Favorite and least favorite cars in AMS2?

Although I haven't fully driven every car in AMS2 there certainly seems to be a pretty big range in quality from what I am experiencing. From what I have driven:

Favorite:
GT4.
These are just incredible to drive and they feel different from one another. They can be as safe as you like with TC and ABS, or turn them off to wrestle the cars around the track and really have to manage throttle and brake. REALLY enjoying these. The one knock is that the Camaro does have floaty steering.

Stock Cars. These feel like the perfect league car. Very believable and a lot of fun. P2P adds a nice strategy element to races. All the different years feel very good. They seem to have a little less of the dart-ish behavior that made them less fun to drive before.

Honorable mention: Caddy Dpi

Least Favorite:

Pretty much every openwheel car.
Honestly these cars magnify the issues that persist with this game that aren't as noticeable in other cars and for that reason they just don't feel realistic at all and I hate driving them. There is too much grip under the limit and too little at the limit. The result is not only poor immersion, but snappy and annoying behavior. The other issue is that turning the steering wheel more gives you more grip/turn in. This just isn't realistic. Combine that with the fact we only have the softest and grippiest compound and it just kills my immersion.

My favourites arent acutally AMS2 only, because I basically like and dislike the same cars in all sims. But specifically for AMS2, taking bugs and so on into account:

Favourite:

Copa Classic & Hot Cars.
Those are the most fun historic low powered cars for me currently, even surpassing the Alfa GTA in AC for the enjoyment factor. There is a lot of variety when it comes to drivetrain layouts within the classes.

GT Classics. I've been waiting forever for these types of cars being implemented, and especially the Porsche is my kind of car. Needs some setup work though, stock setup isn't very good.

Honorable mentions: Copa Trucks and P4s

Least Favourite:

TC Vintage Mini.
While I like the car and the handling, through my wheel the FFB feels very grainy, problably caused by the stiff suspention and small wheels (the karts have the same issue).

GT3s. Apart from them still having too much grip currently, GT3 cars are everywhere and are just boring by now. If I ever do get the urge to drive them, ACC or rF2 are my go to place for those.

Last edited:
Favourite:

McLaren F1 GTR

For me, this one has the best driving feel out of all the cars in AMS2. The FFB communicates everything that the tyres are doing on the road. It's powerful and challenging but not insanely so like the Group C. Plus the V12 sounds glorious and it has the classic mid-90s sports car look.

Honorable mention:

Formula Trainer

Probably the best representation of the Seta tyre model, which allows sliding but at the cost of momentum and just gives a good feeling of rubber on road. Requires precision to drive fast without being unresponsive or feeling at all slow.

Least favourite:

Aussie Racing Cars

This "car" has a horrible driving feel, as the short wheelbase makes it act like a shopping cart. The slightest nudge will send you spinning or tumbling over. It also has an extremely annoying engine noise.

My favourites arent acutally AMS2 only, because I basically like and dislike the same cars in all sims. But specifically for AMS2, taking bugs and so on into account:

Favourite:

Copa Classic & Hot Cars.
Those are the most fun historic low powered cars for me currently, even surpassing the Alfa GTA in AC for the enjoyment factor. There is a lot of variety when it comes to drivetrain layouts within the classes.

GT Classics. I've been waiting forever for these types of cars being implemented, and especially the Porsche is my kind of car. Needs some setup work though, stock setup isn't very good.

Honorable mentions: Copa Trucks and P4s

Least Favourite:

TC Vintage Mini.
While I like the car and the handling, through my wheel the FFB feels very grainy, problably caused by the stiff suspention and small wheels (the karts have the same issue).

GT3s. Apart from them still having too much grip currently, GT3 cars are everywhere and are just boring by now. If I ever do get the urge to drive them, ACC or rF2 are my go to place for those.
I'll have to give the Hot Cars a try. Never really had the urge to drive them but I bet the racing is close and fun.

Favourite:

McLaren F1 GTR

For me, this one has the best driving feel out of all the cars in AMS2. The FFB communicates everything that the tyres are doing on the road. It's powerful and challenging but not insanely so like the Group C. Plus the V12 sounds glorious and it has the classic mid-90s sports car look.

Honorable mention:

Formula Trainer

Probably the best representation of the Seta tyre model, which allows sliding but at the cost of momentum and just gives a good feeling of rubber on road. Requires precision to drive fast without being unresponsive or feeling at all slow.

Least favourite:

Aussie Racing Cars

This "car" has a horrible driving feel, as the short wheelbase makes it act like a shopping cart. The slightest nudge will send you spinning or tumbling over. It also has an extremely annoying engine noise.
I dig the Mclaren as well. The sound and look is fantastic. It still felt a bit off to me but not so much I can't enjoy it.

Favourites:
No comment. That’s not a sleight against the overall car population. I just find myself bouncing around too often between the cars I like to really specify one or two favorites.

Least Favourites:
All the FWD cars. I can come to terms with some of them but I do not actually like driving any of them.

BMW M4 GT4: I really want to like this car, but as of v1.2.2 when I last tried it the car reminds me of the GT4 Camaro in its flawed early days. Just way too much power-on oversteer far too often.

Favourite: Ultima Race

Least Favourite: The Trucks

Some cars in AMS2 are awesome to drive, some are not, but thats the same with most sims, so no drama.

Note: Shame companies like RSS cant make some cars for purchase.

Favourite: Ultima Race

Least Favourite: The Trucks

Some cars in AMS2 are awesome to drive, some are not, but thats the same with most sims, so no drama.

Note: Shame companies like RSS cant make some cars for purchase.
Haha, the trucks are (for me) the thing I'd drive in an offseason as a one-off fun race. They are not fun at all to drive so I would agree with you there.

Current favorite is the BMW M1 Pro Car. Such a lively car requiring all your attention to drive fast.
I have a sweet spot for H-clutch cars in general.
Also been enjoying pushing hard the BMW M8 GTE on the Nords.
Least favorites are all the fast F1 open wheelers.

Last edited:
Although I haven't fully driven every car in AMS2 there certainly seems to be a pretty big range in quality from what I am experiencing. From what I have driven:

Favorite:
GT4.
These are just incredible to drive and they feel different from one another. They can be as safe as you like with TC and ABS, or turn them off to wrestle the cars around the track and really have to manage throttle and brake. REALLY enjoying these. The one knock is that the Camaro does have floaty steering.

Stock Cars. These feel like the perfect league car. Very believable and a lot of fun. P2P adds a nice strategy element to races. All the different years feel very good. They seem to have a little less of the dart-ish behavior that made them less fun to drive before.

Least Favorite:

Honestly these cars magnify the issues that persist with this game that aren't as noticeable in other cars and for that reason they just don't feel realistic at all and I hate driving them. There is too much grip under the limit and too little at the limit. The result is not only poor immersion, but snappy and annoying behavior. The other issue is that turning the steering wheel more gives you more grip/turn in. This just isn't realistic. Combine that with the fact we only have the softest and grippiest compound and it just kills my immersion.
I’ve just started a custom championship and I’m in gt4s they are as you say fantastic. I’m in the McLaren and it’s a terrific drive.

On a side note I’ve not driven a Gt4 on ams2 for some time, the recent updates have really improved everything.

This sim is extremely good now imo.

Favourite:

McLaren F1 GTR

Honorable mention:

Formula Trainer

Least favourite:

Aussie Racing Cars

The Form Trainer....what a great pick.

I can second the Ultima GTR and the McLaren GTR for anyone looking for suggestions of things to try. I checked them out based on the earlier comments and I have been having a whale of a time off-line. I know the sim has it's fair share of flaws, but those two cars have given me the most amount of hassle free fun I have had for quite a while

Favorite:
GT4.

Least Favorite:

Agree with everything here definitely - but the more I search the more I can grudingly accept the feel of several cars, while a few seem top notch territory; though they would be let down by the progressing grip tuning perhaps somehow. And the fact that unless the game is on the highest grip setting its just simply not much fun to drive. The model falls apart and especially with the F1's its so glaring, that as good as the couple I mention below are, its passé; it just doesn't inspire one to return to the game overly much.

I would say this is one of the biggest reasons why I give this game the short-shift these days. At some point the open wheelers became horrible compared to how they used to be. They compound everything that is wrong with the game. That is, apart from two. Gen 3 car1 and 3 iirc, its a turbo classic-modern and car 1...not the earliest ones, the middle ones. And not the reiza ones. IIRC I mean the 1991 geoff crammond f1 grand prix type cars, from the microprose game. Thats how I remember. Those feel pretty darn good. Kind of like up there with an Assetto Corsa Williams mod car I am thinking of, from the same era, kind of up there. But not quite, it would be the AC mod Williams fw19. Obviously AMS2 is a long way off AC but the AMS2 cars I mentioned (or those I am referring to) are actually fun. I explain below that even then they are no substitute long term.

Even then they do not have the nuance of the other sims. But believe it or not they do move around the track fairly good. Its just the little things in between that the madness engine is simply not picking up. So while they do behave in an outline kind of fashion they simply do not colour in the picture so to speak. And only those two cars.

Totally flummoxing for a game billed as the pinnacle or culmination of a period of time, ten years.

This is why i think the game was made to conform to YouTube videos of track-day drivers - the cars copy the outline of how one races round a track but not the 'feel' of it. Its not my intention to offend, only convey

All other cars its difficult to say since they change so much. But even the group C which were/are a lot of fun lost a lot of their luster. So I can only ever limit driving many cars to certain tracks and not all cars. I won't touch the gt3's much if at all, maybe the bmw and merc thats it, and the group 1's are ok, but all feel flat.

The rocco is simply really good. Maybe a couple more p1's or p3's etc.

Its not the sort of game that makes you hold it highly each time you play it.

There are only so many times I can justify taking the rocco round nord 24 hours for example. The game is let down in so many regards. Bathurst has always been a great track in AMS2 but the cars one can barely bother to drive round it. And despite with Bathurst one wanting to take the GT3s around it, for example, you can't guarantee each month the gt3's are going to be believable.

Yes the GT4's are quite good usually, and the porsche cup can be ok, and the rsr porsche, gt1's, but they can also be flat, where you would want spritely.

So this is the problem. A very disjointed game with cars, a couple of standouts. Even then you need to be contesting a pretty close race to 'forget' about the blemishes as there's so many. It can be fun, but the cars are dire when you consider out of 120 of them, I only mentioned 3 or 4 I hold in high regard, which limits the utility of the game. Oh I also wish the Ultima was great again, if its so that would be good, but I doubt the game will be played this month and it could change by next.

And for some reason the stock car has never changed and always been good. The trouble is, look at the playing numbers - the least popular car to drive - and limited to a few niche race series round the globe - the stock car (nascar aside and those) is of limited value. As good as they can be, most people find them odd to drive.

edit: I actually use default progressing. I use default ffb too in sensible amounts. The grip is much better these past 2 months. But maybe the cars are never all or majority firing on all cylinders so to speak.

EG: driving the m6 bmw gt3 across all top games, the ams2 one seems stilted and jagged by comparison, almost as if its a static object! I even took it to AMS2's best track by far the nordshliefe dlc, GT Nürburgring track. Somewhere AMS2 has definitely missed a trick. The procar by comparison is very good - but that car is a veritable brick lol, the game suits it, and thats not saying much though it is definitely fun; but there's only so much one car can do in this class/style of race

- then switching over to the custom downloaded file prepared by the poster iirc with the kiwi bird for his emblem, that improves things but the cars do have glaring issues. at this point going back to the rocco made a really good race, but the f1s I mentioned well not as good im afraid; as good as his ffb file is, the BMW then seems like I am moving a heavy cube across the track!

You literally can't win with this game. 3 laps with the rocco and its starting to handle really lovely for the slidy mess that it is. 3 laps with anything else and you begin to wish you had a car bomb in the game and a cliff. Invariably you will be doing good in an intense race and just before the end, at 10 out of 20, on hard, the AI will clip you. And thats that. Its a good racing game for a select few cars (in a limited quantity type way even then but genuine fun), but ultimately also naff in many other cars in terms of driving and racing.

Last edited:
I have also noticed that in AMS2 you need to basically take perfect lines moreso than other games since basically it gets floppy the model of driving if you sway outside of that. its probably since the driving is so slippery.

But then if you drive slower this is not a problem. So whatever car I am in, I remind myself its basically a 'demo' as such, and to drive slower and the races can get intense. It adds five or ten percentage points, then with warm tyres and a few laps under your belt be it in practice its a bit better but lol its not exactly ideal is it. I think its down to the tyre model. So while its not worse off maybe, its just different to drive with. In AMS2 the ffb does 50% of the driving for you. I turn it way down to medium levels, 60 gain for example.

EG2 look at guerrilla mods gt4s in AC, amazing cars (that you do have to look a little harder to even find them as they are not on this website may be try gt planet and their facebook), that they had the advantage of not having to work on the engine of the game at the same time. AMS2 is working on both cars and engine it seems and building game components like career mode. You just do not get, imo anyway with the tyre model the way it is the same kind of racing, but the gt4s in ams2 are not too bad overall. I think the multiple fronts or work kind of thing has set them back.

This means in AMS2 in order to even play it I must promise myself I will do the worlds most 'strict' driving. I do not accelerate in turns where its not needed, the mid turn can ruin everything, and slow in fast out never had so much meaning. Even with decent setups. Raceroom will let you have a more holistic driving experience, and the AI is really good too, so is ams2, but the thing about ams2 is its more focussed on the driving I think, raceroom does do a lot more, but I think hard to explain, ams2 is below raceroom and ac, acc, but if you focus on the driving you can kind of see what they have their. Its not holistic, but it is a bunch of cars that need really good throttle control to the point it overwhelms the sim imo.

Maybe that overwhelming is ok - but when you take the gt3 amg to nurburging and it rotates like its on a dime at 80 km's/ hour upon braking - like in a semi-circle kind of quick turn, no you start to see its not good; being that it seems to ignore physics for a moment and is baked into the game engine I think, it used to happen at much lower speeds since you couldn't turn the cars at all upon braking hard. Yes the driving physics around that is generally decent enough, but things like that stop it in its tracks or are so glaring.

Another slidy mess, at least in default as it gets tightened up a bit with camber and tyres and driveline increases.... oh yes then arb both front and back lift 2 with back lifted one more than front to 7 and 6 I think. You can see this with guerrilla mods BMW M6 GT3, ver 1.4, its really good at the very same track. No comparison really, as it follows all the laws of the game but I guess those guys have not finished it yet as its definitely not an ACC level car but its still good even if it has that in its name; some others of theirs definitely are. Just that AMS2 doesn't have visual anomality's much maybe a lod here and there once in a while, CSP 1.6 beta 93 definitely does have a lot or a few visual glitches unfortunately.

In AMS2 the same situation probably sets them back further with all the revisions and development. AC has been stable for several years now, only enhanced by CSP. By the time you put the rear sway bar up one notch with the above you can make the slidy mess turn into a solid car that can indeed feel like the ACC version. In AMS2 the game engine is not mature enough perhaps to be able to achieve that. For me personally I had to increase the ffb with the plus key to 115-120 to make it proper (meaning the wheel turns back hard on itself like the wheels are moving it by itself if you take your hand off). In AC this situation with sliding does not ruin the cars but in AMS2 it does. Or hampers them. Using camber extravaganza you can test further in AC but in AMS2 you need to guess the camber when you can.

What ams2 does have going for it when driving it may be lousy(er) but the races are more intense as cars compete better for spots. AI in AC can be flat a lot of the time

Note that camber in ams2 you judge from tyre temps, 5-10 difference. when you do in ams2 what you do in ac and this is with the 60 and 50 drivetrain, it becomes that stilted and jilted feel of a car I mentioned in the other post above.

edit: and then I forgot I dont play this much - for the bmw gt3 turning engine braking right up 8 ish and traction control down to maybe 3 or 4 improves it a lot. It is however definitely on par with forza, and miles away from ACC and even AC and raceroom is more a wholesome experience. They just cant get the movement in that madness engine right.

So I dont care what any one tells me even the steelcast video maker guy. Its rubbish. But I am not saying it is not a little fun. As an entertainment product it works.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 329 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing