Favorite and least favorite cars in AMS2?

The Ginetta GT4 is one of my favourites in AMS2. No idea how realistic it is, but I find it very fun to drive. The M1 Pro Car after they fixed it a couple updates ago (it was impossible to spin before) is another one I really love. Challenging in all the right ways.

The Brasil Stock Cars are always impressive. Definitely some of the most underrated cars amongst all sims, IMO.

As for cars I don't enjoy, well, this list would be quite big to be honest, but probably the ones that really puzzle me are most of the modern formula cars, except maybe the Formula 3.

Downforce is a wonderful thing, but on most modern formula cars in AMS2 downforce seems to never be affected or disturbed by anything... it feels like once downforce kicks in you could drive these cars over a big boulder while flicking the wheel side to side like a madman and the cars would still remain perfectly planted, which is not what I see on F1 races.

I hate to use the word "arcade" (sorry) because it overly simplifies whatever complex physics are in place here, and I do believe they are quite complex, but at the moment it's the best word I can come up with to describe how I feel driving these cars in AMS2 and I don't find them fun at all. Quite disappointing since AMS1 modern formulas were top notch.

Last edited:
Downforce is a wonderful thing, but on most modern formula cars in AMS2 downforce seems to never be affected or disturbed by anything... it feels like once downforce kicks in you could drive these cars over a big boulder while flicking the wheel side to side like a madman and the cars would still remain perfectly planted, which is not what I see on F1 races.

I hate to use the word "arcade" (sorry) because it overly simplifies whatever complex physics are in place here, and I do believe they are quite complex, but at the moment it's the best word I can come up with to describe how I feel driving these cars in AMS2 and I don't find them fun at all. Quite disappointing since AMS1 modern formulas were top notch.
To each his own. I absolutely love the FClassics. They do require a bit of setup work to get the best out of them as the default setups tend to have lots of wing and the aero balance set too far to the rear, giving that slightly stodgy feeling that the car can't spin on power no matter what. But when you move the aero balance towards the front and increase the caster to get a more direct cornering feel, they become true weapons and are so much fun to powerslide around Long Beach or Monza 1991.

I would suggest some people love them because its a simplified engine in the game now, and its easy to drive.

Facts being there are a lot of bad cars in AMS2. This is undeniable. The gap in terms of quality between the best car in AMS2, which is actually something like the Porsche cup 4.0 at this moment, to the RSS mod cars in AC like the Ferrucio and Lanzo, the vortex and others like the shadow or the 2017 f1, 1990s F1s and others like 2020 f1, is literally light years. Also a VRC mod car like the Ferrari 310B is amazing, and represents leaps and bounds being in front of the best AMS2 car. I'll explain.

In saying that a race in the Porsche cup 4.0 is very good especially at a quality track like Kyalami, or Nürburgring since the AI is very decent, kudos for that. Its great and all, but the gap in quality of cars is enormous and glaring. The tracks are so lovely the cars not so.

The worst car in AMS2 happens to be probably many of them on the same rung, the modern f1 cars and the gt3's. Atrocious. But in saying that the best cars are fairly ok even if you cannot put lipstick on a pig, they are middling at best.

Another good car is the latest bmw turbo, and a few others such as the BMW Procar; the ultima is flat and cartoonish unfortunately, the gt3s woeful like the McLaren. The GT1s had the life sucked out of them. We must be honest. Its not saying much that only 5 or so cars are any good, middling though they be, after this amount of time. But sure when those few cars are good they are really good in terms of enjoying AMS2. It functions the best as an Arcade game and never once do I delve too deeply into thinking about it, I just sit back and enjoy the arcade feels of the race, which is real good, so there is that.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

. . .

I would suggest some people love them because its a simplified engine in the game now, and its easy to drive.
Nothing is simplified. Of course a class, that for example recently received diffuser and center of pressure tweaks (McLaren 720S, F-Classic) and camshaft weight adjustments (F-Classic and many/all others) is clearly not "simplified", right? Stop sharing false information. :)

Just because something is easier to drive or less enjoyable for you doesn't mean, it's in any way "simplified/arcade".

Last edited:

Facts being there are a lot of bad cars in AMS2. This is undeniable. The gap in terms of quality between the best car in AMS2, which is actually something like the Porsche cup 4.0 at this moment, to the RSS mod cars in AC like the Ferrucio and Lanzo, the vortex and others like the shadow or the 2017 f1, 1990s F1s and others like 2020 f1, is literally light years. Also a VRC mod car like the Ferrari 310B is amazing, and represents leaps and bounds being in front of the best AMS2 car. I'll explain.

In saying that a race in the Porsche cup 4.0 is very good especially at a quality track like Kyalami, or Nürburgring since the AI is very decent, kudos for that. Its great and all, but the gap in quality of cars is enormous and glaring. The tracks are so lovely the cars not so.

The worst car in AMS2 happens to be probably many of them on the same rung, the modern f1 cars and the gt3's. Atrocious. But in saying that the best cars are fairly ok even if you cannot put lipstick on a pig, they are middling at best.

Another good car is the latest bmw turbo, and a few others such as the BMW Procar; the ultima is flat and cartoonish unfortunately, the gt3s woeful like the McLaren. The GT1s had the life sucked out of them. We must be honest. Its not saying much that only 5 or so cars are any good, middling though they be, after this amount of time. But sure when those few cars are good they are really good in terms of enjoying AMS2. It functions the best as an Arcade game and never once do I delve too deeply into thinking about it, I just sit back and enjoy the arcade feels of the race, which is real good, so there is that.
If you are referring to the physics engine being simplified, I very much disagree.

What I do agree with is many of the cars in the game feel absolutely terrible. The GT3 cars in this game are bar none, the WORST GT3 in all major sims. They handle very oddly and it feels terrible. I don't like ACC or iRacing but the GT3 in both of those are far superior to AMS2, as is R3E and Rfactor 2. It isn't just the setup either and I can put up a top 20 laptime on Time Trials in a non McLaren and although I am nowhere near alien, I'm certainly not slow either. The cars just do odd things and it's aggravating. Some cars (probably less than 10) feel amazing so I know it isn't just the engine that is broken or limited... but seriously, I would say the majority of cars with any level of power feel terrible. As I have said before, the F Retro feels awful. The Ginetta G58 and the BMW M6 are all just terrible and they don't feel like real cars at all.

If you are referring to the physics engine being simplified, I very much disagree.

What I do agree with is many of the cars in the game feel absolutely terrible. The GT3 cars in this game are bar none, the WORST GT3 in all major sims. They handle very oddly and it feels terrible. I don't like ACC or iRacing but the GT3 in both of those are far superior to AMS2, as is R3E and Rfactor 2. It isn't just the setup either and I can put up a top 20 laptime on Time Trials in a non McLaren and although I am nowhere near alien, I'm certainly not slow either. The cars just do odd things and it's aggravating. Some cars (probably less than 10) feel amazing so I know it isn't just the engine that is broken or limited... but seriously, I would say the majority of cars with any level of power feel terrible. As I have said before, the F Retro feels awful. The Ginetta G58 and the BMW M6 are all just terrible and they don't feel like real cars at all.

Not saying your opinion is wrong or anything, but I'm just interested as despite sim racers always striving for precision in realism and physics, I rarely get specifics or details in a lot of comments like this. I'd personally find feedback like the above a lot more useful with a few more actual details as to what about the cars handling you find so extremely wrong?

The thing with sims is unlikely a lot of other games, the actual playing experience will vary wildly for every player simply due to FFB settings, both in game and on wheel which makes such a difference and then above that simply the players expectation of what a car should and shouldnt be doing at any given moment.

Because of these kind of things I'd be more keen to hear the specifics of the handling that you do not enjoy, rather than the extreme blanket statements of cars 'feeling terrible, 'worst', 'oddly', 'not like real cars'. Are you realy saying in every single aspect of driving these cars nothing feels right? or is it more you find yourself understeering everywhere, sudden oversteer, cant put power down, brakes lock up, or are you saying you steer left and the car goes right and you put it first gear and it shoots off in reverse?

Again just to be clear not saying its not a valid opinion I'm just really interested as to what it is that gives you such an extreme reaction to certain cars, and despite these issues you're still able to post top 20 times.

Not saying your opinion is wrong or anything, but I'm just interested as despite sim racers always striving for precision in realism and physics, I rarely get specifics or details in a lot of comments like this. I'd personally find feedback like the above a lot more useful with a few more actual details as to what about the cars handling you find so extremely wrong?

The thing with sims is unlikely a lot of other games, the actual playing experience will vary wildly for every player simply due to FFB settings, both in game and on wheel which makes such a difference and then above that simply the players expectation of what a car should and shouldnt be doing at any given moment.

Because of these kind of things I'd be more keen to hear the specifics of the handling that you do not enjoy, rather than the extreme blanket statements of cars 'feeling terrible, 'worst', 'oddly', 'not like real cars'. Are you realy saying in every single aspect of driving these cars nothing feels right? or is it more you find yourself understeering everywhere, sudden oversteer, cant put power down, brakes lock up, or are you saying you steer left and the car goes right and you put it first gear and it shoots off in reverse?

Again just to be clear not saying its not a valid opinion I'm just really interested as to what it is that gives you such an extreme reaction to certain cars, and despite these issues you're still able to post top 20 times.
I can give you specific recurring items that simply feel off and describe them as best I can. I'll try to use specific cars where I have felt what I describe the strongest:

Super V8: On corner exit with my wheel perfectly straight, the rotation on power feels off. It is a front enginge, rwd car, but when I am heavier on the throttle, the front of the car wants to veer off and the rear tires (where all of the power is and none of the weight) essentially stays the course and only ends up following what the front tires are doing. This makes the car feel floaty because the front is doing all the reacting, not the rear (although the rear tires spin, the rear doesn't come around, it simpky follows the front tires.

Fclassic Gen 3 - has a rubber banding effect. The rear does step out but it corrects itself without any corrective action from the driver.

GT3 Porsche - with zero traction control, you can absolutely abuse the throttle without really worrying the rear will step out on you.

F retro gen 1 - there are instances where you are cornering ( on a longer type corner) and in reality, you add a bit of throttle to maintain your speed and trajectory, but in the Retro cars even touching the throttle makes the front push out and understeer as if I was attempting to increase my speed.

That is about as specific as I think I can be. Some cars feel fantastic to me as I have said, but of course what is the fun in replying to a positve comment, this is the internet after all. I'd say the bighest reason these things irk me is because I already know AMS2 is capable of better and at first I didn't mind when an update destroyed a car I previously enjoyed. But we're over a year and a half in to full release so I am less excited when that happens.

Fclassic Gen 3 - has a rubber banding effect. The rear does step out but it corrects itself without any corrective action from the driver.
This is because the rear downforce dominates on most of the default setups, which overstabilises the rear. You can increase front wing and decrease rear wing and eventually you will reach a point where instead of the rear catching itself out of corners, it will just fling you sideways into the fence (try something like 12-2 at Monza 1991 in the FClassic G3M1).

Last edited:
Stop with the nonsense. There are a least 19 different parameters for just the LSD in some modern GT cars.

The narrative that the ME or AMS2 is somehow "simplified" is patently untrue.

The truth is ALL of the baseline parameters that existed in ASM1 (which is lauded to this day and largely come from Niels Heusinkveld himself) for each of the cars have been imported into ASM2. This was the root of Reiza's development plan. Renato has state this accounts for 90+% of the physics of AMS2 (not counting the tire modeling).

The 10% remainder is unique to the ME.

The subjective feeling for each of the cars that players can agree with or disagree with, is squarely based on the tire modeling and driveline physics (like the LSD) I mentioned above.

The improvements we feel every update is the result of Reiza's commitment to working with the ME. If they have to do it one car at a time, one update at a time, so be it. Its small studio, a huge project and I support them for their efforts.

Post and laugh at all the seinfeld clips you want. Doesn't make you more knowledgeable on the subject. Its actually embarrassingly naïve.

• Deleted member 197115

The improvements we feel every update is the result of Reiza's commitment to working with the ME.
It's nice, hope you will find a friend or two to at least break 100 concurrent players.
1635921403037.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Favourite:

McLaren F1 GTR

For me, this one has the best driving feel out of all the cars in AMS2. The FFB communicates everything that the tyres are doing on the road. It's powerful and challenging but not insanely so like the Group C. Plus the V12 sounds glorious and it has the classic mid-90s sports car look.
I got a shiny new DD just over a week ago (alpha mini) - I really liked the Macca GTR on my trusty old G29, but with the DD I can now properly feel it skipping over the road bumps. I'm finding myself regularly choosing it over my other go-to, the C7R in AC (still need that V8 fix though). I'm looking to upgrade my rig with a sequential shifter now

EDIT: I just realised I have not ever being saying which car I dislike and am probably coming across as some kind of sycophant. It's not that I don't have one, it's just that I tend to focus more on what I like rather than dislike (game time is limited for me after all). I have found plenty of things in AMS2 that I don't gel with, but I try to be pragmatic in my approach to this and find it very much seems a 'horses for courses' thing for me so I have selection of car/track/sim combos that I tend to use regularly and then dabble around periodically trying out alternatives

Last edited:
It's nice, hope you will find a friend or two to at least break 100 concurrent players.
View attachment 514886
I was always interested in this thing. But never got a satisfactory answer. I have noticed you are quite active on this AMS2 part of racedepartment, you write posts, you like posts, you spend time here, and you clearly, don't like this game, but you still come here. Could you tell me why do you think you do that? Are you trying to "make others understand?" Or hoping to see changes? Or something else?

Don't take this personally, people do same with other things they don't like but I always had hard time understanding it. How people get satisfaction from contact with things they don't like.

Stop with the nonsense. There are a least 19 different parameters for just the LSD in some modern GT cars.

The narrative that the ME or AMS2 is somehow "simplified" is patently untrue.

The truth is ALL of the baseline parameters that existed in ASM1 (which is lauded to this day and largely come from Niels Heusinkveld himself) for each of the cars have been imported into ASM2. This was the root of Reiza's development plan. Renato has state this accounts for 90+% of the physics of AMS2 (not counting the tire modeling).

The 10% remainder is unique to the ME.

The subjective feeling for each of the cars that players can agree with or disagree with, is squarely based on the tire modeling and driveline physics (like the LSD) I mentioned above.

The improvements we feel every update is the result of Reiza's commitment to working with the ME. If they have to do it one car at a time, one update at a time, so be it. Its small studio, a huge project and I support them for their efforts.

Post and laugh at all the seinfeld clips you want. Doesn't make you more knowledgeable on the subject. Its actually embarrassingly naïve.
I am glad you like it, I of course do too. I am just stating nothing is satisfying to drive in terms of overall realism and there is indeed a lot of simplicity in a lot of the cars. I find it a real shame as I do not mind the actual driving in the game or the graphics for those 1 or 2 very rare cars. Now some cars are quite fine and I am stating there is a major gap between the better ones and the rest.

And my point?? Not what you thought. The ENTIRE driving is simple, its got none of the nuance of Assetto Corsa or even racreroom.

The AMS1 engine Neils flubbed all those numbers. He did it by reverse engineering and guessing a lot with tires and the rest - no I am not saying he is a bit of a genius for that, its completely visible that in a more complex engine such as AMS2 that was not going to cut it.

Heck they even ran the title a full 2 years almost with glaring drive line issues - and like then and now, here you are saying its 'perfect, its not simplified' etc etc etc.

You may have fooled yourself in that regard but you won't fool me.

What is your problem?

fizzle please do not be antagonistic, people are aware of your leanings and outright martyrdom surrounding this title on this web site that always veer off into blind defence like an adherent to some ideology . He is stating a fact. There are only 73 people right now. Thats not the sign of a satisfactory title.

Can we for once progress the conversations away from 'creationist religious arguments logic of not moving the needle' to something further on - its undeniable there are a couple of ok cars and a lot of bad ones...so which ones are they. Which are the good ones and bad ones.

Progress.

Last edited:
Some help for the hard of thinking…

Thread title: “Favourite and least favourite cars of AMS2”

Content of thread: As well as discussion amongst grown-ups pertaining to the thread title, also contains drivel about pens, player numbers, AC and opinions being stated as hard facts.

As links that are off topic are allowed in this thread, here’s another one:

TLDR;

Psychological Characteristics

Researcher Ben Radford wrote about the phenomenon of clowns in history and the modern day in his book Bad Clowns, and found that "bad clowns" have evolved into Internet trolls.[63] They do not dress up as traditional clowns but, for their own amusement, they tease and exploit "human foibles" in order to speak the "truth" and gain a reaction…

…Trolling correlates positively with sadism,[20][21][22][23] trait psychopathy,[20][21][22][23]and Machiavellianism[64] (see Dark triad)…

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 142 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 268 27.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 394 40.1%