Fast shifting

I heard that for cars that use a stick and not paddles, actually using a clutch and a stick shifter is faster in the game than using the paddles all the time..

This correct?
I would say no, but that is only with personal experience with the F40 a long time ago.
After slamming down the clutch and switching gears, the game needed time to actually switch gears, and when you declutched too early it wouldn't even shift at all.
Never used stick ever again, only the buttons on my H-pad.

True and not true. Case sensitive. Assetto Corsa models different gearbox types quite efficiently.

Cars with paddle shift change gears with speed according to a value set for that car. This cannot be altered. For example, the sequential racecar-transmissions shift faster than the dual-clutch of the Alpha 4C

Most race cars with a stick shift have a dog ring gearbox. This means you can change up without the clutch, sometimes even faster than with paddles. Downshifting is an art of its own....

Regular synchromesh transmissions need clutching up and down, but since a shifter doesn´t have FFB (plz Fanatec!), the speed of the shift depends on the driver. IRL, the synchro prevents too fast shifts, but of course this cannot be simulated, so crazy fast shifts are possible. But, a bad shift is an easy way to ruin a tranny or upset the car.

When driving fast, few inputs is always best inputs. Shift as little as you can, as smoothly as you can. Not much laptime there anyway.

Last edited:
The difference is maybe a couple tenths at a small track like Magione and still less than half a second at a track the size of Mugello or Imola. Add in the fact that one missed shift will make somebody lose much more than that advantage, along with paddle users being unable to damage the transmission, and it seems pretty balanced to me.

Well half a second per lap at a track like that, perhaps also spa.. sounds pretty much to me if you consider a race. It amounts to quite an advantage.
That doesn't happen for GT and modern Formula cars where everyone uses paddle shifting, and this is the place where lap times need to be more perfect. But in manual cars, especially the older ones, these are more manually driven cars, and not as robotic/clean/perfect, as the GT and Formula cars require you to be.
Maybe in a hotlap competition it is noticed the shifting time differences in these manual cars, but in a race there are so many more things to worry when braking for corners. There is a whole action of letting go the steering wheel with one hand and coordinate your hand and feet to perform the shifting and braking, clutch with heel and toe. While other drivers can just keep two hands on the steering wheel and have both feet on the brake and gas at all times.

What might make the remaining little advantage tinier for paddles vs H-shifter for races online .... would be an added server setting allowing to forbid the 'Automatic Throttle Blip' for those having a wheel without clutch and H-Shifter..... it would add a little bit of difficulty for the paddle users.

The biggest loss of time with H-Shifter is mostly a possible gear error ( nearly impossible error with the paddles ) with a middle or low quality shifter ( G25 or G27 for example ), the fact using just one hand while the other is busy with the shifter and some slower clutching-shifting for older cars.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back