ones require a lot of extra bits and pieces to get the Fanatec wheels working on them. Maybe that's changed, but you do want to make sure your including all the bits and pieces you need to have a full wheel set.

If I do upgrade to a DD wheel I'll almost certainly stick with Fanatec, I already have Fanatec gear and I know the stuff I've already bought is going to work with the Fanatec base. Fanatec is an ecosystem where you know everything's going to work as expected out of the box.

The only problem I have with the Valve headsets are that they are only available as a full kit including controllers you'll rarely if ever use. That makes the Reverb stand out as the better option for me.

Other than that it's a good setup. I think your right to go all in and get a good setup. I messed about with cheap gear at first but just decided to bite the bullet and get a proper setup, I didn't regret it. I think a rig is essential to getting a good experience.

Upvote 0
Here's the problem. Sounds like you are not even sure if this hobby is for you and if it sticks for many years to come, but trying to invest big mullah into this from the start with the intent to "possibly replace" later.
May be starting with lower end denominator is a better route to dip your toes in, like Thrustmaster for instance.
What is your sim racing system now and how many hours do you have in each sim you race?

I have not sim raced at all, but the moment i saw people sim racing in VR 3 months ago, i knew i had to try it and give it a good go to see if i like it like i think i will.

I want to start out with good gear though (not the best yet) so that i have the best chance to enjoy it. If i find i don't end up using it much, then i can sell it and take some losses on the sim racing gear.

The computer will not be a loss even if i end up not sticking with sim racing long term, i am complete computer nerd so that will be 1000s of hours of use (including with my job).

The VR headset is the same way, want to give it a really good shot to see if i like it and can handle it.

Randy

Upvote 0
Last time I looked at DD wheels was before the Fanatec one came out. The main problem I found was that all the non Fanatec ones require a lot of extra bits and pieces to get the Fanatec wheels working on them. Maybe that's changed, but you do want to make sure your including all the bits and pieces you need to have a full wheel set.

If I do upgrade to a DD wheel I'll almost certainly stick with Fanatec, I already have Fanatec gear and I know the stuff I've already bought is going to work with the Fanatec base. Fanatec is an ecosystem where you know everything's going to work as expected out of the box.

The only problem I have with the Valve headsets are that they are only available as a full kit including controllers you'll rarely if ever use. That makes the Reverb stand out as the better option for me.

Other than that it's a good setup. I think your right to go all in and get a good setup. I messed about with cheap gear at first but just decided to bite the bullet and get a proper setup, I didn't regret it. I think a rig is essential to getting a good experience.

That is kinda my idea on going ahead and getting very good (but not the best) stuff, in that sweet spot i keep talking about. I want to give VR and sim racing my best shot, and i don't want to get the wrong impression of it due to using cheaper wheel, pedals like a G29 or something. If i do end up not playing that often, then i can sell the pieces and get almost all my money back, so i am willing to take that chance.

I do want the Valve controllers as i want to play a lot of games like Half Life also in VR. If it wasn't for that, i would wait for the Reverb G2 for sure. As i said above, i plan on trying both out eventually before making a final choice between the two of them, but i will be factoring in the controllers for other types of games into my decision also.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back