The PC gaming industry is loosing contact with reality as of late. 1500€ For a glorified brushless motor glued to an encoder is crazy, and even more crazy that for that price you don't even have the cheapest of the cheapest of the wheels included in the pack. You have to buy the 1500€ base + a steering wheel + shift paddles + a aluminium profile rig + a set of pedals + a pedal mounting plate for the aluminium rig...

The industry is loosing contact with reality, most of the people can't afford nor justify to spend 600 to 1500€ in a graphics card every 3 years, nor 600 to 1200 in a processor + 150 to 300 for a motherboard, and 100 to 150 for ram modules every 4 years, and simracing hardware is following the same route. Back when logitech launched the g25 it was the most expensive comertial hardware in that era and it was just 300€, now we are talking about a base that is useless by itself for the totally reasonable price of 1500€. The simracing hobbie is starting to become unafordable and way too exclusive.

Nowadays it seems that either you have a g27 or one of the thrustmaster glorified and unreliable toys or a DD1 + one of their very expensive steering wheels + Heusinkveld pedals + aluminium frame, this hobby is becoming as absurd as the photography one, full of people with either entry 300€ body cameras or 1500 to 3000€ full frame body cameras with nothing in between.

The industry is milking us real good, I've been wanting to upgrade from my g25 with DIY pedals and DIY controller for a long time. But after researching all the available options I see the daunting prices of new hardware and even if I technically can afford the purchase making an effort, I can't justify to myself to spend 300€ in what it is basically a facelift G25. Or go to the next step of 500 to 600€ that feel like a waste in what it feels like a mostly plastic glorified toy that seems to be unreliable, or then go crazy and spend a similar amount of money of a 7 years old used car in a DD1 rig with all the usual aditional hardware.
We are the only ones to blame. We keep buying their stuff, that's the only issue. Companies like Fanatec and Granity Devices wouldn't offer such products, if there weren't people buying it obviously.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

1500€ For a glorified brushless motor glued to an encoder is crazy,
Retail on these industrial motors is pretty high. Then you need to design and build controller, software, FW. I do not think it's that unreasonable considering the price of the components and RD.
@TedBrosby- , you built SC1 recently with much cheaper Mige motor, how much materials ran you?
I remember my DIY OSW based on Argon from US builder ran me a pretty penny, more than SC1 Pro in fact.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Hej, this is an advert. Only positive things summed up. Nothing bad about failing or broken parts, or the quality control, or the driver-situation, the knocks, and many more. Or even neutral findings. Yep.. this is an sponsored advert.

Edit: A good review has everything covered; bad, mixed, positive. This is not a review.
Totally agree, it's more then obvious.

Upvote 0
I have had DD1 over a year overall its pretty good. Driver issue comments here are fully justified though, that is a definite con and people need to know this. I also wish these "reviews" on Fanatec stuff were a little bit less uninformed/seemingly advertorial. And mentioning the DD1 is important as well since that is the togo product for most people. I dont even use my torque key...

Upvote 0
The industry is loosing contact with reality, most of the people can't afford nor justify to spend 600 to 1500€ in a graphics card every 3 years, nor 600 to 1200 in a processor + 150 to 300 for a motherboard, and 100 to 150 for ram modules every 4 years, and simracing hardware is following the same route. Back when logitech launched the g25 it was the most expensive comertial hardware in that era and it was just 300€, now we are talking about a base that is useless by itself for the totally reasonable price of 1500€. The simracing hobbie is starting to become unafordable and way too exclusive.

No one is forcing people to buy the expensive stuff. Personally, I finally bought some Fanatec stuff last summer when the pandemic cancelled my plans to travel to Europe. Some of the money I would have spent on that trip was spent on sim racing gear, but I didn't buy a DD wheelbase because it's way too expensive. I bought the Csl elite wheelbase, a wheel and a set of pedals and I'm more than happy with that stuff. That said, had I gone to Germany as I wanted to, I would have kept racing with my trusty G29.

Simracing is a hobby, just like any other. A friend of mine is passionate about vintage guitars and he makes quite a few sacrifices so he can buy some quality instruments every 2-3 years. A really good vintage guitar will easily cost as much as a fancy DD wheelbase. It all comes down to what you're able and willing to spend. Like anything in a liberal economy, it's all about supply and demand.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I must say I always find it a little amusing when people seem upset or annoyed at the cost of Sim Racing hardware. To be honest if you think it is too expensive simply don't buy it. Sim Racing is a expensive hobby without doubt but so is skiing or bike riding at a certain level. There are many options between this level and entry (even in the world of direct drive). In addition there is several people very critical of Fanatec on these forums from my experience and rightfully so in some cases I'm sure (for me their driver release schedule and lack of features in Fanalab), but you have to admit they do build respectable products at many levels and are very well supported in all the titles. I just find a minor sacrifice in possible torque/definition is made up for in simplified setup and ecosystem.

Upvote 0
I must say I always find it a little amusing when people seem upset or annoyed at the cost of Sim Racing hardware. To be honest if you think it is too expensive simply don't buy it. Sim Racing is a expensive hobby without doubt but so is skiing or bike riding at a certain level. There are many options between this level and entry (even in the world of direct drive). In addition there is several people very critical of Fanatec on these forums from my experience and rightfully so in some cases I'm sure (for me their driver release schedule and lack of features in Fanalab), but you have to admit they do build respectable products at many levels and are very well supported in all the titles. I just find a minor sacrifice in possible torque/definition is made up for in simplified setup and ecosystem.
Exactly.
No one should ever need to justify why they bought product x and not product y, everyone can do what they want with their money :)

Upvote 0
The noting in "known issues" of the jolting ITM has been in the last 4 releases, but the actual issue has been known since its launch, just that in last four releases they decided to let us know they know about it.. and let us know the fix is to just not use it.. nothing to do with the forum replies.

Imagine buying a car and they tell you "we know reverse gear does not work, just dont reverse and you will be fine". The ITM was a selling point on these devices in the insane marketing.. to date useful only for looking at a fanatec logo.
You can use the ITM on the DD2, just toggle back to default Fanatec before shutting down :coffee: .... Worked for me, before I switched to Simhub overlays (easier to read on monitor screen) :)

Upvote 0
The PC gaming industry is loosing contact with reality as of late. 1500€ For a glorified brushless motor glued to an encoder is crazy, and even more crazy that for that price you don't even have the cheapest of the cheapest of the wheels included in the pack. You have to buy the 1500€ base + a steering wheel + shift paddles + a aluminium profile rig + a set of pedals + a pedal mounting plate for the aluminium rig...

Nowadays it seems that either you have a g27 or one of the thrustmaster glorified and unreliable toys or a DD1 + one of their very expensive steering wheels + Heusinkveld pedals + aluminium frame, this hobby is becoming as absurd as the photography one, full of people with either entry 300€ body cameras or 1500 to 3000€ full frame body cameras with nothing in between.

The industry is milking us real good, I've been wanting to upgrade from my g25 with DIY pedals and DIY controller for a long time. But after researching all the available options I see the daunting prices of new hardware and even if I technically can afford the purchase making an effort, I can't justify to myself to spend 300€ in what it is basically a facelift G25. Or go to the next step of 500 to 600€ that feel like a waste in what it feels like a mostly plastic glorified toy that seems to be unreliable, or then go crazy and spend a similar amount of money of a 7 years old used car in a DD1 rig with all the usual aditional hardware.

Don't get into HiFI then. This is where a "budget" high end system will cost in excess of €50'000. (it's mostly bullshit by the way)

Whether you like it or not, the truth is that pretty much all hobbies have a high end price point, and compared to some of the hobbies I've had such as photography or music production sim racing is at the lower end of the cost point, even for the high end gear (excluding motion rig stuff).

Sure not everybody can afford it, but that's life - there was a time where I couldn't afford a game for a PS1 without saving for 3 months.

Upvote 0
That's because not everyone has problems with Fanatecs gear! I've run every single "beta" driver up to the current offering and never once had a jolt, pop, etc. etc. My DD2 has been nothing but 100% wonderful! Same goes for the DD1 I owned, The multiple V2.5s (on again off again racing for awhile), the V2, the V1! I've owned just about all of their high end offerings and never once had a single issue as with much of the rest of the Fanatec owners. Fanatec is a massive market leader and sell millions of bases and wheels. Its mostly the people who've had issues that come on forums and social media and vent their frustrations, in which they have every right to! But the majority of owners aren't writing pissed of messages on forums because their enjoying their wheel bases problem free.
Granted, but that doesn't alter the fact that this "review" came off more like an extended advertisement

Upvote 0
Granted, but that doesn't alter the fact that this "review" came off more like an extended advertisement
We're going to work on trying to give a more balanced view. We will take a look in to the history of a product and mention any recurring known issues where possible.

I know its not the viewers problem, but as I've said, this was only my second review ever, probably my last too Hahaha I can't take the criticism, I take it way too personally.

But the comments about shilling and it being an advert reminded me of something. Jimmy broadbent did a video reviewing a Toyota yaris recently. He was accused of shilling and it being an advert too. He was just as excited as I was to be trying this toy he'd been desperate to try. People said he staged certain parts, and that he didn't mention any negatives. He didn't stage any of it and he didn't really find any negatives with his limited time with the product.

Much like my video.

But you have my word, we will try our best to give a balanced view moving forward.

Upvote 0
Honestly i don't see it as an ad since he clearly just wanted to try a DD wheel at his own rig at home and he wrote to Fanatec since he is already a customer. The review would have been the same for any other DD wheel out there, since everybody so far, keeps telling that they can't go back. Same as VR i guess. For me it's just a review from a guy trying out a DD wheel in comparison to his old belt drive system. I was not expecting a technical review at all, since there are a lot of other people out there doing massive tests and comparisons and if i don't run into any problems you can't tell people about it. I used a Fanatec porsche gt3 wheel for about 7 years and just switched to a thrustmaster ts-pc, because i wanted to try something different. I had no problems at all with my Fanatec gear except for some centering issues in the last 4 years, which could be fixed with a 3 button press. I am still runnig the CSR(not elite) pedals and an shh shifter, my second best immersion expansion after my jetseat. :)

Upvote 0
About hobby pricing -

I don't Know? I've found a lot of High end Sim hardware that offered a great value! Both the Aiolog shifter, and handbrake is incredibly priced for what you get. My Proto simtech pedals were a steal at the price I paid. Even the 80/20 cockpits seem to sell for not much more than the material bought separate. The Simicube2 was painful to buy, but what I got looks, and feels Industrial strength. The package is much more than a generic motor with a name slapped on the side. My one gripe were I concur is the price of after market wheels. Fanatic seems to be able to produce decent mid level wheels for a OK price, but the other wheels of decent quality all seem to approach $1000. I just can't see it....

Personally I'm happy to have these items available. I just don't care for the plastic best buy hardware, but glad it's there for those that need it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not the most thorough, technical or informative review.
I also understand that we live in the era of specialization. The era of the 'gurus'.
But we need to hear the average Joe as well;)
And in my eyes the reviewer is the average sim racer.
Like me, like you, like everybody most probably.
And I spent some pleasant 10 minutes by watching this well made video.

I own a DD1 since last July
And I absolutely love it!
0 flex, 0 problems, 100 satisfaction.
Yes I have some jolts. Max 1 or 2 per gaming hour.
And its true that I found it a bit worrying in the beginning.
But I really don't care as long as Fanatec confirms that no harm can be done to the base or the wheel.
Cause the jolts are so rare that do not affect negatively the gameplay. You don't lose control or even have to slow down when they occur.

Of course I use the default screen as Fanatec suggests.
And I don't feel I am losing something.
I understand it can be interesting or useful to watch the ITM or analysis screen.
But honestly, who can watch a tiny screen when hitting the apex in full throttle?
I certainly know that it can be important for other users though.
And in my opinion Fanatec should remove this info from the product page till the issue is cured.
You cannot sell a product claiming that you offer an ITM screen and then suggesting to the users not to use it.

Another permanent complain is the beta drivers.
But again, why should I bother if the drivers are named beta, delta or gama as long as they work properly and they improve the experience release by release?
The first driver I used was 361 and I have seen some serious improvement since then.
Not impressive as the improvement driver 352 brought over 328 according users feedback.
I also remember the 'big' reviewers changing their initial reviews once tried 352 driver cause they were saying that they feel they have a different base!
And this is another positive thing about my DD1.
That I have the sensation that there is still headroom for improvement with the upcoming drivers.

I believe that is important to follow the instructions when updating.
I follow the exact same routine everytime.

This is a great piece of hardware my fellow sim racers.
And even though it cost me a lot of money, I do not regret a single penny.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
[QUOTE="Fastard, post: 3320400, member: 1192039"
[/QUOTE]

That’s the most important sentence. It’s a hobby and it’s meant to be fun. If you enjoy it, good for you!:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
[QUOTE="Fastard, post: 3320400, member: 1192039"

That’s the most important sentence. It’s a hobby and it’s meant to be fun. If you enjoy it, good for you!:thumbsup:
[/QUOTE]
I've sunk about six grand into my Rig over the years, that's the money that I used to spend on cigarettes, until I managed to kick the habit six years ago.
Every time my wife complains about how much money I spend on my sim rig, I remind her how I made it possible ( by giving up smoking), and that she still smokes. :D
I tell her that if she gave up smoking she could buy more handbags and shoes, and she always agrees with me, and doesn't get mad at all ( not :) )

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Fanatec is a massive market leader and sell millions of bases and wheels.
Citation needed. You might be overestimating Fanatec's sales by a couple orders of magnitude. They're not selling millions of bases. I would be surprised if it was tens of thousands, even.

That's not really "PC gaming industry", more like "simracing hardware industry". And you don't *have* to buy all that. Not by a long shot. Most of this industry is simply catering for their main audience - rich middle aged men who are willing to pay thousands for all that to feel like race drivers they could never become. You can safely ignore all that and just get whatever you can afford. You won't have less fun. You might even have more fun.

There's nothing wrong with entry-level cameras, especially nowadays. Even an entry level DSLR is perfectly capable of making professional quality shots, and it won't be the limiting factor of how good your shots are. Lenses are a bit more tricky, but there's still plenty of quality affordable lenses, you don't have to get a Canon L lens for thousands to get a good lens. You don't need top of the line camera and lens to make good pictures. You don't have to spend a fortune. Money won't buy you fun and they will certainly not buy you skill or experience. I've seen an awful lot of bad shots made by photographers who had no idea what they were doing, despite using a full frame top of the line camera and several of the most expensive lenses, all probably worth double the price of my car. Just get what you can afford and enjoy yourself. Again, most people who tell you you need this expensive equipment or that for this or that shot don't know what they're talking about. On plenty of occasions, I've proven people like that wrong, creating images that supposedly were not possible to take with my equipment. Turns out they were possible to take, those guys just didn't put in the effort required (because they went for their usual solution instead, as in throwing more money at the problem in the hope that it will solve itself), or they just believed what others told them without even trying.

And it's like that with most hobbies (and really, not just hobbies). Even simracing. Spending a lot of money is not hard, anyone can do that as long as they have the money. Doesn't mean it's necessary.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Citation needed. You might be overestimating Fanatec's sales by a couple orders of magnitude. They're not selling millions of bases. I would be surprised if it was tens of thousands, even.
Agree, here's some financial info on them. 70 employees, 600K EUR revenue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 119 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 163 14.8%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 305 27.6%