Fanatec Wheel pin broke... And I fear it is worse than that...

So, my Fanatec P1 rm got a broken pin after 4 hours of use. Houwever, bad news don't seem to stop there. I believe that the pin is lodged inside the wheel base. I was looking for the pin around the floor and couldn't find it then it hit me... I pointed a flashlight to the holes and it appears that one of the holes in the base has something wedged deep inside of it. Now before I tear down the wheelbase, I want to know if I am seeing things or if this is actually something that can happen because if it is, I have some words to say to Fanatec since their crappy quality managed to ruin not just the rim but the wheelbase too.

Miguel,
yes it is something that can happen, try this page for a fix:
https://fanatec.redfirecracker.co.uk/
and good luck

I had seen that page before. Sadly it just covers the rim side of things. I am affraid a broken pin might be wedged inside the wheelbase. If it is, it is quite deep and no idea how it got there... maybe vibration of the wheel pushed the broken pin further in? It was not wedges inside the wheelbase shaft as others I have seen and I can't find it on the ground. When i shine a flash light on it I see a slught copery reflectiom from that pin socket alone...

Upvote 0
Why not ask them directly? Surely, after only 4 hours of use, it's still covered under warranty.
I already talked to them about the rim. They will be replacing it. The wheelbase I didn't mention as I only noticed it later. I will give them a call today too but I am picking up a new rim today and ai wanted to know if I risked damaging the wheelbase due to an old pin being wedged inside of it

Upvote 0
I already talked to them about the rim. They will be replacing it. The wheelbase I didn't mention as I only noticed it later. I will give them a call today too but I am picking up a new rim today and ai wanted to know if I risked damaging the wheelbase due to an old pin being wedged inside of it
Well, after calling support again, they recommended I use a needle to poke the sockets and see if it penetrated the same and sadly, where the pin broke, it is clogged. So the broken pin is indeed wedged about 3 mm inside the wheel base. They advised me to RMA both rim and wheelbase. This is really annoying...

Upvote 0
This is probably a very risky/stupid idea and I don't think Fanatec would give you permission to try this.. glueing something slightly thinner in diameter to the trapped pin and seeing if you could pull it out.

I'd try that if the base was out of warranty but seeing as they are willing to let you rma both pieces, that's the safest bet even though you'll have a lot of down time :(

Upvote 0
This is probably a very risky/stupid idea and I don't think Fanatec would give you permission to try this.. glueing something slightly thinner in diameter to the trapped pin and seeing if you could pull it out.

I'd try that if the base was out of warranty but seeing as they are willing to let you rma both pieces, that's the safest bet even though you'll have a lot of down time :(

There is a lot more surface area on the surrounding wall than to the pin itself. Personally I wouldn't risk putting glue in there.

What I might try is a very fine thread drill bit or tap if you have one with a high quality tap handle. Maybe an M1 tap or smaller.

tinyTap.jpg

Upvote 0
There is a lot more surface area on the surrounding wall than to the pin itself. Personally I wouldn't risk putting glue in there.

What I might try is a very fine thread drill bit or tap if you have one with a high quality tap handle. Maybe an M1 tap or smaller.

View attachment 322086
Agree on the glue. It would be nigh impossible to extract the pin that way. Slight mistake and you have glue on the walls and then it is another problem. How would you use the drill bit. You have a fanatec wheel, you know the conector. How would I use it?

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 119 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 161 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 304 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing